V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Fatboy. Installed a stage I kit and changed the pipes to Python III slip ons. Installed a Revtech DFO. Did not get a flash or remap. For awhile the bike ran great. It always ran a little rich when it was cold and would sometimes sputter a bit during third to fourth gear acceleration but this would go away once the bike warmed up. But now I'm having this sputtering problem even when the bike is warm. I've adjusted the settings on the DFO when the bike is warm to try to get it run a smoother. I've checked all of the wiring to ensure that nothing has come loose. The whole set up is less than a year old. The bike is even cutting off on me while going down the road. I've changed gas several times. Anybody have any idea what is going on with this thing?

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Check for an intake leak. Spray some starter fluid or WD-40 around all the intake gaskets. If the bike speeds up, you have a leak. If it were my bike, I'd get the stage I download anyway.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Kingdog said:
I have a 2002 Fatboy. Installed a stage I kit and changed the pipes to Python III slip ons. Installed a Revtech DFO. Did not get a flash or remap. For awhile the bike ran great. It always ran a little rich when it was cold and would sometimes sputter a bit during third to fourth gear acceleration but this would go away once the bike warmed up. But now I'm having this sputtering problem even when the bike is warm. I've adjusted the settings on the DFO when the bike is warm to try to get it run a smoother. I've checked all of the wiring to ensure that nothing has come loose. The whole set up is less than a year old. The bike is even cutting off on me while going down the road. I've changed gas several times. Anybody have any idea what is going on with this thing?
Does sound like a loose earthing wire for the cut out, spluttering is a sign of a rich condition.

What are your current numbers??...........and it is quite important to have the motor at operating temp and approx. 1800rpm when adjusting 1st pot, after that try 6, 4, 4.........for pots; 2, 3, and 4.

Very easy to run too rich if green pot is not adjusted as mentioned above.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyone's help. It finally got so bad that I had to take it to a shop. The mechanic said that he had to replace a fuel module(?) because the old one just fell apart when he took it out. The total bill was $25.00 for the complete repair, including labor. The bike is still in the shop for some other work so I haven't been able to check it out as of yet. But when I do I'll be sure to tell all of you if this was the fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts