V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the story with the Black Denim paint?Does bird dropings stain the paint etc.Also would the suction cups on a Phantom pad adhere to the fender like on reg paint? Awhile back I heard not to get the Black Denim because the paint wears and bugs and bird dropings hurt the paint. Anybody with a Street Bob or anyone feedback would be appreciated thx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
I have Denim Black and have taken off yellow bee pollen and mud which is sometimes harder to get off than bird droppings. Came right off with window cleaner and followed by harley gloss detailing spray with no problems. I like it better than high gloss black paint because it doesn't show swirls and dust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
As far as I can tell on my bike, the black denim = flat black paint. The paint will fade and show imperfections over time like jeans (hence the name). As far as bird poop, don't know about that yet. I have what appears to be a scratch running along the right side of the tank. I don't think that there's anything I can do to fix it though. That's the risk that we denim bobbers take though and I'm sure that we all knew that before we bought ours.

I haven't tried any suction cups on it yet. I'll let someone else guinea pig that one. Bottom line is I'm totally happy with my choice of bike and color. Now I just wish it was a bit warmer out so I can ride damnit!!
 

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
Joined
·
123 Posts
Awhile back I heard not to get the Black Denim because the paint wears and bugs and bird dropings hurt the paint.
As was kind of mentioned before, this is the whole idea behind the black denim paint. It's made to age. The reason we're not supposed to use the same cleaners the glossed guys do is because it will give the denim a weird glossy effect if we do - not because it'll wear on the paint. That's going to happen by design.

On a side note: I've yet to see another Bob in my neck of L.A. And that covers Culver City to the Sunset Strip. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
My 2 closest dealer have lectured me on why I should not or have bought the denim black (they lost the sale and future service). For this reason I was hoping I would be the only one around but yesterday I saw the another Denim Black "Bob". I was disapointed at first but thought wow it sure looked good. Just got my 1000 mile service and got a clean bill of health, the Service Manager who actually did the work even commented with a smile "It really runs and rides great".

Craig
06 "Bob"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
MAX EVO said:
What is the story with the Black Denim paint?Does bird dropings stain the paint etc.Also would the suction cups on a Phantom pad adhere to the fender like on reg paint? Awhile back I heard not to get the Black Denim because the paint wears and bugs and bird dropings hurt the paint. Anybody with a Street Bob or anyone feedback would be appreciated thx
Rent the video "Streets of Fire" (1984) with Diane Lane. Lots of "Black Denim" paint on those motorcycles. Looks like the less care you give the paint, the more "statement" it makes. I like the look, just ride and enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
black denim - same as 883R paint, no?

well, correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the black denim paint is the same as the flat black paint found on the '04-'05 XL883R battery and electrical side covers.

i guess all the HO-HA about that paint is just bullshit.

besides, i can't imagine myself some dealer trying to pursuade a potential buyer not to buy, say, the new denim black street-rod, right? :laugh:
 

·
Train Rider
Joined
·
145 Posts
What will happenn is that sections of the paint will get polished by use. For example the edges of the tank closest to your legs will start to get really shiny very quickly. Also, where you strap luggage to the bike this will happen. It did on my matt silver H*nda Shadow anyway...
 

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
Joined
·
455 Posts
Motosurf said:
I have Denim Black and have taken off yellow bee pollen and mud which is sometimes harder to get off than bird droppings. Came right off with window cleaner and followed by harley gloss detailing spray with no problems. I like it better than high gloss black paint because it doesn't show swirls and dust.

I really hope you were using amonia free window cleaner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
Yes, use ammonia based window cleaner like Windex. I have cleaned my bike several times with it and it works very well. You can also wash the bike with regular dishwashing soap (ie. Dawn). I have not done this yet. Dawn is one of the best cleaners to use to wash vehicles IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Just go on down to Wally's world, buy some Flat-black textured engine paint to spray over any imperfections or bird poop, it will blend right on in...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
75 Posts
Matty said:
What will happenn is that sections of the paint will get polished by use. For example the edges of the tank closest to your legs will start to get really shiny very quickly. Also, where you strap luggage to the bike this will happen. It did on my matt silver H*nda Shadow anyway...
Last October I went to the local dealer and asked to see a street bob. There was one on the floor in Cobalt Blue. I told him I really had my heart set on the Black Denim and would he order one for me. He said he would if I left a deposit. I put down a $500 deposit and began the wait for a Black Denim.

About ten days later, the salesman calls me and says the dealership will not order any BD's at all. He said the dealership couldn't warranty the paint and they wouldn't be getting any of that color. He told me a new Street Bob had just been delivered in Black Cherry and to come take a look at it. Oh, I don't know. That color doesn't look too good to me on the HD website but I'll look at it anyway. When I saw the Black Cherry, I sat on it a while and then said, "I'll take it!"

Here I am, three months and 4k miles later and I still think I made a good choice. I really like the bike.

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
154 Posts
zartoff said:
Here I am, three months and 4k miles later and I still think I made a good choice. I really like the bike.
I've got the same color FXDBI, and I'm also glad I chose it. Sometimes it looks black, sometimes blood red, and sometimes purple.

As I understand the concept of the black denim, it is said to fade like a pair of jeans. Not exactly what I would want in a paint job.

I'd be curious to hear how others feel about their choice in about 2 years.
 

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
Joined
·
123 Posts
I guess I'm an odd one here. One of the primary reasons I bought the Black Denim Bob was because of it's propensity to fade, discolor, scratch up and whatever other deformities you can throw at it. I'm not in to the glossy, pristine look. I don't want to maintain a showroom bike. If it gets too ugly I'll spray black primer on it.

I was so stoked to see my jacket zipper is starting to eff up the tank paint due to my starting routine every morning. I like that sh*t. The closer it is to an "old bike", the better, IMHO.

I've said this before, the black denim is specifically catering to a niche. I happen to be in that niche.

Well done, Moco!

Whiff
 

·
This space for rent
Joined
·
221 Posts
Whiffleboy said:
I guess I'm an odd one here. One of the primary reasons I bought the Black Denim Bob was because of it's propensity to fade, discolor, scratch up and whatever other deformities you can throw at it. I'm not in to the glossy, pristine look. I don't want to maintain a showroom bike. If it gets too ugly I'll spray black primer on it.

I was so stoked to see my jacket zipper is starting to eff up the tank paint due to my starting routine every morning. I like that sh*t. The closer it is to an "old bike", the better, IMHO.

I've said this before, the black denim is specifically catering to a niche. I happen to be in that niche.

Well done, Moco!

Whiff
Whiff...
I'm with ya... Black Denim and no extraneous doo-dads attached to my ride! %[email protected]


Excerpted from H-D Service Bulletin M-1172:

"Black Denim finish differs from traditional high-gloss finishes on other Harley-Davidson motorcycles. Like denim fabric, Black Denim paint will burnish with age and use, adding character and personality to the finish of the motorcycle. The integrity of the paint, however is not affected by age.
If scratched, nicked or scuffed, Black Denim paint can not be buffed out. If polished, the finish will become less matte and more glossy over time. This finish can not be repaired.

Cleaning Black Denim paint:

For heavy deposits on finish: Use a grease cutting dishwashing detergent and a clean H-D wash mitt (P/N 94760-99). Dilute dishwashing detergent per instructions provided by manufacturer and rinse thoroughly with clean water.
For light deposits on finish: Use ammonia based glass cleaner and H-D Soft-Cloth (HD-94656-98)
For final detailing: Use H-D Gloss with H-D Soft-Cloth"

I have a copy of the TSB (dealer gave it to me prior to delivery), as they had no clue what to expect. As of right now, mine is still the only Black Denim Street Bob in the area.
 

·
Seasoned Rider
Joined
·
547 Posts
PSK260 said:
You can also wash the bike with regular dishwashing soap (ie. Dawn). I have not done this yet. Dawn is one of the best cleaners to use to wash vehicles IMO.
Dawn might work for the matte paint but DO NOT use it on waxed paint. Dawn is a very effective at stripping wax. OK to use when you want to remove all the wax and start with a bare surface but too alkaline for anything else. Buy a decent car wash soap.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,502 Posts
PSK260 said:
Yes, use ammonia based window cleaner like Windex. I have cleaned my bike several times with it and it works very well. You can also wash the bike with regular dishwashing soap (ie. Dawn). I have not done this yet. Dawn is one of the best cleaners to use to wash vehicles IMO.
Just an FYI, Dawn works great, but it also strips wax off. Zaino recommends it as the best detergent to strip old wax before applying the first coat of their product. So for the bike it would work great, for vehicles that are waxed, maybe not so good unless you're going to wax them again.

LOL - you beat me to it BBQ
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top