V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all fellow sportster riders. im 40 years old and i have rode all my life, always owned a bike(cheap used *** bikes) a compromise cause my sons upbringing was more important. when my son turned 19 and moved out and in with his woman (he didnt want to go to college (i have no other children). i bought what i always wanted. a new harley. im very small in stature for a man. im 5ft4 and weigh 118 pounds. i wanted a glide, but after sitting on a few, i quickly learned that i was not built for the bigger bikes. i just couldnt reach the ground comfortably. i bought a brand new 05 sportster 1200 custom. i put a simple stage1 on it and now have samson biggunsIII exaust. i love my bike! slender and low for my short legs and very nimble. i cant stand it when i hear the term "bitch bike"! my riding buds understood why i went with the sporty cause of my build, but they did get on an occasional "bitch bike" kick before i bought mine. now they think twice. here is where it gets good....my favorite part......... a friend of mine rides an 04 train. 93 cubic inch. cammed, bigger heads the works. he had it dyno'd after it was all done. my fellow sportster riders,check this out. i ate him for lunch in a 1/4 mile.not once, not twice but everytime. he was pissed. we went balls out and he finally took me after 120 mph, but just crawled by. keep in mind i was pretty much stock, just a simple little stage1 and he spent $3000.00 in engine work. as i stated he was pissed! he going to sink $2000.00 more in his tranny to get it geared lower so he can keep up with me in short jonts. "bitch bike"? i dont think so! and for the glides with the 83 and 88 ci engines? they didnt stand a chance. i was lovin it. my buddy with a 03 glide, after we stopped for beer, asked me to sell my bike to him. he said " thats just wrong". i didnt think sportys could run like that. the term "bitch bike" is now never said in my presence when we ride. they all gained a little respect for my "bitch bike". im proud to ride my sporty and will never give it up. they can have their big twins. oh yea, my bike is paid for. they are still paying the big bill for the theirs. mmmm, let me see....... nuff said. im going to have a beer

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
good post.

had a buddy with a Honda 750 ACE, i was quietly ribbing him,
and he was eyeballing my Softail Standard.

we traded bikes for a few hour ride one day.
we both went away impressed, with both bikes, and a new apprecation of both ends of the spectrum. i could have a saved a lot of money.

but, have a friend who's dad had a '48 Harley in Cuba, and he can't wait to see my new RK, and not many folks get excited about Hondas. is that worth a "house payment"? i dunno

FWIW, if you are ~118, and your buddy is over 2 bills, that's probably more of your advantage than you realize.

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
I had a Sportster 883 and got the whole "bitch bike" ribbing, but with some low-cost mods, it ran pretty sweet! I switched to Metzlers and then put in an N4 cam, Thunderheader exhaust, SE intake, and drilled out and re-jetted the carb. It liked high rpm's and regularly hit 120.

In contrast, my Softail, with minor mods only hit 105, and would have only beat the Sportster for a short distance off the line. (My solution for this is currently in the UPS system, headed for Hawaii).

The Sporty was a great bike, and I had a lot of fun on it. Cheers!

·
Banned
873 Posts
Girls bike, bitch bike, whatever. Someone's always got a remark. Eh, who cares. Just jump on the bike and let it hang out! Yeah!

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
Anyone who utters the phrase ought to dig up some old footage of outlaws from the 1960's, that is, if the film hasn't crumbled. Lots of Sportsters.

We were swapping lies during a dull moment at work today, and I mentioned that a stock, black 883 with the traditional tank was my goal for this summer.

I love my Dyna, but sometimes you want the acceleration and the quick maneuverablity of the Sporty. Additionally, two gallons of gas is a great way to cleanse those duldrums and remember why we love this sport.

I've owned three Sporsters. I rode my 1973 during my years in a motorcycle club. Funny, I don't remember any sidewalk-commandos teasing me about riding a girl's bike. But then again, it was hard to hear as I passed them at the bus stop.

In truth, I don't even think I'll get insults now.

"Hey, guys, look at that bunch of bikers from the club. Merciful heavens, the gray-haired weight lifter is on a girl's bike. Oh, oh, it looks like they're turning around! Guys, guys, where did you go...?"

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
sixstring said:
hello to all fellow sportster riders. im 40 years old and i have rode all my life, always owned a bike(cheap used *** bikes) a compromise cause my sons upbringing was more important. when my son turned 19 and moved out and in with his woman (he didnt want to go to college (i have no other children). i bought what i always wanted. a new harley. im very small in stature for a man. im 5ft4 and weigh 118 pounds. i wanted a glide, but after sitting on a few, i quickly learned that i was not built for the bigger bikes. i just couldnt reach the ground comfortably. i bought a brand new 05 sportster 1200 custom. i put a simple stage1 on it and now have samson biggunsIII exaust. i love my bike! slender and low for my short legs and very nimble. i cant stand it when i hear the term "bitch bike"! my riding buds understood why i went with the sporty cause of my build, but they did get on an occasional "bitch bike" kick before i bought mine. now they think twice. here is where it gets good....my favorite part......... a friend of mine rides an 04 train. 93 cubic inch. cammed, bigger heads the works. he had it dyno'd after it was all done. my fellow sportster riders,check this out. i ate him for lunch in a 1/4 mile.not once, not twice but everytime. he was pissed. we went balls out and he finally took me after 120 mph, but just crawled by. keep in mind i was pretty much stock, just a simple little stage1 and he spent $3000.00 in engine work. as i stated he was pissed! he going to sink $2000.00 more in his tranny to get it geared lower so he can keep up with me in short jonts. "bitch bike"? i dont think so! and for the glides with the 83 and 88 ci engines? they didnt stand a chance. i was lovin it. my buddy with a 03 glide, after we stopped for beer, asked me to sell my bike to him. he said " thats just wrong". i didnt think sportys could run like that. the term "bitch bike" is now never said in my presence when we ride. they all gained a little respect for my "bitch bike". im proud to ride my sporty and will never give it up. they can have their big twins. oh yea, my bike is paid for. they are still paying the big bill for the theirs. mmmm, let me see....... nuff said. im going to have a beer
Congrats on the win. But any idiot that races you on a Big-Twin should plan to lose. The Sporty is Harley's racing bike with the exception of the new V-Rod. (That thing is ridicolously fast!) Sporties are so light. I had one too, once.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
sixstring said:
I have heard the Sportster called Bitch Bike, Entry Level etc. by no means do the fit any of those terms. They are actually harder to handel than most of your larger big twin bikes. I owned an 05 1200 Custom and it was very quick. I also thought the Sportster was a little on the top heavy side. Just ride your Sportster and pay no attention to what uneducated people say.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
just wait until you are able to blast by him with a third gear wheelie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Good for you! ...and I sure as hell wish I weighed 118!!

XLCH was THE bike when I was starting out and they remained that in many people's minds into the early 80s or so in general. They were the main ride of one percenters by a huge majority and the big bikes tended to ride at the back of the pack - because they were slow.

*** bikes got huge with people in general and HD slipped to the back of the bus wrt performance. Then HD got popular, yuppies and people who couldn't afford one when they were younger - began buying HDs in droves -- and you know the rest. It wasn't until the yups/newbies got into it that I heard any disparaging comments re Sportsters. Many seemed to think that since they were smaller and cost less, they were inferior.

FWIW, I've gotten some of that attitude directed at my plain-jane-looking Super Glide. It's really amusing.

·
Registered
454 Posts
quicker?

I hear a lot about the Sportster 1200 being quicker than the 88" bikes. I do really like the Sportster and in fact an 883 was my first bike - lots of fun. On the day I purchased my 05 Dyna, my buddy bought an 05 1200 Custom. I think his bike is better looking than mine, but I liked the feel of the Dyna better, so that's what I got.

We both have "stage 1" mods - slip-ons, SE intake, remap for me and rejet for him. Honestly, neither one of us can really pull away much from the other in a roll on race if we're both in the same gear. Off the line, he can get about a length or so on me but then I stay right with him up until 90ish, which is as fast as I want to go anyway. Granted, my bike is probably the lightest of the big twins, but I just don't see that much straight line performance difference. On a twisty road, he does have more cornering clearance than my bike does, now that I put forward controls on my Dyna. Up until recently, I also owned a BMW R1150R, and that bike would absolutely smoke either my Dyna or his Sportster in any type of speed contest.

The reality is that neither of the Harleys (or even the BMW I had) are particularly fast bikes as far as motorcycles go, but they have enough engine to be fun to ride. I say pick the one you like the look & feel of and rest assured that you've got a great bike. If what you're after is an ultimate performance bike, you'll need to look elsewhere or plan on spending big bucks to get you HD to that level.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
if he's not pulling away from you on his 1200 he's not riding it right. I've rode my wifes stock 1200C and that thing is faster than my 03 Heritage with a stage 1. she can ride aggressive, I tell he some times at the light let get on it and she leaves me. she popped a small wheelie once next to me and didn't even know it. A bitches bike, I don't think so, I miss mine the are light and well sporty. the new engine upgrades in the newer sporties are faster than previous years. I have had 3 and miss them all. If I win the lotterey that would be one of the first things I did was buy a new sportster, have the rear fender bobbed and throw somes parts at the motor.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
DelcoDyna said:
A Stage 1 1200 Sporty is quicker and nimbler than any big twin. That is fact.

When you gonna take on a VRod?
No it's not. I've smoked a few 1200s and a V-rod too - and numerous other members have stronger bikes than me.:brows:

·
Registered
454 Posts
brownjams said:
if he's not pulling away from you on his 1200 he's not riding it right. I've rode my wifes stock 1200C and that thing is faster than my 03 Heritage with a stage 1.
Well...neither of us are experienced racers, so the chances are that neither of us are riding 'em right to get the maximum potential. I'm talking about two guys of about the same size twisting the throttle open in a given gear or from a stop light. The difference between his Sportster and my Dyna just isn't that significant in those circumstances. Keep in mind that a Dyna is about 70 pounds lighter than a heritage and has a little bit faster revving engine due to being non-counterbalanced (the tradeoff, of course is that the Heritage makes the Dyna look like a mud fence!). Remember also that the new Sportsters have gained about 50 pounds over the previous generation, which probably eats up a bit of the gains created by the new engine internals.

I've ridden my friend's bike and it definitely "feels" faster off the line, but it feels less torquey once underway, at least to me.

None of this is to say that a Sportster is a "bitch bike". I really do like them and think they currently represent the purest expression of what a street motorcycle should be. Cool bikes.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Well, being a owner of both a big twin and a sporty, I have to say that my little sporty is fast as hell. It's not the average 1200, its a 1200S - the one with the dual plug heads, single fire ignition, hotter cams, adjustable suspension, yada yada yada stock from the factory. Yes, it has been buttered up a little, with a SE/ air cleaner kit, Cycle Shack slipons, and a few other goodies. Most people that want to "hit it", well, they are usually in my rear vier mirrors. They might call it a bitch bike, but it's because its a bitch to hang with me. Now, it's not the fastest thing out there, but it ain't bad either. There are some guys and gals with some freaking hot big twins that I can't hang with. Speed cost money, how fast do ya want to go.

sixstring - great post! Have a beer on me dude! :beer:

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
this is an oldie from donny petersen (american iron and 81 member toronto) back when i had a sporty i read this..:coffee:

Girl's Bike ??

Something I'll never understand is why some Harley riders discriminate against other riders especially in light of the way society has stereotyped the Harley community and discriminated against it over the years. You've heard the disparaging comments like "Half a Harley" or "Girl's Bike" along with many others levied against the Sportster bysome in the Big Twin crowd. If so. How come it's faster than the BigTwin is? How come it's been the Factory racer in differing events for forty years now? What about the Buell, Harley's answer to Japanese super bikes, being based on the Sportster It has always had superior technology and Been more nimble than its brother, the Big Twin. Back in the Sixties, The Sporty led the charge when an Englishike-dominated sport converted first to the "Milwaukee Limey." Speaking of the old days, when watching early biker movies, you see the "real deal" riding their beloved "CH's" that today have become living legends? Nobody I know laughs at or puts down these guys. Yes, the "CH" is short for the brutal, knee-busting, kick start Sportster. Don't look like no half-Harley to me even though that's what some call it. Please take this last statement from where it's coming from…not me. But it's a comment I hear time and again from those in Harleydom who wish to pick on their own instead of fighting those who attack from the outside. Yeah, so they call it a Girl's bike in a derisive manner. This connotes frailty that inhibits them from handling "a man's bike." Well if you think about it, a smaller, physically weaker person would be better suited to a Softail with a lower seat height, a lower center of gravity and a set of front forks that pivot more easily on a smaller contact patch, skinny 21" wheel. That's if you think. Sportsters feel as if they have a higher center of gravity, making them seemingly more awkward to the uninitiated and you need long legs to touch the ground They'll pop a wheelie without even thinking about it. And light to light, try to beat one, with a "bigger" Harley, like a Softail for instance. A customer of mine is a seemingly mild mannered pharmacist. He wins about $500 bucks a month racing Big Twins on his 883 converted to a 1200. He hasn't even reached for the big gun yet….the 1200S with a hundred ponies at the rear wheel. I guess everybody's mad at me by now, but it needs to be said. So why on earth does Harley make this bike, its entry-level model? It's harder to learn on and it's the prototype for its factory racers-in order to prove it has a superior product in terms of speed. I don't understand it. As what should be isn't, and what isn't should be. I know, I know. The real reason the Sportster is the entry-level bike is that it's cheaper than the Big Twin models. Just wait until feminism gets a firmer grip in the last bastion of chauvinism, Harleydom and deals with "the Girl's Bike syndrome" and its connotations of weakness. It'll be fun to watch for those who love a good winnable fight. Now how about the men who ride and must put up with this reverse discrimination? Maybe feminism will wipe the slate clean. Or maybe, those who are free thinkers and strong of mind already know that the Girl's Bike has dominated Flat Track racing…you know, where you go full speed around corners with no brakes….and hill climbing…a brutal sport for the brave where Sportsters go up hills not suited for motorcycles. Now, how about the wheelie kings. You know, in a man's world, anyone who can do the block long wheelie, shifting gears as they pose dangerously on one wheel, scraping the rear fender on the asphalt, shooting up sparks as they roar by, are more Often than not on the Sportster. Motor builders have long recognized the superior technology used by Harley in the Sportster, some examples of which are:
a. Pushrods that go straight up and down instead of wild angles like in the Big Twin; or
b. Did you ever wonder where the three-hole crankpin you buy aftermarket to replace the single oiling hole factory one in your Big Twin came from? You got it, standard factory issue since the beginning in the Sportster; or
c. The trochoid (rotor) oil pump, standard issue since 1977 on the Sportster, produces both high pressure and high volume while the lowly Big Twin still has a gear-driven pump that only produces moderate pressure and volume. Straighter pushrods along with the 3 hole oiling crankpin and the trochoid oil pump have all been adapted into the new Fathead Twin Cam 88's. Here's another one. What other Harley, or motorcycle for that matter, has crippled more people than the legendary Sportster kickstart? If rebounding compression isn't dislocating the knee or throwing the rider over the handlebars then the slip-through kick start gears extend the leg past where its supposed to go….snapping the kneecap. "Sportster knee", the tell tale limp, familiar with riders of the era is a badge of honor. The electric start has saved a whole generation from this mind numbing pain. Even the mass media glorified the Sportster a long time before it recognized the "old man's" bike, the Big Twin.Oops, I have to watch the reverse discrimination. Then Came Bronson" was the first and only TV Harley hero who traversed America, meeting every challenge society could throw at him
on his Sportster XLCH. In the late seventies and early eighties, some bank robber gangs even used the Sportster as a get away vehicle…faster than the Big
Twin police bikes and more nimble through traffic. Last but not least…..Evil Knieval. I never saw him riding a Big Twin. He is a Sportster man….all the way to the hospital and right back on them again The much maligned Sportster doesn't look like a bike for the frail or weak of mind to me.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
No it's not. I've smoked a few 1200s and a V-rod too - and numerous other members have stronger bikes than me.:brows:
I see your bike has outstanding power. But you smoked a
V-Rod??? :dunno: Dude. Is that on your VTF honor? {salute(
First time I jumped on a V-Rod I nailed it in 3rd and almost came off the back of it. :wootdnc:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts