V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip to Nova Scotia and plan on spending a few days in NYC on the way back. I can stay at any Hilton hotels for free (bonus points), so I'll stay at either the Times Square Hilton or the Waldorf. However, the parking garages at these hotels said they do not accept motorcycles. Has anyone here ever had a problem parking a bike in downtown NYC? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The last thing this poor country boy needs is to be lost in the middle NYC looking for a place to park my bike.

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
404 Posts
Been riding in NYC for the past 20 yrs or so.

If the hotel parking lot will not let you park your bike there are many parking facilities all throughout NYC that will. You can definitly search the parking lots close to the hotel for a space. Don't park your bike out on the street overnight or it will be gone or seriously fubared when you go to get it in the morning. NYC is still NYC.

Make damn sure you bring a kick ass chain and lock, along with a disk lock as well. It is NYC and they will take your bike if you don't chain it up. So that being said, cruise the blocks around your hotel, find an enclosed Garage with attendants and chain your bike to a concrete / steel pole.

When your out cruising, it is easy if your downtown and on the upper West and East side to ride your bike and park it in front of the Tavern or resturaunt and chain it up and still keep an eye on it.

Also, while your there, if your planning to go downtown to go see ground Zero, Wall street, etc.you can take Water Street up from Wall Street hop up onto the Williamsburg Bridge and cross over the east river into Brooklyn and get off at the first exit and take North 14th Street up to Indian Larry's shop. It's no more than a 15 minute ride from Wall Street. It's a great ride and a great shop. Plus you can eat at Peter Lugar's and have some increadable steak on the ride back.

Just some words of advice for riding in the City. They "will" kill you if you don't keep your Sh!t together. The Cabs, Delivery Trucks and especially the Buses are completly brutal. So keep your guard up, and keep a "cushion of air" around you at all times.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
mwike said:
I'm planning a trip to Nova Scotia and plan on spending a few days in NYC on the way back. I can stay at any Hilton hotels for free (bonus points), so I'll stay at either the Times Square Hilton or the Waldorf. However, the parking garages at these hotels said they do not accept motorcycles.
Let's see..NYC..center of the capitalist universe....

I'd show up and grease the parking attendant's palm.

I'm almost certain they'll park it where they can watch it 24/7.

It's all about the benjamins. :cool:

·
Registered
393 Posts
mwike said:
I'm planning a trip to Nova Scotia and plan on spending a few days in NYC on the way back. I can stay at any Hilton hotels for free (bonus points), so I'll stay at either the Times Square Hilton or the Waldorf. However, the parking garages at these hotels said they do not accept motorcycles. Has anyone here ever had a problem parking a bike in downtown NYC? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The last thing this poor country boy needs is to be lost in the middle NYC looking for a place to park my bike.

thanks,
Mike

Call the 800 number for the rewards members. Sounds like you use Hilton very often. Explain the problem and they should contact the hotel and get your bike in (if they are smart). If they won't tell them you will just have to stay someplace else from now on.

Parking in NYC can be expensive. There are many garages around but I would try to get the Hotel to work with you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wyodude said:
Let's see..NYC..center of the capitalist universe....

I'd show up and grease the parking attendant's palm.

I'm almost certain they'll park it where they can watch it 24/7.

It's all about the benjamins. :cool:

I definately intend on tipping the attendant - when I arrive, not when I leave.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
mwike said:
I definately intend on tipping the attendant - when I arrive, not when I leave.
The attendant may work it both way's. Take your's and their's.

I wouldn't be able to sleep.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vafatboy said:
The attendant may work it both way's. Take your's and their's.

I wouldn't be able to sleep.

May need to just drink more so as not to worry so much. :beer4u:

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
mwike said:
May need to just drink more so as not to worry so much. :beer4u:
That's the ticket!!! @gree:

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
The only place I would park my bike in NYC is in my Hotel room. Everyplace else makes it fair game for wonton criminals.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Park your bike overnight in NYC.....Don't make me laugh. Here's what you do, call the H-D dealers in NYC, or in North Jersey, and ask if you can store your bike inside(for a price, cash is the ticket) while sightseeing, and use mass transit or cab it around NYC, then get back on your bike, and get out of Dodge. If nothing happens to you or your bike consider yourself lucky and the experience once in lifetime. One person on a bike is an easy mark, if you don't know where you are going in NYC, you can end up in the wrong place. Don't take any firearms with you either. It ain't Disneyland, and people there aren't from Kansas.

Thorns

·
Wanderer
448 Posts
Ignore the sissies that are scared of the big, bad city.:roflback: :roflback:

If you stay near Times Square, on 44th street between 5th and 6th Avenues, there's a parking garage called Hippodrome (across the street from Red Flame Restaurant). You won't have a problem there. Park on the 2nd floor. I park my bike there every time I ride to work. No problems, ever. It's indoors and secure BUT it does get busy.

If you go to the Waldorf, there's a few garages around the hotel, check with those first and asking the conceirge/lobbyman/doorman might help too. You won't have a problem so don't sweat it.

Any other NYC type question, let me know.~!Awesome!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thorns said:
Park your bike overnight in NYC.....Don't make me laugh. Here's what you do, call the H-D dealers in NYC, or in North Jersey, and ask if you can store your bike inside(for a price, cash is the ticket) while sightseeing, and use mass transit or cab it around NYC, then get back on your bike, and get out of Dodge. If nothing happens to you or your bike consider yourself lucky and the experience once in lifetime. One person on a bike is an easy mark, if you don't know where you are going in NYC, you can end up in the wrong place. Don't take any firearms with you either. It ain't Disneyland, and people there aren't from Kansas.

Thorns
Thanks for this bit of advice. I should have thought of this myself. I did something similar to this once before when trailering a Ducati around.

Mike

·
Retired
1,832 Posts
mwike said:

thanks,
Mike
I hear this parking spot is availible,and no problem getting a cab either.

·
Jack ***
470 Posts
I have parked my bike in the streets in NYC dozens of times with NO trouble.
Whenever I'm going to a concert or something like that, I park it in a garage. Most will take bikes. They usually tell you where to put it and you lock it up, get your ticket and it will most certainly be there when you get back and be fine.

I love the way people think if you leave a bike in the street in NYC it will be gone when you get back. Get real, The chance of that is remarkably small, Especially in Manhattan. I have a friend who was arguing with his wife on the phone leave his Eglide unlocked and open on 1st ave all night and it was fine.

Don't forget to check out Hogs and Heifers on Washington St. Between 14th and 13th, Red Rock which I think is on 11th ave and 17? street. These places usually have a kid outside to watch bikes. Another good place is Coyote Ugly on 1st ave between 9th and 10th.

Have fun!! NYC kicks ass!!!!

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
watch the metal plates&pot holes

mwike said:

thanks,
Mike
parking inthe street is impossible overnight and expensive in the garages. if you park in the street at other times,check the signs. many are missing and you may have to walk a hundred or so feet to find one. park legally or the traffic monkeys and rookie cops will nail you.btw,when are you coming down,it's gettin' real cold. later,rob

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Mikedc3, The first thing the parking garage attendant will tell you is they are not responsible for your bike. Your Jersey plate means you won't give up looking for it, and you are a local, but for someone who lives North Carolina, it's a bus ride back home without his bike period. You can tip the attendant as much as you want, but he/she is going home, and late at night in the parking garage where no one is around, it only takes a NYC minute for your bike to be in the back of a van. I'm not saying it can't do it, but why chance it. Plus being lost in NYC isn't fun, which I doubt you ever get lost. He will have enough trouble just getting around in Jersey! But, to each his own.

Thorns

·
Wanderer
448 Posts
Thorns said:
Mikedc3, The first thing the parking garage attendant will tell you is they are not responsible for your bike. Your Jersey plate means you won't give up looking for it, and you are a local, but for someone who lives North Carolina, it's a bus ride back home without his bike period. You can tip the attendant as much as you want, but he/she is going home, and late at night in the parking garage where no one is around, it only takes a NYC minute for your bike to be in the back of a van. I'm not saying it can't do it, but why chance it. Plus being lost in NYC isn't fun, which I doubt you ever get lost. He will have enough trouble just getting around in Jersey! But, to each his own.

Thorns
Sorry Thorns but that just isn't the case. All those indoor garages are manned 24hrs. All you have to do is look at the white "rate wall" all garages have posted at the entrance. It will have an MC rate. If it doesn't, just keep going.

If he goes to the TS Hilton, he has at least two garages that accept bikes. Hippodrome on 44th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues and Central, also on 44th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues. Central has specific MC parking on the first floor at street level while Hippodrome has spaces you kind of shove them into. I know Hippodrome well and I would say park there.

I wouldn't park on the street only because of the cops and traffic agents will probably give you a ticket (possibly a tow) but not because it might disappear. The only bikes that seem to disappear quick in NYC are sport bikes.

NYC is a lot safer than it used to be. You can walk around Times Square at 4AM and see all the friggin tourist all trying to get on Good Morning whatever, waving their signs and sleeping on the floor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts