V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few fatboys with a blacked out or smoke tinted tail light lenses. Where are you guy's getting them from? Thanks

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Funny you mention that, I just ordered one yesterday and it on its way to me from hereI will show a pic if i can when it come in. Due in on tuesday.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Maddogs700srx said:
I have seen a few fatboys with a blacked out or smoke tinted tail light lenses. Where are you guy's getting them from? Thanks
JP cycles and Walters Workshop have them, but the problem for me has been to get a laydown taillight with blacked out sides AND with the tag light down.

Anyone have a source for that. I am trying to acheive this by painting and clear coating right now, but can't seem to get it to polish out to a high gloss thus far.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything LED off of eBay, unless you know specifically who makes it and how it performs... that being said, Walters Workshop makes some decent looking laydown lenses.

8-Ball, what if you didn't have a plate light window at all and used a few covertly placed white leds or a small strip of white LEDs for the plate?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just put one on my night train. Kuryakyn LED Low Profile Taillight. $99.95 at H D of Seattle (formerly Cyclebarn) , same price as J&P. It can be mounted either with the license plate light pointing up or down. 15min install. Everything, including dielecric gell, included. Standing up after sitting on the floor to do the install was the hardest part. Ernie-Seattle. BTW, lots of dielectric gell left over to do your turn signal bulbs or whatever. Almost forgot, you can get it with red or smoked lens.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
I wouldn't buy anything LED off of eBay, unless you know specifically who makes it and how it performs... that being said, Walters Workshop makes some decent looking laydown lenses.

8-Ball, what if you didn't have a plate light window at all and used a few covertly placed white leds or a small strip of white LEDs for the plate?
I don't want to get into LED either...

I was hoping not to have to go outside of the taillight to light the license plate.

At this point, my arm is falling off with the polishing thing, but it is getting closer. I have no idea how it will hold up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey Carl,
What year Night Train did you put the light on?
I'm after something wider, darker, slicker, etc. for an 03.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
8-Ball said:
I don't want to get into LED either...

I was hoping not to have to go outside of the taillight to light the license plate.

At this point, my arm is falling off with the polishing thing, but it is getting closer. I have no idea how it will hold up.

have you tried any of the taillight tint spray, on the inside?

also... you could poke some 3mm white LEDs, very discretely, through the bottom of the lens, just to light up the plate.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
have you tried any of the taillight tint spray, on the inside?

also... you could poke some 3mm white LEDs, very discretely, through the bottom of the lens, just to light up the plate.
Hey Dr, I couldnt' get at the inside so I used it on the outside and then applied a clear coat.

I may go to your idea of drilling the bottom for some LEDs... haven't looked for a no-tag light, blacked out, laydown yet.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
8-Ball said:
Hey Dr, I couldnt' get at the inside so I used it on the outside and then applied a clear coat.

I may go to your idea of drilling the bottom for some LEDs... haven't looked for a no-tag light, blacked out, laydown yet.

I know Drag sells laydown light housings with the tag window facing down, but I think they are all red.

BTW, I like the all red on your fender... you have the red signal lenses and a red taillight against the white paint... clean.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Carl LaFong said:
I just put one on my night train. Kuryakyn LED Low Profile Taillight. $99.95 at H D of Seattle (formerly Cyclebarn) , same price as J&P. It can be mounted either with the license plate light pointing up or down. 15min install. Everything, including dielecric gell, included. Standing up after sitting on the floor to do the install was the hardest part. Ernie-Seattle. BTW, lots of dielectric gell left over to do your turn signal bulbs or whatever. Almost forgot, you can get it with red or smoked lens.
you got a link or a picture of how that works? last I knew, taillight only go on one way or the other, depending on the bike, and the plate window is molded into the lens.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I had the Kuryakyn tinted model on my 03 Night Train. To make it darker and blend more into the \black bike I had a friend put a couple of coats of black paint on it (after I scuffed it with a white scuffpad). Then he cleared it and it was as dark as I liked and bright enough that I didn't have any problems riding at night.

Plus there was enough light that the plate was still lit up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry, don't have a pic or link, don't know how to do links anyway. The Kuryakyn Led taillight is " plug and play". Remove your taillight lens cover, remove bulb, smear dielectric gell, install gasket, plug LED unit into light bulb socket, position LED unit where taillight lens cover was, install screws. No load equilizer or wireing changes needed. The unit is symetrical, you install it with the license plate illuminating LEDS pointing up or down as needed. Its brighter than the old bulb and is claimed to last 100,000 hours. Couldn't be easier. Next week I'm going to get a Kuryakyn run-stop-turn module, $70. Just plug in under the seat. Makes your rear turn signals function as tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals. Again, "plug and play". This unit is also a load equalizer if you want to put LED bulbs in your turn signals, I do, brighter and longer lasting, about $12 ea. In some states you would have use red lenses or bulbs in your turn signals since they are now tail lights and brake lights. I'm going to use smoked turn signal lenses and red LEDs. Ernie- Seattle

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Carl LaFong said:
Sorry, don't have a pic or link, don't know how to do links anyway. The Kuryakyn Led taillight is " plug and play". Remove your taillight lens cover, remove bulb, smear dielectric gell, install gasket, plug LED unit into light bulb socket, position LED unit where taillight lens cover was, install screws. No load equilizer or wireing changes needed. The unit is symetrical, you install it with the license plate illuminating LEDS pointing up or down as needed. Its brighter than the old bulb and is claimed to last 100,000 hours. Couldn't be easier. Next week I'm going to get a Kuryakyn run-stop-turn module, $70. Just plug in under the seat. Makes your rear turn signals function as tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals. Again, "plug and play". This unit is also a load equalizer if you want to put LED bulbs in your turn signals, I do, brighter and longer lasting, about $12 ea. In some states you would have use red lenses or bulbs in your turn signals since they are now tail lights and brake lights. I'm going to use smoked turn signal lenses and red LEDs. Ernie- Seattle
got a part number?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts