V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
drinker of fine ales
273 Posts
pnut said:
Does anyone know the paint code for the Birch white on police bikes.
All you need is the name , not the code. If your looking for the mixing formula, thats completely different. Go to your local PPG jobber and tell them what you want. It's all in their computerized mixing system.
I'm sure PPG and others actually have a code but it's really not necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your local PPG paint supplier can probably color match that for you. They don't have a lot of HD colors, but I believe that it one they have.
I went to a PPG supplier yesterday and had them mix up the paint code for the HD Birch White paint in their Envirobase HP paints (code S27435). What I got was like night and day! It was a pinky beige. When I complained the vendor just shrugged and said "that's what the paint code is". I highlighted the fact that the paint had too much red in it, making it a pinky beige...to no avail. After spending $227 on a quart of paint I was told that the mismatch was not their problem. I got them to give me the recipe.

I then went to another supplier and asked for the paint code and components for Birch White in Dupont Cromax. What was interesting is that the dye percentages were different. PPG Envirobase formula had 7.1% Yellow, 2.0% Black and 1.0% Red. Dupont Cromax had 2.3% Yellow, 0.4% black and 0.1% red. A big difference between the two. If you compare the compositions you can see that the Cromax would come out less red and more off-white than the PPG mixture.

Just a word of waring before you go spending your hard-earned dollars on a PPG paint match for Birch White.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,870 Posts
Looks like you're comparing apples to oranges, not to mention answering a post that has been dead for 15 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts