V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Go to SAMS Club. They sell em for $99 and the work great! I have had mine for ywo years and it is perfect for my RoadKing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just purchased the sears lift.It's the best lift out there for $100. I looked at them all! It lifts with a foot pedal,has 3 locking hieghts,lowers with a different foot pedal,has rubber mounts,locking swivel casters,& comes with tie downs!It's a real heavy duty lift (1500 lbs.)

My brothers sams lifts bolts sheared right off,If you buy one or own one swap the original bolts for some grade 8 bolts better safe than sorry.
here's a link from search on sams lifts------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Warning - Sam's Club Bike Lift
From the GWRRA Message Board: Motorcycle Tech:

By Onethumb on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 08:28 am
People using this lift will want to be aware of a failure that has happened when using this lift. One of our chapter members was using his lift to change tires when it collapsed. They had just stood up from being underneath it when some bolts sheared and it dropped the bike (sans tires, bags, and other bits) straight down onto it's undercarriage. They were lucky. The bike wasn't. They are negotiating with Sam's (good to them so far) and the manufacturer (not happy campers trying to work with these folks) on getting the damage to their custom painted y2k 1500 fixed.

At a minimum, the owner is recommending everyone replace all the included bolts with some of better toughness (tensile strength). They also point out they will never again use a lift without the extra safety of stands or other supports that will hold the bike in the event of another failure.

By Bill Swift on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 09:27 am:
Which bolts sheared?

By Jerry Brown on Thursday, April 12, 2001 - 11:36 am:
I, among others, have expressed my fondness for this lift. However, I have been concerned about the bolts that secure the two locking devices. My bolts became bent when the lift bled down and the locking levers were the only thing holding the bike up. I will replace them today. Along this line, my bleed-down screw/knob has to be VERY tight or it will bleed down over a few hrs. Some times sooner!

Obviously the bolts are of soft steel. Most of us know that bolts come in several hardnesses but even knowing that is not always enough. There have been cases of bolts not hardened to the grade or degree that the bolt markings indicate. I understand bolts from China especially are to be viewed with suspicion and the hardness scale markings are not to be trusted. 20/20 or some such T V program did a report on this issue a couple yrs ago.

I am sure going to change all the bolts out on my Sam`s lift before I use it next. I`ll check to be sure but I think grade 8 bolts would be the thing to use. Ask your hardware dealer. Price alone will usually let you know which are the better quality if there is a choice of grades on one stores shelf. Wally World is not likely to satisfy your needs here.

I surely recommend the use of tie downs securing the bike to lift also. Tho it will not prevent someone from making a gross error in balancing the bike to the lift, it will stabilize the bike when even the best judgement is used. For you who may not be aware, the tension on the tie downs is going to change dramatically if you raise or lower the lift with the tie downs connected. You will have to connect them after it reaches your choice of height.

I`m sure this is old hat to most of you but I hope this may have helped some when using this lift. With some adjustments and careful use, I still look upon the lift as a good tool for my needs.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
This grade 8 bolt deal has been rehashed a bazillion times. The lift now being sold at Sams is a different one than just a few years ago. It not only collapses to a nice low 2.5 inches vs. 4.0 on the old one but also has swing out "outrigger stabilizers". I will check but my understanding is that the bolts were also upgraded.

That being said, I would have bought the Craftsman (or is it just Sears?) had I known it existed but I am very happy with the Sams lift.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's a craftsman, I'm glad sam's club resolved the bolt issue. My brother was lucky his friend was around when his bolts sheared off, not to much damage. I just wanted to share my experience so noone gets hurt.:cool:

·
Registered
684 Posts
The Sears lift sounded pretty good until I read the specs. If I read it correctly, the lift only collapses down to 5.125". The ground clearance on my FLHT is 5.1"!

MOTORPSYCHO, what are you using this on?

ATV Lift - Specs

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the reason the lift goes under your bike, A - the clearance under the bike is more that 5.1", or B - the lift is less that 5.1"?

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
My guess is that the 5.1" listed in the bike specs as ground clearance is directly under the shocks or something which is lowewr than the spot under the frame where the lift goes. I would think the lift that goes down lower is more a factor when you need to stack an adapter in there such as with the Dynas.

Also, checked my new-version Sams lift bolts and they say 10.9 on them...that seems unlikely since that is even a higher grade than 8 as i understand it....they are also chrome plated which is kinda odd. I suppose they could be fake chinese 10.9 grades. maybe I'll replace them this winter. My bike is probably a few hundred pounds lighter than those dressed out baggers that allegedly collapsed. I thought too that when that one thread first came up the guy later confessed it didn't actually happen to one of his chapter members and he wasn't so sure it really happened at all.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Well like I said, mine is about 2 and a half years old. I use it often such as when I clean the bike. No problems.

Now when I slide it under the bike, I do it from the right side and have to pull on the rear crash bar to level the bike in order to clear the left side of the frame. Other than that, it works great.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I needed a lift (no pun intended) so I went to the nearby Sears store at the mall. No good. Sold out. I had the guy call another mall that was near my house. No good. Sold out. Just about decided to go get a rain check and thought I'd call one other mall. They had two left! I didn't have time to try it out, but I did put it together (4 bolts). It looks good. I just hope I can get it under the bike! With the rubber pads, it's measuring 5.25". I'll find out tonight.

The sale on this ends tomorrow (5/17) and then the price is $120. Still not bad, but I would have gone to Sam's if not for the sale.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not on a 2002 flhrci

i tried the sears (craftsman) lift on my bike, NG. Lift to high for frame even when removing the rubber cushion and leveling the bike. will try the sams lift before trying cal-products.com.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I tried out the Sears lift last night and it worked fine. Now, a little less air in the tires and shocks . . . it would be tight!

The bike lift that I started out with several years ago was homemade. I welded some pipe together and you levered either the front or rear off the ground. It worked just fine.

Being new to this bike hydraulic lift, where do you position the tie-downs?

By they way . . . MOTORPSYCHO, thanks for the tip on the lift. (The sale ends today.)

·
Registered
985 Posts
I can attest for the Sam's lift, works well price vs value.
I have since dropped my Fatboy 1 3/4" in the rear and now the lift won't roll under the frame.I'm going to make a little ramp wedge though to roll the bike on for more clearance.
There is no problem with a stock height bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Straydog said:
I tried out the Sears lift last night and it worked fine. Now, a little less air in the tires and shocks . . . it would be tight!

The bike lift that I started out with several years ago was homemade. I welded some pipe together and you levered either the front or rear off the ground. It worked just fine.

Being new to this bike hydraulic lift, where do you position the tie-downs?

By they way . . . MOTORPSYCHO, thanks for the tip on the lift. (The sale ends today.)
There is 4 welded hoops, 2 in the front of the lift, 2 in the rear.
The tie downs included work great, I'm glad you like it. I love to work on my bike now!:cool:

·
Registered
686 Posts
lifts

I have been thinking of getting a lift, my back and knees are not what they used to be. The one at the Harley shop and at Dennis Kirk are too much around $250-300. I am not a member of Sams so I will get a Sears, although J C Whitney has one called Torin Big Red for $139 , minimun 5" high. Any thoughts? Thanks MOTORPSYCO for the pic and info (its for an FLHT) rickpoco well after reading everything I guess the sears one will not fit under my bike thanks stannen

·
Registered
684 Posts
rickpoco, I have an FLHT myself and the Sears lift works fine. However, since the sale is off, I'd suggest you follow JimmyK's lead and go to Sam's. I've also heard that COSCO has one at a similar price. These are going for about $89. The regular price at Sears is $129.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
686 Posts
lift

Straydog, I am not sure if I am replying to these the way I should be. I got a lift from sams club, I started out at 10:30 this mourning, and it is now 4:00. I got a one day pass at sams, but they dont take visa or master or a check if you are not a member so I had to go to an atm, bla, bla , bla I put it together and cleaned my spoked wheels, it worked good for that ,but it seemed to rock a little, so how many tie downs do you guys put on and where, do you use ratchet tie downs? Thanks rickpoco

·
Registered
684 Posts
Mine came with two ratchet type tie-downs. I haven't had the lift long enough to really know where to connect them on the bike for the most stability. Maybe we will hear from some of the other members on that.

G

·
I picked up the Sears lift on Friday - last day of the sale. The salesman didn't even know he had them in stock. I had to tell him that the Sears website said he did ... He finally found a stack of them up in the warehouse. Bummer because they had been telling lots of guys, 'sorry, we're out'...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts