V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was it just me, or did those 6 women on the Discovery Channel seem a bit goofy? I imagine with the camera out of the picture they might be normal lady riders, but I thought they came off as goofy. I'll damned sure give 'em credit for ridin', and going on their adventure and all, but.....

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Well, goofy might be a little tame. 2 or 3 of them didn't appear too off the wall but the rest were definitely living in their own world. Hell, who couldn't go on a trip with a motor home following you and a built in mechanic. Noticed they rode the wheels off from Durango to San Francicso, 1500 miles in 6 days. They didn't ride far enough in one day to even get a sore butt. Too bad Marla isn't here anymore to show them how it's done.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You mean to tell me that you don't have a van following you everywhere you go like these women and Jesse James? It must be nice not to deal with all the bad parts of traveling across th country... no hauling all the stuff you need on the bike, just throw it in the van.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not the miles... hell, my best trips are less than 200 miles a day - it's where ya go, what ya do, and how many barmaids you get your picture with that counts.... I've never reported my miles on any of my trip reports - thats not what it all about... (course I suppose if you're heading across country on the Interstate, then maybe miles mean something....)

then again... the kinda women I like riding with wouldn't make for good TV... they were just..... sheeeesh - goofy. Anyway - 'nuff said.....

·
Registered
515 Posts
I thought it sucked. I think Discovery did the ladys that ride an injustice. For the ones I meet are everyday people. Gothic girls, give me a break. They came off to me as wanna be's.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Riding Woman...Been Covered Before?

I thought it was "OK"...

These Discovery CH gals, riding bikes with ape hangers and the likes deserve some credit (I would have been more impressed if they would NOT have needed that mechanic dude in the RV to bail them out, but what the hell).

I'd also like to see WC Choppers ride w/o a back-up trailer for their very exspensive, limited, custom made bikes. If custom, hand made, why would extra protection be needed? (LOL)

There are lot of women that RIDE to Sturgis -- maybe they just need better coverage. I think it is cool that women are making such a large appearance...FWIW.

However, I think MANY 'normal' bikers have been tagged as "weird", so I am not eager to call another biker goofy, just yet. They a great canidate, and they did seem weird in a sort of way (Camera on?).

I just know biker lifestyle is now becoming mainstream, for better or worse!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I ride Interstates a lot, but usually just to get where I'm going. I don't want to take a month to get out to where I'm going just because I don't want to take Interstates. I want to get to where I'm going and then ride the roads I want to ride when I get there. Interstates are not all bad.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quite frankly I thought is stunk and was a gross misrepresentation of women riders everywhere. I'm still wondering where the hell they found these girls. I have copied my comments from a similar thread started in the Lady bikers lair...

I didn't think too much of it myself. Hell I could travel from one end of the country to the other and back again and again and again, if I had a mechanic in an RV behind me! Hello, if these women want to ride I think they should at least learn the basics like checking their own oil! They were all on newer bikes, so what's the problem?

Oh, ya and that poor girl who didn't have a rubber mounted engine, what a joke, those 2 on the sporty's were getting a rougher ride for sure!

And then there was the comentator "they've come to a state with no helmet law and so they are riding without helmets, is this dangerous, yes..." What a joke, on the previous show, the West Coast Chopper one at the end that guy was going down the highway standing on his seat! not one comment was made about that, was it because he was a guy? They made it sound like these girls were living on the edge not wearing a helmet.

there were a few other things that had the OM and I laughing our a** off, can't think of them right now, but as a whole I don't think those 6 women were a good representation of the women riders out there. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Oh, I dont know Muthuh, I think that show was a pretty good representation of women who ride. Especially the ones who ride and use this Forum. :eek: Just kidding, just kidding. Settle down ladies. I haven't even seen the show, when is it on again ?

·
old timer
516 Posts
I thought the show was a bit "weak" but I have met GothGirl and know a bit about her. She is the real thing...ever heard of the Devil Dolls ?

She is also a concert class pianist...

I'll leave it at that.

Don't judge too quickly by what the discovery channel chose to put in their program.

manny

·
Banned
490 Posts
Re: Riding Woman...Been Covered Before?

chiselchst said:
I'd also like to see WC Choppers ride w/o a back-up trailer for their very exspensive, limited, custom made bikes. If custom, hand made, why would extra protection be needed?
I'm actually amazed that an alleged mechanical genius like Jesse James would take a brand new engine on a 1500 mile high-speed run without paying any attention to break-in procedures whatsoever. Is anyone suprised that he ended up stripping threads on that motor?

As far as reliability is concerned, any time you do a "one off" anything, be it a motorcycle, boat, airplane, etc. you are much more likely to encounter premature component or design failures than you are with a production model, no matter how good a quality parts you put in it. Most new production model bikes from Honda, Harley, BMW, etc. require hundreds of man-years of engineering, plus tens of thousands of miles of testing before they get out into the marketplace, and even then there are recalls to fix things. A bike is a collection of systems, each of which is interdependant on the others.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Manny - I unnerstand totally - All's we had to deal with was the show's presentation of them... lesson learned here? Don't agree to do this kinda sh!t unless you get full editorial control over the outcome. I still give 'em credit where it's due and wouldn't object to bumping into them on the road (if I don't bump into their RV first) but this show made 'em look goofy. I know a camera in your face makes you do silly crap, yeah? But whaddahell...looks like THEY were having a blast and thats the point.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I didn't watch the one about the woman riders , but I am real sick and tired of these tv show and false ads , the week before I saw a couple of ads and they made it sound like the show was going to be about sturgis 2002. So I watched the one about the contest between the two bike builders and recorded but have not watched the one about the "jet chopper". Way too many commercials, pretty soon bike shows will be like fishing shows 10 monutes of fishing and 20 min of ads, b.s. I still hate having to pay for cable and watching commercials.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The biker women show........just plain friggin' lame. I could only stomach about 20 minutes of it. There are a lot of women that ride bikes out there that really have thier ducks in a row, those six certainly didn't. Made for a good "show" I guess for the totally lost and uninformed but that's where it ended. They need to take a look at the Women on Wheels organization or something like that.
What a silly bunch to be be represented by. Ladies, I'd be on the phone calling someone!

Jim
(riot inciter *BFG*)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts