V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from Strugis, actually rode my bike, myself and 4 others, rode straight through on the way back 13 hours almost 900 miles , the bike was great ran perfect . Been riding since 1967, wore if you gotta ask you don't understand shirts back in the 70's Sporty, had a couple of hondas and just got my 02 flht this year. My how things have changed. Half the bikes at sturgis were trailer queens, if your not riding there whats the point? What is with the middle aged women trying to act like bikers? Is it a fashion thing? Are some of those women insane riding on the back of those custom bikes with no back rest one good bump and you are off, my friend saw one in a pool of blood with a leg missing. It was my first time in Sturgis I loved the riding and the beautiful country and all the cool custom bikes , but there are a lot of idiot riders out there, last I heard 8 dead and 100's injured. saferiding rickpoco

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Glad ya had a blast and riding is the only way to go !

These are big bikes. There has been an influx of new riders over the last few years. Starting out in 67 you well remember the folks on the road at that time were completely different. I started in 71 and what was on two wheels then is not the same today.

Back then, the threat was the cages only. Today it is the many riders that lack the experience.

Two years ago at The ROT there was a guy who back ended a stopped car at a light. The bike had to be doing 60 at the impact. It is sad to see but unfortunately will continue to increase.

There is not enough older riders bringing up the youngsters these days. To many packs of new riders under no ones wings.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea

I really think new riders should stay under 500cc for at least a year or two I think that used to be a law years ago. The worst ones there were the really young ones on choppers tyring to look like Jesse James in Hill city one time three of them drove between bikes at a stop sign and went through a red light , if these ass holes want to kill themselves thats there problem but the problem is they will take out innocent riders. rickpoco

·
Registered
318 Posts
Glad to hear you had fun at Sturgis, plan on going next year.

There are a lot of young and stupid riders who think they can do everything, but yet there are the few of us, like me, who take their time. I've been riding with my dad whose had his license for about 25 years, and I make sure I do everything he tells me to do, plus he says I'm a natural. :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
In reply to JimmyK, us new riders need the experience from the older croud.(I don't mean older as in chronologically older) Speaking for myself, I love me and want to stay around for as long as possible. I don't want to end up as road kill. Give us the advice......I know that I will heed it. Thanks. J.T.

·
Registered
695 Posts
rickpoco,
You and I think similar. A new rider has no business on a big, heavy bike but I do realize there are exceptions. Sounds like you're a good rider and have first-rate common sense.
Glad to hear your ride went well. The FLHT looks like a nice touring bike.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes the flht is actually my first tourning bike I really can't say enough about it most of the ride there and back was on interstates and that bike just purrs along at 70-80 mph, very comfortable seat, but I also enjoyed riding on all the roads around Sturgis, I am going back again.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If I didn't already have a touring bike I would have been looking at the FLHT. My last 2 bikes have touring bikes and the one I have now I like but it isn't a Harley. I was lucky enough to meet an elderly gentleman that let me have his bike for a real good price and the bike was almost new. Anyway my idea of owning a Harley has always been different than the cruiser and touring models, but still it was a hard decision until I sat on that FXDWG.
Anyway didn't mean to rattle on there just wanted to say glad your trip went well and maybe next year we can ride out together.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
fearnot69 said:
In reply to JimmyK, us new riders need the experience from the older croud.(I don't mean older as in chronologically older) Speaking for myself, I love me and want to stay around for as long as possible. I don't want to end up as road kill. Give us the advice......I know that I will heed it. Thanks. J.T.

Hiya Fearnot!

I believe that it is the RESPONSIBILITY of those who have been out there a while, to bring up they who would follow us into the wind.

That is the way it was back in the 70's when I was a pup. I was a youngster on a 650 Trumpet and I remember clearly that ALL the guys who were riding took the time to slap me when needed, point to better ways of doing things, highlighted the dangers, and just plain took the time to make sure that I knew what was up.

Todays new riders are tomorrows teachers. If we are to survive as a people who have distinct desires for The Wind, then we must pass the baton to those coming up.

Rideing is first and formost a matter of "Riding your own Ride". NEVER allow anyone to place you in a position that you are not comfortable with. If they are rideing faster than you feel good about, tell em you will meet em there. Formation rideing can be deadly. Never let anyone place you in a position in any pack that you don't feel good about.

The bike is nothing to be afraid of. PEOPLE ARE! Ride your own ride is the simplest and best advice I can offer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Boss

Fearnot:
Let me pass on a simple idea that my dad told me 35years ago when I
got my first bike.Its this,,,Always remember that the bike is the boss.When you think your the boss ,your going down!
I know its sounds even kind of corney,However, its kept me going for
35 years with two wrecks.I wish you many safe riding miles.
Ride Safe
masher:cool:

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Respect....

...for your bike,for your passengers experience,likes & dislikes,for fellow riders,for the audacity & lack of true driving skills by cagers,for road conditions,for that lttle voice in your head telling you to back off,for knowing when it's time to not jump in the saddle,for other peoples choices in what they ride,for the old time rule of ALWAYS helping stranded riders,regardless of make,for shitheads who are so arrogant to think they can safely operate a vehicle while chatting on a cell phone,for sand & gravel,for any kind of large truck,for knowing when it's time to pull over & take a break,for deer & moose,for older members of the driving public in Lincoln Continentals,for the first half hour or so on a rain drenched road,for the pool of oil at a tollbooth,for that 4 second interval after the traffic light turns green,for knowing when it's time to pull over & let the idiot in the mini-van who's been tailgating you,pass you,for your bikes mechanical condition,regular maintenance,& pre-ride checks,for remembering to do the previous,lol,for those who choose to wear,or not to wear,helmets !!

I'm sure I'm missing alot,these are just a few.

Most importantly,Enjoy!
guido

·
Registered
584 Posts
Thanks JimmyK, masher51, and guido. That is one of the reasons why I've subscribed to this forum. I only know a couple people who ride back home. I will probably be riding mostly by myself. I'm eager to learn and humble enough to heed the experience of others. The advice is well recieved and appreciated.
I've gone against the advice of rickpoco and cox9000 by purchasing a RK as my first road bike, but I do feel that I can handle it.(physically) I want to enjoy riding, but I'm beyond the stage of acting like an a$$ and showing off.(Really was never that type of person anyway...could care less what others thought of me. As long as I was happy with myself) I read the forum almost every day and try to learn as much as possible. And, as I've stated in other threads, the motorcycle safety course is first priority when I hit the great ol' USA. J.T.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fearnot69 You have a good attitude congrats on your bike, my first big bike was a 1000 cc sporty in fact in the Harley traveling museum they have a super glide with the same colors ,black with red white and blue strips, I learned to ride offroad and my first road bike was a 400 suziki enduro.I did a lot of stupid things when I was younger, not keeping up on maintance was a big one, I was racing a guy with a 750 norton going on to a freeway at about 90-100 mph some spokes on my back wheel let loose the bike shoke like a paint mixer and i endened up unhurt in the grassy medium if there had been a bridge or something else there I don't like to think of the outcome, I guess I just don't want to make some impression that i have always been a safe rider , I think I started really riding safer when my son was born . rickpoco

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
JimmyK said:
There is not enough older riders bringing up the youngsters these days. To many packs of new riders under no one's wings.
Jimmy, I'm one of the newbies(little over a year) and rode on MDA poker run 1st time yesterday. We hooked up with some other bikes heading same way and had 3 guys who definitely knew what the hell they were doing.

They rode lead and trail bike, made sure we had space to switch lanes when in traffic, stopped traffic on back roads when we had to turn so we could stay together, etc. I was kind of reminded of the guys who used to herd cattle(that we've seen on TV). They definitely made for a more enjoyable riding experience. I even apologized to one after we had made a right turn and I had cramp shoot up leg as I was in turn and almost was all over the road. Dang, I gotta get some road pegs.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
LOL ! Yep !

Everyone is different too. When I was riding with Manny to Holister, he chewed me out for being in the wrong position. I was riding to his right but pretty much on his rear fender. My excuse was I am used to the folks I ride with and that is the way we do it. If we are not side by side, we put the guy in front of us where we can see his smiling face in the right side mirror.

I noticed Manny was not smiling and when we pulled up to a stop he let me have it. LOL!

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Ride as if you were invisible because to most other drivers out there we are invisible. If it looks like the vehicle at the intersection is going to pull out in front of you, he just might. Look around even behind you, always have an escape route.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Very valuable advice indeed! I too am one of the newbies. I prefer to ride by myself as I feel that I can get the most out of riding without putting others in danger. Went on a 140 mile circle last Friday, something I try to do every Friday, and enjoyed the crap out of it.

Sunday I went on a small run. Couple hundred bikes, non-stop. Had a nice ride home where the bike was parked and the truck was used to go partying with my Bride.

Last night went on a coffee run of approx 60 miles to and about 25 miles home. No drinking whatsoever! Great guys, about 20 of us, with some fast bikes. When they opened them up, I was surprised to see that not everybody, including me and others behind me, did not follow suit. The comment above about catching up means a lot to me. Those bikes can go that fast and the experience level is high. My Sportster shakes over 70 mph and I don't want to go that fast. We eventually caught up and no one was angry about it.

Great thread here. Keep up the good advice. :D

G

·
I'm lucky I guess. My older brothers learned first and taught me before I hit my teens (one is now an MSF instructor). They waited patiently during my 'no bike period' and welcomed me back into the pack when I finally wised up and bought one. They didn't talk about it, but for a while I always ended up in the middle when we rode together. Now they'll even let me lead once inna while ... :D

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Poco, your observation about trailer queens is sure true. I noticed more Winnebagos towing enclosed mc trailers than bikes on the roads in the Black Hills. I wonder what the 'bagos would do if 5000 bikers went to one of their get-togethers and took up all the space? There are exceptions, but mostly if you don't ride to Sturgis you are a pansy.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.