V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
happened to me in Daytona and they replaced the circuit breaker that had a recall on it...

later that same day it happened again at the new dealership down there (very nice) and they replaced the battery and said that was my problem...

It hasn't given me any hint of a problem since (2 weeks today), and then this morning, after backing it out of the garage, getting my jacket, helmet, and glasses on, no start, then the engine light started blinking...

what you guys think?

·
Banned
873 Posts
I had to replace my voltage regulator last summer. I started out thinking it was the battery, too.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when they replaced the battery, the guy told me that the battery that was in it was not strong enough to handle a motorcycle continuously, although it hadn't given me any problems to that point. (I had the bike broke down for about 4 months, so that probably started the battery problems b/c that is never good for a battery)

when i was at Destination Daytona, a guy from Ft. Lauderdale pulled in just ahead of me, and said his battery was going down, turned out to be his voltage regulator...

all my lights come on bright and seem to work ok, everything else works ok, it just want start, turn over, nothing...not even a hint of turn over

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If they just replaced your battery, there may be a loose connection to it somewhere. Check both ends of the battery cables. There's a good change with all that activity in the battery cable area, one of the cables might have come loose. As someone else said, I've seen regulators go bad too.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Change your battery first. Its cheap. That just may solve it. Then go from there. If its more than 3 years old, you should have a new one anyway.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
I think he did that...........

.............could be wrong, but........

YankeeBob said:
Change your battery first. Its cheap. That just may solve it. Then go from there. If its more than 3 years old, you should have a new one anyway.
01RKRiney said:
later that same day it happened again at the new dealership down there (very nice) and they replaced the battery and said that was my problem....

·
Banned
873 Posts
01RKRiney said:
when they replaced the battery, the guy told me that the battery that was in it was not strong enough to handle a motorcycle continuously, although it hadn't given me any problems to that point. (I had the bike broke down for about 4 months, so that probably started the battery problems b/c that is never good for a battery)

when i was at Destination Daytona, a guy from Ft. Lauderdale pulled in just ahead of me, and said his battery was going down, turned out to be his voltage regulator...

all my lights come on bright and seem to work ok, everything else works ok, it just want start, turn over, nothing...not even a hint of turn over
Mine did basically the same thing.
You can test the voltage regulator and stator by diconnecting the cable between the two and using a multi-meter. Grab a manual for specific directions.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
The_Snowman said:
.............could be wrong, but........
Oops....my bad. Reading all the posts, it becomes all one big blur sometimes!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a few months back, the local dealership told me that I had a 'stator plug leak'...could this be the cause? :dunno:

at the Daytona dealership, the tech told me that the voltage reader he had read a certain level, then when he tried to start it, it dropped in half, so he said the battery needed replacing, he did that and no problems until today...

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
More than likely it is charging only a little. Probably just enough to keep a fully charged new battery good for a couple of weeks. Or you could have a short that is draining the battery to the point that the charger just can't keep up after a week or two. Hard to tell. A manual should work you through the diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
What kind of bike are we talking about here?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never cut the kill switch off (unless I'm in town) and when I changed the levers out to chrome, I bypassed the clutch deal, so I don't have to pull in the clutch anymore to start like most police models

·
Registered
9 Posts
Like i said I had to ask. Did ya look at the white plug on solinoid to see if it is pluged in good . I have seen them come loose just enough so the bike wont start.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
F.N.G. said:
Like i said I had to ask. Did ya look at the white plug on solinoid to see if it is pluged in good . I have seen them come loose just enough so the bike wont start.
what plug and where?

bike fired right up today at lunch...with clutch in and out...:dunno:

driving me up the wall!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
On the right side of the bike just above the tranny sets the starter. There is a wire with a white plug. Sometimes they come loose. It sounds like someting some where is loose.Could be the switch . If it dosnt start have you tried truning the switch a couple times. Im not a tech just trowing out ideas.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yesterday at lunch it fired right up...today at lunch it made one click, then nothing...

I'll check that plug...

is there any sensors or anything that might cause this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check the voltage at the battery also,,,,sometimes the charging system will just barely put out enough to keep the batter charged. If you have bright light, idle for little bit, or anything else to cause an extra load or lower charge,,,the voltage will drop too low to start. Because it is still charging a little, you may be able to charge the battery and it run for while,,,but you will be pulling your hair out trying to understand why it is dead sometimes. If the charging system is borderline, say at or just below 12 volts, go ahead and replace regulator and stator together and you won't have to worry about it again. If you show high 12, close to 13 volts, then look for that loose connection.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.