V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an idea of what could be causing my 2007 Road King to shut-off in the middle of a ride? I will be taking it to the dealer in a few days, but just wanted to know if anyone here can shed some light on this. Thanks.

p.s. It re-starts either moving or stopped.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Does anything else go off?

Hey guys, does anything else shut off?

Is it a complete shut down of all lights and such or just a motor shut down?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't thought to check the lights because I am usually more concerned about getting out of the way or whatever and starting it up again. I haven't noticed any lights on when it happens though. It seems as if there is total shut down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure how the later models are configured, but I had this problem with my 02 Ultra (95" Stage 2). The Main C/B was positioned over the rear exhaust cross over and when I got up to operating temps the breaker would pop. Pull over. Stop for a minute wait for breaker to reset. Restart limp home.
Not enough wire to reposition the breaker, so I tried the 50 amp breaker fix from harley. No luck. (believe 04's and above have 50 amp breaker stock)
After much research, I wired in a 40 amp maxifuse ($10 at NAPA) and have been trouble free ever since.
Good luck.
Deet

·
ALK
321 Posts
I vaguely remember a similiar episode that a friend experienced with his new Road King quite a few years ago.

It shut off, period, and left him by the side of the road. Still under warranty, a voltage regulator (?) was the culprit. Hasn't had any problems since...too, I believe at the time there was a directly related Technical Bulletin or recall.

Hope you find resolution soon.
:chopper:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Since 2 07 are doing it

I bet that it is like the older bikes with the breaker. I highly suggest letting the dealers handle this if under warranty. Melted wiring sucks and it would be their deep pockets footing the bill.

The total loss of power to everything does point towards either the breaker or main ground but . . .

I had a customer end up on the side of the road a few months back with a loose ground, but in that case - it did not clear up after setting. So that leans more towards a breaker, since you all said it does reset.

But if I remember with the older bikes that had the breaker problem, some actually had a wire causing too much draw due to the supplier using the wrong guage or connectors? This caused the breaker to get too much current going through it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 07 RK did it twice in 6000 miles but since I went with the SERT I have had 3200 trouble free miles. Guess it may have been some sort of glitch in the ecm and flashing it cleared the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts