V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you follow the current bike trends?

Same 95" build, same bars, chrome pieces, etc...???

The reason I ask is because the more I read, the more it seems like everybody wants to "customize" their bikes with the same exact thing as the last guy.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
FLSTFI-2005 said:

The reason I ask is because the more I read, the more it seems like everybody wants to "customize" their bikes with the same exact thing as the last guy.

Oh, not me! I'm far from trying to make mine look like someone elses. I think the newer riders go for all the Harley accessories, but the, been around, wiser riders go for uniqueness. I'm always look'n for something that no-one else has. The only option to not having the "same" look, is build your own bike.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Carrie said:
Oh, not me! I'm far from trying to make mine look like someone elses. I think the newer riders go for all the Harley accessories, but the, been around, wiser riders go for uniqueness. I'm always look'n for something that no-one else has. The only option to not having the "same" look, is build your own bike.
But even then it comes down pretty much to there is only so much than can be done that is practicable, new or different.

I for one am glad to see the trend is over with of the dipped in colored plastic looking replica bikes that everyone was building in the 90's :puke:

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
FLSTFI-2005 said:

In the engine and performance arena, the tendency for sameness is rooted in success. If somone with a particular build using specific parts has a good running, trouble free bike, with lots of HP and TQ, then people want to copy it. It's a lot cheaper than trying different combinations on your own and screwing things up.

As for appearance, well it's all what you like.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
@gree:
Most people do motor work because they know what works well. The pipes tend to be the only difference as a preference to sound and style.
As far as chrome goes, Chrome don't get you home. Add what you want to make your bike look like you want, but anybody else can do the same. Paint and custom made parts makes a bike stand out as different.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Carrie said:
.....I think the newer riders go for all the Harley accessories....
We call that the "Live to Ride" Club. It is easy to find members, their bikes have Live to Ride mirrors, timing cover, derby cover, tank panel, gas caps, grips, headlight visors, brake caliper covers etc.....

It started when this lady saw a bike that had all that stuff on it and said something like "ohh look at that one, he must be in a club or something."

As far as appearance goes, YOUR bike should look anyway YOU want it to look. To me it doesn't matter if it is the only one like it or if there are 12,000 that look just like it AS LONG AS YOU LIKE IT!!!

And for performance mods, how many different ways can you build an engine? There are millions of Harley's out there so being unique can be difficult.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I am 50 now...............been involved in bikes since my old man bought my older brother a royal enfield 500cc, and me and my friends (around 10 years old) used to get up in the middle of the night and grab it, push it up the road, one of us would hold the bike up while the other jumped on the kick start.....then we would go on midnight runs around the neighbourhood.

Got to say that my tastes in motorbikes has evolved and these tastes changes in approx. 5 year periods and has done so for all my life................what was important once no longer matters............what I liked 5 years before has faded away and something new has replaced it..........

So............being different sometimes means being the same.................for me nowadays and with my circumstances............when I look at my bike, it is pleasing to the eye, when I get on it and start it, I feel 20 years old again..........when I ride....................it just becomes a something to enjoy and takes my mind off everthing else around me........when I get home and my back aches and my arze aches.....I just laugh, shake my head, remember the days when I raced and was bullet proof, grab a cold one and put the legs up and smile.........I am happy to be doing this ......still!

So I dont care if my scooter looks the same as someone elses, there will always be something different........to everyone elses............and it will be in my eye!

All the best, Ozzie

·
Registered
213 Posts
Agree with all the above. I ordered all my parts and said, "I'm gonna rebuild my bike..." When it was finished the only two people that reconized it was my buddy, who helped me do the work, and my ole lady, who helped pay for the parts.

BTW: "build your own bike" doesn't mean order a bike in a box, 'cause then you are just assembling someone else's idea of a bike.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
FLSTFI-2005 said:

I went with a popular 95" build based on what I read here. I can say that it's been good to me so far. It's to the mild side and should be reliable for some time. (I hope I don't pay for saying that) As far as the rest of the work I have done, well where I wanted to take it has changed. Stlye doesn't always equal function and that is where I have changed out a few parts. The result of having to pay to do things twice has slowed me down a bit and I think things through a lttle more.

Yes there are people doing the same things, but in the end it's all good.

This is where I am now and I have some other things to do and I hope to have them done this winter.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Originally Posted by george248
I have a very unique... custom kinda bike.

OrangeTJ said:
Right on! You and me both!
We can start our own club. :banana:

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Unome said:
Originally Posted by george248
I have a very unique... custom kinda bike.

We can start our own club. :banana:
Hey man,

What's the band playing???

·
Registered
927 Posts
You want a trend prediction? Here goes:

I predict that within 7 years from now HD will make bikes like car makers do, having a base bike that you put on option packages too, or a checklist of things that "routinely" are added by the dealer, so that you can go online and 'customize' your HD the same way you would a new Chevy or ford.

That's my .02, but remember, free predictions are worth what you paid for them, LOL

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Some Guy said:
You want a trend prediction? Here goes:

I predict that within 7 years from now HD will make bikes like car makers do, having a base bike that you put on option packages too, or a checklist of things that "routinely" are added by the dealer, so that you can go online and 'customize' your HD the same way you would a new Chevy or ford.

That's my .02, but remember, free predictions are worth what you paid for them, LOL
Hey Some Guy.................you can do that now.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Retired
1,832 Posts
I went the functional route with mine,until last week when I replaced my tore up shifter peg with a Nostalgic peg. $15 bling-bling.:wootdnc:
Replaced my outer primary and derby cover with a stock new take-off for $50 including shipping on ebay.:Banadance

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
OrangeTJ said:
Right on! You and me both!
Me also. Can't be real unique with three of us owning stock bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
PickAttack said:
Nah...I wouldn't of bought "Yellow Pearl" then.:wootdnc:
Your bike is sweeeeeeeeet! :thumbsup: Are the jugs diamond cut and if so by who and if you really don't mind,how much. :thanks:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts