V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1 9 h ago
Hey I'm pretty new to riding. So what do l do?4 yrs ago l went and got an 2007 night rod special... Opened a new world,and chapter in my life. I blew up the damn motor, short of going to HD directly l for the life of me CAN NOT find another one anywhere. I'm being told that the 06and the 08 's are.Not compatitve nor is any other year of that model as far as engines go. Could use a kick in the right direction.I'm kinda dense on the subject..plz help

·
Super Moderator
3,033 Posts
2 threads so far.Hopefully your problem is solved before you start a third concerning your situation. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
1130cc.com is the place to go for V-Rod problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
#1 9 h ago
Hey I'm pretty new to riding. So what do l do?4 yrs ago l went and got an 2007 night rod special... Opened a new world,and chapter in my life. I blew up the damn motor, short of going to HD directly l for the life of me CAN NOT find another one anywhere. I'm being told that the 06and the 08 's are.Not compatitve nor is any other year of that model as far as engines go. Could use a kick in the right direction.I'm kinda dense on the subject..plz help
I'm not sure why you have been told that a 2008 would not work. It has been bumped up to a 1250cc but it mounts and hooks up still with a five speed transmission. worst case you could either use your engine mounts or buy new . I am not sure about 06 but I would do my homework . If it were me I would lean toward putting in the 08 larger motor and do constant maintaining on oil and filters. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
i have limited experience with the vrods,,, i qwked what specifically failed earlier...
how did you splatter it? running wide open and over revved? hard shifts and launches and pieces went flying?
there may be some things that need changed to do the swapzz bur the engine should fit.. i would rebuild what i had if it were me,,, but the 1250 would be the better option for you i believe.

·
not sober all the time
5,577 Posts
I was wondering what failed also. Did Mr. Blues' motor scatter engine parts all over the road or something less catastrophic where the engine could be returned back to duty with a rebuild?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know where your coming from but if I had a motor like that it would be gone forever. The work it would take to order and rebuild would very costly. The removal would a must. you can not rebuild this motor in frame . So if you were to rebuild this motor I would rebuild with the 1250 upgrade in mind, depending on the internal damage to the cases and crank .

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
I don't think saying it would be gone forever or very costly to rebuild, we don't even know what's wrong with it. He might have just blown a spark plug out the hole for all we know. Or he might have ran out of oil and launched some airplane parts, we just don't know. Maybe he'll tell us someday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well if it splattered oil everywhere I believe it did not come from a blown spark plug . Just saying...don't you think he may have known the difference . Wow ...some people just have to have an opinion even if it is a stupid...

·
not sober all the time
5,577 Posts
Well if it splattered oil everywhere I believe it did not come from a blown spark plug . Just saying...don't you think he may have known the difference . Wow ...some people just have to have an opinion even if it is a stupid...
Sine the OP didn't describe the damage or his level of mechanical experience, nobody knows what is wrong with the engine. He may not know the difference between a blown engine and one that ran out of gas. He did say, "I'm kinda dense on the subject." Whatever that means.

No need to get your drawers in a wad and call other people's opinion stupid.

·
Registered
16,704 Posts
I'm glad to see lots of people getting their exercise today. Even if it's just jumping to conclusions.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,952 Posts
Did I miss a post where this "splattered oil everywhere" thing was mentioned?

Are you the guy with the blown engine?

Are you creating your own reality to suit your opinion?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts