V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
"girl's bike"

It has been my experience that most of the Sportster bashing comes from people who don't even own a Harley, or any motorcycle for that matter. I can't tell you how many people I've come across who don't even ride but have an opinion about the Sportster. I haven't actually heard all that much bad-mouthing from other Harley riders.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Excellent read SOFB!!

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Rock Steady said:
I see your bike has outstanding power. But you smoked a
V-Rod??? :dunno: Dude. Is that on your VTF honor? {salute(
First time I jumped on a V-Rod I nailed it in 3rd and almost came off the back of it. :wootdnc:
Let's see...

The line up:

http://www.bishopsperformance.com/images/photos/Ubly082005/050GordonStaged.jpg

The video:

http://www.bishopsperformance.com/images/photos/Ubly082005/GordonUbly08051199.wmv

The outcome:

http://www.bishopsperformance.com/images/photos/Ubly082005/GordonTimeTicket.jpg

"No brag, just fact..." John Wayne.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
^rolleyez^ That looks like proof enough to me. Nice run!!

·
Premium Member
550 Posts

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
Mr. H-D. You will never here crap outta me again concerning this. I am totally convienced! +SMSH+ Hell of a run. I like it when someone can put the cards on the freaking table. Good show. :thanks:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,630 Posts

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Thanks all for the kind words. :thanks:

Sledman,

It was at a test and tune day, and they're pretty lax. Interestingly, you don't need leathers until your bike runs 10s - I think. I was surprised they don't require them regardless of times.

Rock,

No sweat and thanks for giving me a set up too good to resist! Frankly, I was surprised I won. It was close from the start but by mid-third, he was no longer in my peripheral vision. I kept thinking he'd come blasting by and it wasn't until I got in fourth that I actually thought I would win. My scooter has a hard top end charge and I was in my sweet spot, all hooked up.

FWIW, I beat a Buell that day too, but that was driver error on his part. We were side-by-side when he wheelied going into third and I left him.

Bill,

Yeah Bill... I was looking like pogey-bait to the kid. Had my white socks on and high top Navy boondockers too. He would barely deign to talk with me when I complemented his bike and asked what he'd done to it... he had some mods. I do love it!

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
why didn't the V-rod guy launch his bike? how long had he been riding/how long had he had that bike?

he looked pretty bad.
he never even shifted hard, ???

a 5k drop on a V-rod is impressive if you lay on the tank & hold it down

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,630 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
Thanks all for the kind words. :thanks:

Sledman,

It was at a test and tune day, and they're pretty lax. Interestingly, you don't need leathers until your bike runs 10s - I think. I was surprised they don't require them regardless of times.

Rock,

No sweat and thanks for giving me a set up too good to resist! Frankly, I was surprised I won. It was close from the start but by mid-third, he was no longer in my peripheral vision. I kept thinking he'd come blasting by and it wasn't until I got in fourth that I actually thought I would win. My scooter has a hard top end charge and I was in my sweet spot, all hooked up.

FWIW, I beat a Buell that day too, but that was driver error on his part. We were side-by-side when he wheelied going into third and I left him.

Bill,

Yeah Bill... I was looking like pogey-bait to the kid. Had my white socks on and high top Navy boondockers too. He would barely deign to talk with me when I complemented his bike and asked what he'd done to it... he had some mods. I do love it!
Old guy rules three times in one day.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Gordon I broke one of my rules today. I rode in the snow on the way home from the office. Light snow. But it did snow.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
OOHHH Big fella -- you're braver than I am!! Last Fall I rode somewhere and came home late. It was so freakin cold, I was shivvering so hard I thought I was going to fall off. You da man! {salute(

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Okay, I have watched this video atleast 20 times. The guy on the V-Rod has to feel like a complete a$$. You get a V-Rod for two reasons:
1. It's an H-D
2. It's fast.
If you can't brag on how fast it is. Then WTF??? LoL.
This is great. I'll have to tell my boys about this video. This is freaking great. I got a friend with a V-Rod. This'll put a sock in him. And did you say that the other guy had done mods??? Man....you got me thinking about putting a turbo on the Ultra. Even Springer jacks a wheelie or two! :clap:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,630 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
OOHHH Big fella -- you're braver than I am!! Last Fall I rode somewhere and came home late. It was so freakin cold, I was shivvering so hard I thought I was going to fall off. You da man! {salute(
Remember no applause please just send money. I ride a Harley and need it.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
the riding cold is not the hard part.

it's when you get to your exit..and discover you can't operate the controls....that's scary, i finally bought me some decent gloves after that one...

let's see them howl & scream on the V-rod forum,
surely this will be a re-post over there.

http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34876

:flames: :banana: %[email protected]

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Rock Steady said:
Okay, I have watched this video atleast 20 times. The guy on the V-Rod has to feel like a complete a$$. You get a V-Rod for two reasons:
1. It's an H-D
2. It's fast.
If you can't brag on how fast it is. Then WTF??? LoL.
This is great. I'll have to tell my boys about this video. This is freaking great. I got a friend with a V-Rod. This'll put a sock in him. And did you say that the other guy had done mods??? Man....you got me thinking about putting a turbo on the Ultra. Even Springer jacks a wheelie or two! :clap:
Rock,

The fellow had mods, but he wouldn't say what they were. He seemed embarrassed to be racing an old guy on a plain janer and didn't really speak to me. After the race, he avoided me and I didn't see him again. I would like to have known what he was running too.

He was to my left, so didn't note the Pro Pipe, and I had the engine off until we got up to where we were next in line to go. Other than the PP and a little chrome, my bike looks stock. He had no way of telling there was anything special, though I'd gladly have told him and compared notes.

That was my first time to a strip and that happened to be my best and last run for the day.

As for your bagger -- let me tell you, there are some fast ones running around, and one of the mods here - wyodude, recently dropped a 120 JIMS into his.

In my area, there seem to be a fair number of older looking bikers with well-worn baggers and more than a few are running some big motors. I'm talking wheelies-and-rubber-on-gear-shift fast. A turbo will do it, and there's a fellow who goes by Turbotc who built one, as well as another one with an S&S 124.

Anyway - if ya got the itch, it's fun scratching it! Take care and thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hello to all fellow sportster riders. im 40 years old and i have rode all my life, always owned a bike(cheap used *** bikes) a compromise cause my sons upbringing was more important. when my son turned 19 and moved out and in with his woman (he didnt want to go to college (i have no other children). i bought what i always wanted. a new harley. im very small in stature for a man. im 5ft4 and weigh 118 pounds. i wanted a glide, but after sitting on a few, i quickly learned that i was not built for the bigger bikes. i just couldnt reach the ground comfortably. i bought a brand new 05 sportster 1200 custom. i put a simple stage1 on it and now have samson biggunsIII exaust. i love my bike! slender and low for my short legs and very nimble. i cant stand it when i hear the term "bitch bike"! my riding buds understood why i went with the sporty cause of my build, but they did get on an occasional "bitch bike" kick before i bought mine. now they think twice. here is where it gets good....my favorite part......... a friend of mine rides an 04 train. 93 cubic inch. cammed, bigger heads the works. he had it dyno'd after it was all done. my fellow sportster riders,check this out. i ate him for lunch in a 1/4 mile.not once, not twice but everytime. he was pissed. we went balls out and he finally took me after 120 mph, but just crawled by. keep in mind i was pretty much stock, just a simple little stage1 and he spent $3000.00 in engine work. as i stated he was pissed! he going to sink $2000.00 more in his tranny to get it geared lower so he can keep up with me in short jonts. "bitch bike"? i dont think so! and for the glides with the 83 and 88 ci engines? they didnt stand a chance. i was lovin it. my buddy with a 03 glide, after we stopped for beer, asked me to sell my bike to him. he said " thats just wrong". i didnt think sportys could run like that. the term "bitch bike" is now never said in my presence when we ride. they all gained a little respect for my "bitch bike". im proud to ride my sporty and will never give it up. they can have their big twins. oh yea, my bike is paid for. they are still paying the big bill for the theirs. mmmm, let me see....... nuff said. im going to have a beer
6string you made my day & I have (0) doubts a helluva lotta others too!

To say the Sporster is a woman's motorcycle is the HD equivalent to saying the CBR750 is also a woman's motorcycle because its not as big as a Goldwing. The 577lb Sportster is quicker, handles better, stops faster than the over-hyped 680lb softtail and certainly better than the land barge 950lb CVO behemoth (!) but because its smaller than HD's big motorcycles like the CBR is 'somewhat' smaller than the GW its deemed a girl's bike. I promise you 99%+ of women use less than 50% of the Sportster's potential. Its simply the only HD a smaller, weaker woman can handle w/ no offense to women intended whatsoever I assure you. Here's the average softtail owner thinking bigger is better when he tried to ride it like a Sporster >

It always amuses me when idiot 'big twin' owners realize they can't buy muscular size & strength. If you want quickness & handling buy a Sportster, if you want huge displacement and the corresponding sluggishness then buy a softtail. I can promise you the salesman will w/in 5mins tell you 'women buy the $9k Sporster and men buy the $17k softtail'. I wonder (ha ha) why that is??? Once you learn to handle it for what is was designed for you'll learn what every regretful former Sporster owner has...the Sportster is w/out a doubt THE best, most fun, coolest, most rebellious motorcycle you can buy! Remember you can't buy OR eat your way to size & strength...but the Sporster will never let you down provided you treat it w/ respect and ride it like it was designed to be ridden.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hey mini-bike rider, if you ride a Harley learn what the models are. Even your little video says V-rod, which isn't a softail, and the one in the video looks to be a Frankenstein creation. And a real V-rod would eat your little sportster. And if you ride more then 50 miles I'd take the softail any day.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
You guys are pretty upset over a 14 yr old thread.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 48 Posts