V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any feedback on using a biometric gun safe? I like the concept but not sure what issues folks have had with them. Would use it for a Glock, not a long shooter. In addition to the gun, I'd want it to hold additional clips/ammo.

Any solid brands? I'm not looking to necessarily go cheap on one but don't want to over spend either.

Thanks--

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
A friend of mine had issues with the Gunvault Biometric, he told me he could get it to open with a whack of the hand.

I bolted a Gardall pistol safe to the floor of my closet, I can do the electronic lock code from a dead sleep in a few seconds... It's about a 2' cube and very secure.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
I've been happy for over 20 years with my idiot proof 5 button mechanical Cannon bedside pistol safe (more of a locking sheet metal box w/ padding inside, really). Don't know if they still make it, but I'm sure somebody makes something similar. Don't want technology going sideways slowing me down.

HiAngle, when did they start making a top-loading Glock?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
As we say in the Army, "Not tracking." I don't understand the question.
When you said you wanted room to keep clips with your Glock, I figured maybe they'd started machining a guide into the breech face so you could top off the magazine using a clip. :)

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gotcha. Probably some lax Army language on my part crossing over. I'll do flutter kicks. :beer:

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you are just talking about safe storage, 'd say OK, although you're probably just as well off with a key or combo for less $.

If you need it for bedside, gotta get that gun out fast applications, I'd probably say no. While biometrics technology has come a long ways in consumer products, I wouldn't want my life to depend on it. I wouldn't want my life to depend on anything that requires electricity and an active computer if a simpler mechanical solution is available.

But with biometrics, it has a lot to do with the quality of the sensor and the algorithms. Trust me, your consumer product does not have the best stuff, I don't care what the manufacturer says.

Odds are, it will work fine for you. But there's also a slim chance it won't. When you need it.

·
Banned
6,663 Posts
If you are just talking about safe storage, 'd say OK, although you're probably just as well off with a key or combo for less $.

If you need it for bedside, gotta get that gun out fast applications, I'd probably say no. While biometrics technology has come a long ways in consumer products, I wouldn't want my life to depend on it. I wouldn't want my life to depend on anything that requires electricity and an active computer if a simpler mechanical solution is available.

But with biometrics, it has a lot to do with the quality of the sensor and the algorithms. Trust me, your consumer product does not have the best stuff, I don't care what the manufacturer says.

Odds are, it will work fine for you. But there's also a slim chance it won't. When you need it.
@gree:Some friends have 'em, but they're not quick. My Pop always kept a loaded gun at his bedside. Fortunately we us kids never messed with his gun for fear he would use it on us.

I don't have kids, a locked and loaded .45 seems to be the right fit.

·
Banned
589 Posts
$00.02 here on "access from a dead sleep." I keep a 44 mag. revolver in the side stand drawer -- no kids in my house. But what I DO do for security is keep the rounds in a Speed Loader. I figure I need to be sufficiently awake to get the Speed Loader loaded into the cylinder.

The point being, I've had dreams where I had the gun in hand, been known to walk in my sleep a bit. I want to be FULLY AWAKE if I'm handling a gun.

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$00.02 here on "access from a dead sleep." I keep a 44 mag. revolver in the side stand drawer -- no kids in my house. But what I DO do for security is keep the rounds in a Speed Loader. I figure I need to be sufficiently awake to get the Speed Loader loaded into the cylinder.

The point being, I've had dreams where I had the gun in hand, been known to walk in my sleep a bit. I want to be FULLY AWAKE if I'm handling a gun.
Even without having kids, I'm reluctant to keep a weapon in a drawer. The major reason being a burglary and I've experienced that twice now.

The first time was in 1996. I was single but had two roommates. One of my roommates kept a 9mm in his nightstand. I was out of the house for about 45 minutes and came back to a ransacked house. One of the items taken was my roommates 9mm, which was always kept loaded. Thankfully, I did not walk in on them because I would have been screwed.

The second time was a few weeks ago. Not a fun thing to deal with when you're deployed-- talk about feeling helpless. Thankfully, they have made an arrest but not sure what items of ours have been recovered. That said, they went through my nightstand and that's exactly where I would have kept it.

From life experiences, if someone is trying to get in my house while I am sleeping, I have no doubt I'm going from dead asleep to fully awake in about .03 seconds.

............break...........

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm inclined to purchase the biometric safe as they do have a fall back--- a key. I just need to figure out where I would keep the key. From reading some reviews, several brands allow you to have multiple readings of your index finger stored-- the idea being you can lay your finger at different angles during the "recording" process.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I own two biometric gun vaults.
One is bolted to my nightstand holding my Ruger .45 ACP and the other is the mini-vault which is portable with a cable for wrapping around things like seat brackets in your vehicles. Holds my G-36 holstered, w/2 magazines.

I open the vault on the nightstand before turning out the lights (takes two seconds) for the evening and close it when I get up. Simple.

Both work extremely well. I keep my pain meds in the nightstand model, so it gets opened at least 5 times daily. Never fails.

I programmed in several fingers, several times on both vaults and they never fail to open.

Both come with keys to over-ride the biometrics if the batteries run down or other emergencies.

I make a habit out of losing keys, so these biometric work really well for me.

If you have weapons in your home and no way to secure them, if you come home to an intruder, he/she might have one of your weapons pointed at you, when you walk in.

All my weapons are cocked and locked.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm inclined to purchase the biometric safe as they do have a fall back--- a key. I just need to figure out where I would keep the key. From reading some reviews, several brands allow you to have multiple readings of your index finger stored-- the idea being you can lay your finger at different angles during the "recording" process.
You wear dog tags right? You could put one on there and it would always be with you.

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I own two biometric gun vaults.
One is bolted to my nightstand holding my Ruger .45 ACP and the other is the mini-vault which is portable with a cable for wrapping around things like seat brackets in your vehicles. Holds my G-36 holstered, w/2 magazines.

I open the vault on the nightstand before turning out the lights (takes two seconds) for the evening and close it when I get up. Simple.

Both work extremely well. I keep my pain meds in the nightstand model, so it gets opened at least 5 times daily. Never fails.

I programmed in several fingers, several times on both vaults and they never fail to open.

Both come with keys to over-ride the biometrics if the batteries run down or other emergencies.

I make a habit out of losing keys, so these biometric work really well for me.

If you have weapons in your home and no way to secure them, if you come home to an intruder, he/she might have one of your weapons pointed at you, when you walk in.

All my weapons are cocked and locked.
Thanks for the feedback. I have read some pretty strong reviews on two models, GunVault and Barska, so I'm at least narrowing the search down. When I get back to the states, I'll do a personal inspection to see the differences and weigh the pros/cons.

You wear dog tags right? You could put one on there and it would always be with you.
I do... only when I'm wearing ACUs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts