V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm presently looking for a rollabout floor style bike jack/stand that will work with a 2003 RKC. The H-D one is pricey and others I've looked at are allot cheaper but wonder if they still have the quality.

Guess I'm looking for comments from all 'bout the various ones offered by WallyWorld/K-Mart/Sears and any others. I'm one to pay for quality but still shop for the best price. In addition I hate finding what looks to be a deal, then when using find it to be junk.

I'm sure someone has found a stand that's solid, easy to roll around, hydraulic and just really does the job right.
Am I really asking for too much???

Thx!!!
:) :cool: :)

·
Banned
490 Posts
Lifts

You've just described the Sears Craftsman bike lift. It retails for about $120, but I've seen it as low as $99 on sale. It has a hydraulic bottle jack to provide the lifting force, as well as mechanical stops to prevent unintended dropping. It comes with nylon tie-down straps, and has fairly good casters to allow you to roll the bike around. It has the capacity to hold just about any bike short of a Boss Hoss.

Its probably not the sort of lift to use in a professional shop - but for general home-garage tinkering (adding accessories, oil changes, etc.) it is great.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I bought the craftsman lift myself for my 2003 FXDWG, i got it on sale for $99. It works great, my father spent over $300 for his and mine works just as well. The only difference in the two is that his has a wider base and you can actually get up on the bike with the bike on the stand. I don't think I will ever need that feature, and wont miss it. In my opinion the craftsman is well worth the money. I move mine around the garage constantly and have yet to have had a problem.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
...ditto on the Sears Craftsman. Got mine for $99 (they go on/off sale quite often), but its been mention here if you join their tool club, you can get an additional 10%.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I use the sams club one all the time on an 02 flht, a buddy has one which he has used for years, and he stores his flhtc on it no problems. I think it was $89. I use tie downs also. If I remember right the sams club is lower .

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yes, I remember the Sam's Club being lower, but less stable... I have seen the Craftsman on sale for $89 (plus if you are a member of their Tools club 10% more off).

·
Registered
246 Posts
I also have the sears lift and it is great. The one thing you want to look for on a lift is locks. Meaning if you store it up you don't have to worry about the jack leaking.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Be careful with softails

Yeah, but I bought the Craftsman lift two weeks ago, and it wouldn't fit under my '02 Deuce. I took it back, but then I was thinking I coulda got two 1" thick boards (one under each wheel) that probably woulda raised it just high enough for it to fit.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I know alot of people love the Craftsman lift. It ain't the greatest for Touring models, especially the Road King. Measure the rails the bike sits on. You will find that they are too wide to fit in the frame's crossmember. I bought one, tried it with my Road King and took it back. I found a more stable lift at Northern Tools for the same money. The bike sits on the rails. The lift is both longer and wider making it more stable.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Chopper Dude, I had the same happen with my wide glide. I just put two pieces of plywood on the floor , ride the bike up on them, and both tires sit up on the plywood, they jack slides right under with no problem...

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Got mine at Cosco's (like Sams) fer 99. Works great fer winter time like know. I put the bike in this corner spot I have and can still pull the OL's mini van in front of it. And it helps out when cleaning, pop it up and have a seat next to her. Open a beer and shine ner up.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Gator13...

Yeah, shoulda thought of the "two boards trick" before I returned the lift, as I mentioned in my previous post. I went out today and saw it was really easy to do it, so I'm gonna go back today and "rebuy" the lift.

Sheesh, sometimes I'm such a dumbass.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
OH! And one other question about lifts...

It appears my rear shocks protrude below the frame rails. For those of you with softails, do you buy adapters for the frame rails that "thicken" them, or just put the lift under the shocks? I'd be kinda concerned that would damage them.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thx for all the great comments. They were exactly what I was looking for. This forum is a perfect way to learn from the experience of others.

I'm one that believes that you get what you pay for. To prove that point, I also buy most of my hand tools from Snap-On. Anyway... looks like it'll be either a Cal-Products or Pitbull lift. Whichever one it is, once I use it I'll keep ya all informed of what I like (or dislike) about it.

:D :cool: :D

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have the same one as xxxflhrci. Used it on the sportster , Ultraclassic and Road Glide. Works damn good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts