V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Retro Radio plug into the back of a Sony deck or is it wired to the stock Sony harness?
Reason I'm asking is that I got line on a used Sony deck but it is missing the wiring harness.

Thanks
B

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
the decks are so cheap new, why would you buy a used on? Check ebay, great deals there on sony decks....

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Free is better that cheap, no?

This is a good head unit, it just doesn't have a harness. No sense buying a unit if I don't need to. If I need to buy a harness, they are available too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is a short 4" - 5" pig tail that plugs into the back of the deck. The Biketronics unit plugs into that. The pig tail comes with the radio. Good luck

·
Registered
166 Posts
Solder together

The Sony radio had the plug with pigtails and the unit with the Biketronic kit also had pigtails that needed to be soldered to the Sony. Biketronics included heat shrink tubing to cover the connections and the colors matched making it easy to find the right wires. You may be able to get the plug from Crutchfield or some other outlet.

I got my Sony from Best Buy, they were on sale with a rebate and gave you a set of speakers free. If you are interested in new, watch for good sales next week.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Sony deck I got (CDX5710) came with the pigtail and it was plug and play. No wiring to mess with. The Biketronics unit (Retro Radio) just plugged in. You shouldn't have to do anything as far as wiring.

·
Registered
166 Posts
electra boomer said:
The Sony deck I got (CDX5710) came with the pigtail and it was plug and play. No wiring to mess with. The Biketronics unit (Retro Radio) just plugged in. You shouldn't have to do anything as far as wiring.
I was told that by a Biketronics representative - if I buy the radio and Biketronics kit from Biketronics, they will pre-wire and test everything prior to shipping. I ended up purchasing my kit from Dennis Kirk and radio from Best Buy, so that is one possiblity why there is a difference or perhaps it has to do with the age of the bike. Mine is a '90 and has a different Biketronics kit that the newer bikes. I am not sure of the difference, but do know I had to solder the Biketronics leads to the Sony plug. Either way, he will need the Sony plug if he buys a used radio.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts