V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Bit the bullet and ordered a set of HD, 4" LED passing lights, for my 06 Ultra Classic. Even though there kinda pricey. I am hoping the light output is worth the expense, and the reduced draw on the electrical system will allow me to rewire the lights to always on.

Part of my wanting to try these lights is the whiter light output, making me more visible. While reducing the load on the system so I can get a higher output head light, w/o over loading the light wiring or electrical system.

But maybe my thinking is flawed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Frick! still waiting on my LEDs to be delivered have the day off checked the tracking and they wont be here till tomorrow.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sylvester,,where are you at in Central Florida? I'd kinda like to see how much the led's help? Been on the fence for awhile now. What brand did you buy? I ran an HID headlight for awhile and ended up taking it out due to radio reception interference from the ballast and have been playing with the idea of led headlight and passing lamps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slick, I am in the Leesburg area. Well my lights were delivered today I ordered the HD brand LEDs. I was looking forward to night fall so I could check em out after installing them on my bike. I turned the ignition on and WTF?? only one of them was working.

After a little cussing and double checking my connections which are idiot proof as they only plug in one way. It appears one of the LEDs is dead on arrival. So I called the dealer that sent them and explained what was happening.

Only thing he would do is replace the set once he gets em back. That kinda aggravated me, that he wouldn't send a call tag to pick up the defective part I had to cover the return shipping on a bad part. Hopefully the next set will work like there supposed too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Got my LEDs in both worked this time, only on one side of the bike but not on the other. Upon closer inspection it appeared the ground and power connection going into the waterproof connecter on the harness are on the wrong side for the LED female connector.

Not that Harley would ever make a mistake.

With the factory incandescent I don't think the bulb cares about which side is pos and which is neg, LEDs do.

So while looking at it, due to the built in part of the connector to prevent you from reversing the polarity. I looked like my choices were, 1 cut the wire and reattach the plug, 2 try to order a new plug, or 3 cut a slot in the existing plug so I can reverse the polarity.

I tried to cut the factory plug with an exact o knife... fail....dont wanna use a dremel and screw it up... hack saw blade nice slow cut and then I was able to trim the cut and dress it with the exact o blade.

Plugged it up and waalaah Both are working, since my bike is on the lift due to me having to replace my orings in the push rod covers I wasn't able to ride it. But in the dark garage low beam with the LED passing lights was very white didn't really see the 90 w low beam. Keep in mind I was standing next to the bike vs sitting on it.

When I fliped to high beam the headlight looks real yellow compared to the LEDs. Hopefully I will be able to ride it tomorrow night.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
I have the led headlight and passing lights very bright white light. If you don't go with the led headlight anything else will look sick next to those passing lamps!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to go for a short ride tonight. My focus was on trying to locate and fix a push rod cover oil leak. But the LEDs where very nice and bright, they really light up the front and side of the road. In curves I could see a distinct line at the top of the LED where the light just stops but the coverage to the side was plenty for me to see with while cornering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my dealer install a set of LED headlights and passing lights on my 2003 Ultra and they was worth every penny. No doubt a much better option over stock halogen!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts