V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did the biktoberfest in daytona last week. i was suprised how few v-rods were on the street. i think i saw a dozen or so.
i pulled up next to one on the main drag that had samsons on his v-rod. he was wildly reving his motor and actually killing my ears with the noise. his buddy was next to me and wanted to hear my pipes, so i obliged. nothing as radical as the samsons. i told him that the noise was there, but i bet he had lost about 20hp in the process. the guy got his panties in a wad and told me that his buddies rod was the baddest mammer jammer in the valley!! well, i guess i stand corrected. maybe they were dating or something!
i observed a v-rod racing on one of the dyno type simulated race tracks. with stock se1 pipes, he put out 117 rear wheel hp and a 10.40 et.
later, as i was returning to the motel, 2 squids pulled up along side me and yelled "nice rice rocket"!
over all, the bike was a movie star as you all know. several times i had to lay on the throttle on the interstate, due to "rubber necking" and people who wanted to gawk at the bike.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I saw, and heard, a Rod with Sampsons at the local HD dealer a couple of months ago. Too loud and looked like crap!

Listened to a dealer modified bike with SE-1s. Stock look with deeper sound. Opted to go with the SE double barrels. Still nice looking and not nearly as L O U D as the Sampsons.

Pete

·
Registered
113 Posts
werewulf said:
i did the biktoberfest in daytona last week. i was suprised how few v-rods were on the street. i think i saw a dozen or so.
i observed a v-rod racing on one of the dyno type simulated race tracks. with stock se1 pipes, he put out 117 rear wheel hp and a 10.40 et.
That's about the same amount of V-Rods I saw from Friday thru Sunday. About half I saw parked and the other half I saw cruising on the strip. I didn't see many custom Rods. I saw one with the carbon graphite flames turning onto Beach St and I saw the radical orange one in the Performance Machine area. There was another one that had a different V-Rod graphic on the airbox cover. There was a girl from Charlotte who had a lot of chrome on hers. Another one had a snakeskin-looking Corbin seat, which was cool. A Brazilian living in Miami was having a cupholder and clock installed on his handlebars.

I wish I had seen the V-Rod on the dyno track! 117 rw hp with stock se1 - that's amazing! I thought the se1 was around 108-110 rw hp; I wonder if he had any other customization to achieve those figures.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i too wanted to know what mods the 117hp bike had, but he was gone before i could talk to him.
i saw one rod that had all its sheet metal polished like chrome. it looked better than i would have imagined.
i own a new deuce and it would cost 5 to 10k dollars to get it to run as well as my v-rod. but the important thing is that it would be so unreliable that i couldnt drive it to the grocery store. i think a lot of these v-rod bashers dont consider this. i can ride the v-rod 500 miles to daytona with confidence.
there is a lot of grumbling with the local government in daytona about the bike events. it looks like the bike events may be in their latter days. in a way i can understand why so many locals are getting tired of the "in your face" style of many bikers attending these events. i read that a lot of people want their town back and the money be damned.

·
Banned
490 Posts
Re: Re: biketoberfest observations

g-rod said:

.... Brazilian living in Miami was having a cupholder and clock installed on his handlebars.

If this guy wanted to drive a minivan, why didn't he just buy one?

Seriously, if you really need to know the time when your riding your 'Rod, it isn't that difficult to lift your arm up and look at your watch. And if you need a cup of coffee to get your adrenaline flowing on that bike, you either shouldn't be riding, or you're already dead....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: Re: Re: biketoberfest observations

VRodDrew said:

If this guy wanted to drive a minivan, why didn't he just buy one?

He was different. He thought the solid wheels made the bike more stable, not less. But I guess everyone has their own opinion on that.

He was trying to make his V-Rod into a touring bike. He had the Corbin seat with the big rider backrest. He also put the Kuryakyn full dresser bag on the backrest. That was the best idea he had -- after seeing it on his bike, I also bought one. Now when I go on a long trip, I actually have room to carry everything I need, and it removes easily unlike saddlebags. I couldn't figure out the clock either, except maybe he doesn't like watches. And the cupholder was big, black & ugly, but it detached easily with 2 screws, so you could use it for a long trip and then remove it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
werewulf said:
there is a lot of grumbling with the local government in daytona about the bike events. it looks like the bike events may be in their latter days. i read that a lot of people want their town back and the money be damned.
I heard that too. It's funny that they want to get rid of it when other locations in Central Florida are climbing all over themselves to host various bike events and get a piece of the biker's wallet.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey guys, Everyone has their own tastes, opinions, desires, needs, ideas, about their scooter. Let us not forget that deep down inside, if one really likes to ride, then they are a friend and therefore should have unconditional acceptance. If I happen by any biker, he is my friend unless proven otherwise. If that biker needs help, he is my brother.

JMS

·
Registered
113 Posts
JMS said:
Everyone has their own tastes, opinions, desires, needs, ideas, about their scooter. Let us not forget that deep down inside, if one really likes to ride, then they are a friend and therefore should have unconditional acceptance.
I wasn't criticizing him, simply noting that he was different from any other V-Rod owners I've met. I talked to him for about 10 minutes and some of his opinions about the bike were different from mine, but I didn't say that to him. He can believe whatever he wants and whatever makes him happy. At the time, I was just glad to talk with a fellow V-Rod owner, since there weren't many around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts