V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Flaccid Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice now my 2006 Heritage has just died on me while riding. When I say "died" I mean it's like I hit the kill switch. The engine just absolutely cut out. Not a sputter or rough running, it just died instantly and completely.

This happened the first time back in early August. I was leaving for a week long trip and had washed the bike the night before. I was about 4 miles down the road and cruising at 55-60 mph when the bike just died. I coasted to a stop and hit the starter -- nothing, it didn't try to turn over or anything. Waiting 20 or 30 seconds and hit it again and it started right up and ran fine.

3500 miles later, last Thursday I was riding to work, about 12 miles into my trip and again cruising steady at about 50 mph when the exact same thing happened. I coasted to a stop and after about 15 seconds hit the starter and it fired right up and ran fine.

Both times the bike had been seriously wet the previous day -- back in August I had given it a real good washing and then the day before it died last week it had been raining for the entire 17 mile ride home.

Both times the bike died like a switch had been flipped. My theory is that I have water in the connection for my Power Command III. I did NOT use dielectric grease when I installed it early this spring, about 8000 miles ago. The oil pressure idiot light was on both times, so I know the battery was connected. Both times it was after the bike had been seriously wet and I had been riding a short time at speeds over 50 mph. Both times hitting the starter immediately after rolling to a stop did nothing, but waiting about 10 seconds and then it fired right up and ran fine.

I plan on pulling PCIII, lubing it up good with dielectric grease, and reconnecting it. While I have the seat off is there anything else I should look at? Any other theories?

Other than these two instances this bike has run absolutely perfectly since I bought it in July 2006. It currently has 13,500 miles on it. The only mods from stock are the PCIII, V&H Longshots, and K&N Air Cleaner.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Man That $ucks!!!

The 1st thing I would look at is my batt. cables, and don't just wiggle them and say there tight!!! Take them off clean the contact area until you see shinny metal. The reason I say this is my roadking drove me crazy for two weeks. The ground cable was tight but it was tightened too the black powder coating so it just had enough connection through the bolt to make contact when it was cold. After I would stop -nothing. GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
This also has happened to me. Going down the freeway doing 80 mph in the passing lane and the bike just shuts down, that'll make the ahole pucker. And it happened repeatedly before I finally found the problem. The problem I found was in the wiring coming from on my left side grip. One of the wires coming from the turnsignal or horn, don't really know which one it was, had gotten trapped in the grip harness and had slowly eaten away the plastic covering until the wire had become exposed and was shorting out on the handlebar. I spliced in a new peice of wire, added some shrink wrap, repositioned the wiring back into the right slot, which is designed too small, and the problem went away.

·
Flaccid Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more I have read about this problem here at VTwin the more it seems that it is both common and there can be many different causes. That's not something that makes me feel good.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Dansville Rob said:
The more I have read about this problem here at VTwin the more it seems that it is both common and there can be many different causes. That's not something that makes me feel good.
Yep, usually it happens right after someone installs a new goody. lol

Another thing to check tho is the roll over switch, those have been known to fail. Edit: Re-reading your original post I think this may be it, I believe there is a time delay in them too. Do a search on this site and you should find multiple threads about it. I call it a roll over switch but I think the official name is bank angle sensor.

·
Flaccid Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cwo2lt said:
Yep, usually it happens right after someone installs a new goody. lol

Another thing to check tho is the roll over switch, those have been known to fail. Edit: Re-reading your original post I think this may be it, I believe there is a time delay in them too. Do a search on this site and you should find multiple threads about it. I call it a roll over switch but I think the official name is bank angle sensor.
Interesting.

Thursday I pulled the seat off and greased up the plugs for the PCIII. I rode 600 miles over the weekend including a brief stint in the rain, with zero problem. I'm going to choose to believe that I fixed the problem but if it does come back then I will consider the bank angle sensor as one of the usual suspects.

And for what it's worth I got to see the Bank Angle Sensor in operation this weekend, when the guy I was riding with ("COUGH wingert COUGH") fell over while trying to ride through deep sand on a two track trail in Northern Michigan.

·
Registered
147 Posts
On my bike and a friends (although '94's FLH) the gas caps don't always vent right so the vacumn pet cock won't work, disasembling the cap and making a score mark on the cap fixed it . Don't know if the same thing goes for a FI model.
Craig

·
Gravel
23 Posts
I had this problem in Virginia (going from Houston to Gettysburg). Turned out to be slightly loose connections to the ignition switch.
Gravel

·
Flaccid Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it happened twice on the ride in to work this morning. So fast that the bike just roll started itself, but definitely a brief stall.

What this proved to me was that it definitely did not require a reset of the ignition switch, so it shouldn't be a problem with a faulty bank sensor (I believe you have to shut the ignition off and back on to reset it).

And it's not the PCIII USB since I recently pulled it and re-greased the fittings, and the bike hasn't been wet in a week.

One common thread is that all three times the weather was cold, it was the first time the bike had been started that day, and it happened within the first 10 miles of riding.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I had a similar problem this summer. Efi equiped 95cid bagger. Bike would run and would start to miss and backfire out the mufflers at first. I had to quit a club ride and limp back home and it came to a compleet stop. I came to a conclusion that the main relay next to the efi module had failed. I hotwired past it and got home. I replaced the relay and things went ok for several weeks more. My bike then would run on one cyllinder after heat soaking after a short stop. If I could keep it running to get air across the engine to cool it down it would run fine until the next time I shut it down. Trouble shooting the sensors I found that the crank position sensor had failed and was causing the problem. My bike has run great since then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts