1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just given a heads up that California State Senator Alan
Lowenthal (27th district from Long Beach) is working on legislation
to illegalize Lane Sharing in CA. Lowenthal is an ivory tower Democrat,
has a PhD and has spend much of his career as an University Psychology professor. Just curious if anyone else has heard anything on this?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This identified blog below is making it's way around the internet - I went to Senator Lowenthals website and did not find any mention of an anti lane sharing bill. Anyone have additional info ?

Heads up peeps! State Senator Alan Lowenthal (Dem, 27th District), is supposedly preparing legislation that will make lane sharing illegal in California. We cannot let his happen!!! As of today, I have very limited info from a damn good source. The source is investigating and will be making further reports as he gets more solid info. At this point we do know that this will be an attached item buried in another proposal.

At this point, I would suggest that you all get the word out to your fellow motorcyclists and start thinking about who you will petition should he turn this into a proposition for passage in the legislature.

• Call/write your local state reps.
• Get your CHP and other MC LEO’s involved
• Notify your local clubs, ABATE, AMA, etc.
• Post on other forums that you may belong to
• Write letters to the editors of local mags and newspapers

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Anything is possible in this state I suppose, but I don't think it will happen the CHP is firmly against changing the status quo regarding lane sharing/splitting. It would take away a valuable tool they use for traffic enforcement.

Joe

·
Registered
279 Posts
jasilva said:
Anything is possible in this state I suppose, but I don't think it will happen the CHP is firmly against changing the status quo regarding lane sharing/splitting. It would take away a valuable tool they use for traffic enforcement.

Joe

I would think that CHP as well as other PD's would be able to continue just for that reason.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
jasilva said:
With the number of bikes on the road in CA (we can ride year round here), and the amount of traffic there is each day with cagers... it would make traffic a ton worse each day due to, in a sense, adding another car length for each bike in traffic. Each car length adds up...

Plus most accidents due to a bike lane sharing is due to the cager not looking before they suddenly change lanes or open car doors (yeah, they do that sometimes in stop-n-go traffic).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was reading somewhere that the safety nazies tried to change the lane sharing law two years ago but the CHP testified against it. This may be another attempt.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
mboogiemanusa said:
...Lowenthal is an ivory tower Democrat, has a PhD and has spend much of his career as an University Psychology professor. Just curious if anyone else has heard anything on this?
yes, I can verify that Lowenthal is both a Democrat AND a PhD. Doesn't that just beat all. Not only is he on the dark side politically, but how can anyone be so self-centered as to actually educate himself to that level. Talk about a waste of time and money. Next thing you know we'll find out he did it on scholarships and grants. Just makes my blood boil...

·
Registered
958 Posts
I believe lane sharing is designed to move as much traffic as possible,thats why the cops approve it.I've seen it in action and it makes total sense,places the mc in front after a slowdown or a stop,safer for us. I don't think they'll outlaw it. Just another a$$ kisser looking for an issue to put him in the spotlight...course that crap seems to work around here.If they do outlaw it,I'll probably risk the ticket.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
jasilva said:

Joe

CHP would be exempt from any such law in any case. They can use any portion of the road for law enforcement. Trust me on this. :)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Lane Sharing v. Lane Splitting

I think CA is the only state that currently allows lane splitting. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but then, I dont ride in CA, nor do I have to put up with CA traffic, so nevermind that statement.

Are we talking about Sharing, or Splitting here? Sharing, in my mind, would be 2 bikes riding handlebar to handlebar. Splitting would be going between cars (I know there is a legal way, and an illegal way, in CA). Or, are y'all using the terminology interchangeably?

If we're talking making splitting illegal, I have no opinion, as its already illegal everywhere I'm likely to ever ride. If we're talking making sharing, as I've described it above, I'd be hot. I ride EVERYWHERE h2h, and I don't want that illegal, in CA, or filtering down to any state.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Bot said:
I ride EVERYWHERE h2h, and I don't want that illegal, in CA, or filtering down to any state.
It already is in some states.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
Maybe someone from CA would want to call the senators office and find out for sure, then post the results here.

·
Another Great Day to Ride
963 Posts
This guy (senator) was probably stuck in traffic, like the rest of us and got pissed off that motorcycles were actually "getting over" by not having to wait like cagers...

·
963 Posts
Well, here is the scoop...

I just spoke to a staff aid at State Senate District 27 - Alan Lowenthal's office. She indicated that there have been talks about introducing such a bill. The person who is writing the bill is Joshua Tooker, Lowenthal's Legislative Director.

According to the staffer (I didn't catch her name) this is in the works. Perhaps we can stop it before it even starts.

Here is the contact information for the person who is supposedly in charge of writing the bill:

Joshua Tooker - Legislative Director
[email protected]
State Senate District 27 - Alan Lowenthal
State Capitol, Room 3048
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 651-4027
Fax: (916) 327-9113

Let 'em have it, boys!!!

E

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I just wrote the aide in charge of this in protest of any form of legislation to stop lane splitting in cali. I don't live there anymore but I do ride there a few times a year and when you get into the traffic snarls there it is an awesome privilige to have. In cali, most of the cagers are even really nice about it(of course there's always the occasional a55hole).
I encourage EVERYONE to protest any such legislation!
KLSL!!!
Keep Lane Splitting Legal!!!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Bot said:
I think CA is the only state that currently allows lane splitting. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but then, I dont ride in CA, nor do I have to put up with CA traffic, so nevermind that statement.

Are we talking about Sharing, or Splitting here? Sharing, in my mind, would be 2 bikes riding handlebar to handlebar. Splitting would be going between cars (I know there is a legal way, and an illegal way, in CA). Or, are y'all using the terminology interchangeably?
My question exactly. As a fairly new rider I still get squirmy when splitting lanes. But are we talking splitting or sharing??

·
963 Posts
The kicker is when I called, the staffer answering the phone couldn't give me any reasons as to why they were proposing such legislation. I guess they would rather see the number of bikers in the hospitals go up due to being rear ended on the gridlocked freeways. Just today, I saw four rear-end collisions in a twenty mile span. All in traffic speeds of between 5-20 mph. In a car, that's a "bump"... In a bike, that's a totalled rear end, broken ankles and wrists, severe abrasions, and that's only if you don't get smashed into the car in front of you...

Splitting traffic is WAY SAFER than crawling at slow speeds between two SUVs being driven by little asian women chatting on their cell phones while trying to apply mascara...

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
newultraclassic said:
CHP would be exempt from any such law in any case. They can use any portion of the road for law enforcement. Trust me on this. :)
Sorry I won't trust you on this. California law states that even emergency vehicles must obey traffic laws at all times. Yes they violate this BUT they do so at the risk that if involved in an accident they will be found at fault if violating the vehicle code at the time of the accident. Trust me on this I've been there. So to conclude CHP is against removing the lane sharing exemption as it would hinder them in their enforcement duties.

Joe

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.