V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been in the 20's here so I haven't had the bike out for about a month. Just wondering how long is to long to leave it parked in an unheated garage. Changed all the fluids and had a short ride then it got cold and windy. 05 Road King 5000 mi. Thanks for any advice.

·
Another Old Fart
241 Posts
Normal storage procedures would apply. Clean fluids, add stabil to tank, top it off with gas, use a battery tender to charge battery and you should be fine till spring. Hope this helps... Mike.....

·
Registered
769 Posts
luna said:
It has been in the 20's here so I haven't had the bike out for about a month. Just wondering how long is to long to leave it parked in an unheated garage. Changed all the fluids and had a short ride then it got cold and windy. 05 Road King 5000 mi. Thanks for any advice.

I dont think i would worry about it ,,, as has been said change the fluids,,,, thow a tender on it ,, and you may or may not want to put stable in the fuel. I live in michigan ,,, our bikes sit from late nov to the middle of march ....if we are lucky we get a ride during the jan thaw .....what you dont want to do is keep going out and starting it up. You are doing it no good to run it unless you run it long enough to fully bring it up to operating tempature ,,,, running for 5 or 10 minutes actually isnt good for the bike due to it never gets hot enough to burn off the moisture created by the combustion process.... rat

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I put baggies over pipes with rubberbands. So creatures don't go up there. I have put it on a lift too. Not sure if it makes a difference. Only thing I've done this year is remove battery. Go to get going on that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I live in Idaho and we just broke the record from 1888 for 17 consecutive days below 30 degrees. I hate it.

But with that said, my scoot has a 2x4 under her front and rear. I trickle charge her every two weeks and she normally is at 80% or so. I never add sta=bil nor do I freshen the fluids.

Some folks say to place her atop cardborad, but I've never heard that before from locals around here. All the folks up here say to just keep the scoot charged and don't start her until I'm ready to ride her.They aren't saying anything about Sta-bill or anything else.

So....with that advice, I guess that you should do whatever ya feel like doing, you can see what I'm doing.

Just a few shekels.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Trickle charge should do it, at least you have a covered garage. I like the idea of adding new fluids, but I always thought better to replace them when the weather clears up.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
You really should do something with the gas. Think about it. What happens to gas? Gums up, turns to varnish. Either drain it or put stabil it. I used to turn the petcock off and run it. Now I use stabil.

·
Registered
769 Posts
berserker said:
You really should do something with the gas. Think about it. What happens to gas? Gums up, turns to varnish. Either drain it or put stabil it. I used to turn the petcock off and run it. Now I use stabil.

Please dont drain the gas ,,, your tank has a very good chance of rusting .... as for stabil..... i have gone 7 winters with two bikes ,, no stabil ,, no problems ..it is a good idea to top off the tank ......rat

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do you open & close garage. If so, this may be a problem.

Rust forms with fluctuating temp, above & below freezing, hence keeping heated above freezing, keeps you out of trouble.

If the unheated garage is opened rarely, the temp stays relatively constant anyway & should not be a problem. If it is opened daily for other vehicles, snow shovels, etc., I would be worried about this.

My $0.02

:blink:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
ratt said:
Please dont drain the gas ,,, your tank has a very good chance of rusting .... as for stabil..... i have gone 7 winters with two bikes ,, no stabil ,, no problems ..it is a good idea to top off the tank ......rat
I didn't drain tank. Just emptied/lower bowl in carb. Though in old days with cork? gaskets they could get dry and crack.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Luna, do a Google or Yahoo search for winterizing Harley Davidson or just motorcycles in general and you will find many sites for good winterization. To do it right takes a little time but would be well worth it.
Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Registered
762 Posts
Some good suggestions here. Tp prevent flat spots, I over-inflate my tires for winter storage. I never liked the idea of leaving my bike on a lift. Seems like the frame would be stressed if left on a lift for 3 or more months. What do y'all think?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Its been cold here too.:yes:

I just dress warm and ride anyway. ~!Awesome!

·
Registered
287 Posts
A lift would not stress the frame any more than the reverse stress setting on the kick stand. Car buffs raise theirs to avoid spring compression. Getting the tires off the concrete is well advised. A lift or blocks under the frame do all of above.
Expanding the brake pads off the disks will prevent rusting under the pads. Had this happen with out any ill effects except on my mind. Or move the tires a couple of times especially if you washed the bike just before storing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts