V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering a Bourget Low-Blow and there's a quasi Harley Shop about 10 minutes from my house in Raleigh who has a used one on cycletrader and in their window.

I took my 4 year old son and headed up there to check it out. NOT THE TIME OF DAY!!! It was almost like the twightlight zone... The dudes just stood around and stared at us almost as if to make sure we didn't steal anything. They eagerly helped others in there before us, and eagerly helped others that came in after us - but we waited in that damn store for a good 30 minutes and got not so much as a "hello".

I'm not a hard-core biker... I'm just a regular guy - family man, business owner, 6 figures, mid life crisis, name your cliche - who buys these things because I think they are fun to ride and loves the way they look. Apparently those guys are only interested in what most consider, "a real biker" - but unfortunate for them, "real bikers" only bought 20% of the $500Mil spent on those things in the last year. The other 80% were cats just like me.

You catch them on the right day - some of the nicer shops around here will greet you with a hot dog, a hand ful of stickers for the kids - much less a friendly, "hello - can I help you?". I don't think I've been treated that cold by a bike shop since I was in the 9th grade, pedaling up to the local dealer just to sit on their Interceptors... and that was 20 years ago.

I certainly hope the owner of that shop pays his guys on commission and not hourly!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually - I should take all that back about Bikers Blvd.... I went to Twin Specialties in Raleigh today looking at Big Dogs and the guy comes out says, "hiya doing... mind not stepping on my floors, we just mopped them?" - and turns and walks back to his desk. (this was noon on a saturday and they are mopping the floors)

Hell, Bikers Blvd may have been shy and lousy with the sales skills, but at least they didn't tell me to get off the floors!

WTH - can someone tell me - am I just having a run of bad luck or is this REALLY what the custom chopper shops are like? Should I just be expecting to deal with these kind of people? What the heck are they like after the sale if they are this hard before the sale?

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Should have told the guy at Twin Specilities when he asked "Howya Doen", that you were great but his day sucked because instead of paying him cash for that Big Dog like you were going to do, you would be going elswhere to spend your 50 large and walked out.

·
In disguise
2,802 Posts
As a former resident of Raleigh and customer of both places, I have to think your experiences were not the norm.

Your description of yourself sounds remarkably like me--hardly the stereotype "biker", yet I bought my bike at Bikers Boulevard--it was on consignment. Steve, the owner of the store was very friendly and professional, well before he had any idea that I was seriously shopping for a ride. In fact, I went in there to look at a used Dyna and after talking to me about what I wanted in a bike, he took the time to explain the merits of the (now it's mine) FXR2 he had on the floor for the same price. As I recall, I was a bit intimidated at first from the outside, but found the interior of the shop spotless and well organized. Anyway, I bought my bike and frequented the store during my stay in Raleigh and would recommend the store to others. Karen and John behind the parts counter are very knowledgable and helpful as well. Tip: Don't be a male chauvinist and sterotype Karen based on her gender--she knows a lot.

As for Twin Specialties, I'm not as familiar with them although I have bought a few doodads there--motor oil mainly. My impression of them is that they mostly just want to sell bikes, and aren't necessarily as customer oriented as BB, but not unfriendly, either. I'm surprised to read your mopping-floors story. I believe you, understand, but I'm surprised nonetheless as that is truly rude on their part.

Looking back on my time in Raleigh, your stories more match my experience with Ray Price HD than the indy shops. After my first visit, I hardly ever went back to Price, because they treated me like a pain their butt for not buying a bike but *only* looking for parts and accessories. Living north of town towards Creedmoor, I'd recommend taking highway 98 over to Shelton's HD in Durham if you need to see a dealer. They were always much more welcoming than Ray Price, and more helpful and knowledgeable about parts and accessories as well. And they didn't mind having to look up what they didn't know right off the bat.

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
I extremely dislike Bikers blvd, retards work in there. However the parts guys at Twin Specialties have always been extremely helpful with me, my -2$en#e-. I wouldn't buy a new or used bike from either places, they are a little overpriced in my book. If you are looking at Big Dogs try http://www.rockymounthd.com in rocky mount. Better prices, and somewhat helpful. IF thats what you wanna call the leaches that work in the sales departments

·
In disguise
2,802 Posts
Well, obviously different people have had different experiences with the same shop. Some good, some bad. I suppose that's inevitable.

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
FXR2 said:
Well, obviously different people have had different experiences with the same shop. Some good, some bad. I suppose that's inevitable.
You are 100% correct

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
FXR2 said:
...I'd recommend taking highway 98 over to Shelton's HD in Durham
They finally got into their new building. It's bigger than Ray's place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Being in the North Durham area, I specifically make the drive to Bikers Blvd (passing Shelton's) as I have had nothing but great experience with them. Karen has a tremendous knowledge of parts and service and has helped me out numerous times. Kudos to BB.

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
Guess I caught them on a bad day, when their knowledge of how to mount tires on wheels was at a low

·
Registered
55 Posts
alaskan302 said:
If you are looking at Big Dogs try http://www.rockymounthd.com in rocky mount. Better prices, and somewhat helpful.
i recently heard that roucky mount hd is giving up their big dog dealership. i think they were having problems with big dog service. in addition, i don't think harley was too happy about them selling big dogs...

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
This might be the case, I stopped by there the other day and noticed they no longer had any bigdogs on the floor. Too bad though, cause they were 1500-4000 cheaper than twin specialties in Raleigh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts