V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So this was a motor thrown in for free when I bought my FXR. I'm just messing around with it trying to learn.
I'm trying to figure out what happened.. It had a S&S 561 cam, adjustable push rods in the rear and stock in the front. One of the adjustable in the rear was bent slightly.
I can see the valve has been damaged, I assume by hitting the piston.
The bolt impression near the valves has me at a loss.
If any of you can tell exactly what happened, I'm all ears, I'd like to learn.
the number on the side of the engine is DDLF504399 but I haven't figured out how to decode it yet
Also, are those stock valve springs?

Hope you enjoy the pics and thanks for any info

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably they threw in the bolt and crushed it once? Because if it stayed in there, more damage to the head. And did you find the bolt in there? Was throw in after that damage.

Looks like he was hauling ass and seized it at high speed. Detonation due to the broken ring grooves and collapse at the top piston dome. Most likely found a problem with one cylinder and replaced with an adjust set. Timing was maybe too advanced.

Color spring code by aftermarket, so no, not stock springs.
No, there was no bolt in there. When I was taking the rockers off one of the three 7/16 bolts was missing. I held one to the threads and it matched perfectly. . . might not mean anything, just found it odd

Color spring code, I'm going to have to google into that and see if I can identify the springs or get some info

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like it ate a air box bolt. The sat somewhere in the rain. And after enough time passed, someone figured it had healed itself.

Don't stop there, it prolly has water damage in the crank and rod bearings too.

Valve springs look to be Andrews by the color.

Vin decoder does not like the engine number. But the heads are early Evo, bottom breather. You'll need to look at the rocker boxes to narrow it down.
A friend and I are going to rip it down and build it up or at least use it to learn on. I've got a few bikes to finish first so it'll be awhile. But, in time we hope to make a bad ass motor out of it.
When we get there, I'll start with having the crank looked at and just build up slowly as time and money allows from there. It's an extra motor so it's not hurting anyone just sitting around.

I agree with the Andrews as well. From what I googled it looked Andrews high lift, but out of ignorance, I don't know how much lift they can take. It was running a 561 cam, but I've seen andrews high lift for UP TO .560 Forgive me if I sound like a dumb ass, still learning the finer details of it all.

I did some googling, over and over, and I think it's a 1990 Evo... case at least. That's a thumb in the air, breeze feels good kinda guess. I'll try and learn more about the rocker boxes you suggested and go from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts