V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I do wonder if the rider had some room to get by, hard to tell if this is two lanes or there was a curb. Looks like the cagers wheels were stopped at impact.
Was interesting to see the one person walk to where the rider was down and then started to run. Hope for the best for the poor SOB.

Sam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Amazing video. It doesn't look like the rider even tried to stop or avoid the automobile, does it!? Good air time and form on the other hand. Looks like he got a good hold on the art of avoiding slowing down too quickly due to the rapid onset of pain at that point. He wasn't slowing down at all that I could see.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Deja vu all over again

My only serious bike crash was frighteningly similar. A guy in a station wagon had just gotten off a freeway and had come to a stop at the bottom of the ramp. I saw him look to his right, then to his left (right at me). I could swear we made eye contact. Then he pulled directly into my path in a left turn. I hit him right in front wheel well without having time to brake at all. I flew over the hood and had a hard landing that broke my leg but did no other damage. Ever since, I pay close attention to left turners and never assume that they've seen me — even if it seems I've made eye contact with the driver. I hope the guy in this wreck was okay.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I could swear we made eye contact.
That has happened to me more than once. Not the wreck but making (what appeared to be ) eye contact with someone who then pulls out in front of you. Sometimes my "Spider senses" are activated to watch out for the knucklehead, other times I've just been cautious/lucky.

·
Hardass
547 Posts
I feel for the guy, but I have to say, it looks like he was both going way too fast, and not paying much attention. That car began it's turn almost a full 3 seconds before impact. Can't tell if the bike slowed down prior to impact or not, however, he was moving pretty good, so if he did brake at all, he was really haulin' ass before hand.

It's hard to feel too sorry for some of Darwin's best and closest friends. Not saying this guy is one of them for sure, but that is my initial impression, anyway, by watching the clip.

Note that my comments are by no means meant to excuse the cager who turned in front of him.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
It's hard to say from a videotape, but it looks like this one was on the biker, not the cager. The cage stopped partway through the turn -- I'd guess that he had plenty of room to make the turn if the biker was going a legal speed, but then noticed he wasn't and stopped. The biker had plenty of room to avoid, but didn't. And going way too fast. But like I said, hard to be sure from a videotape.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Be wary

I agree. It looks like he is going not a little too fast. I try to constantly scan oncoming traffic. My riding philosophy is to,

"Assume that every single driver that could come into my path is an idiot/fool who is just about to pull one of their stupid manuevers on me!"

When an uncoming car is stopped in order to make a left turn in front of me, I will make a mental note to be on the watch because this cager is likely to pull out in front of me.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
From riding along side my kids 954 Honda I can say the bikes can cover a large distance very quickly. Perhaps the bike in the video was at a "reasonble" distance prior to the driver starting the turn. Also it is a small two lane road with at least one business on it, not the place to be hauling ass. At least the rider was dressed for the occasion...

·
Still alive
546 Posts
That is why I replaced my two sealed beam driving lights with 75watt, changed to the clear lense on the headlight and upped the wattage on that also. I really want to avoid those types of situations

·
Registered
68 Posts
It looked like one of those situations where the car commits then stops half way through the turn and when you are approaching you don't know WTF they are going to do next...stop and wait or try to make it....the only thing to do at that point is stop and sort it out....

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Another troubling thing is it appears that several other cagers are just driving right on past the accident scene like nothing really happened. I wonder if other motorcyclists would just drive on by?????

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
meanbean said:
RIDE LIKE YOU ARE INVISIBLE!

An old timer gave me that advice more than 25 years ago.
That was my mantra when I first rode in the 70's and 80's, and it helped keep me alive. However, with the advent of cell phone cager a$$holes who don't signal or look out, and various other folks who seem hell-bent to minimize the two-wheel population, I have modified that maxim to:

RIDE LIKE THE BASTIDS ARE OUT TO KILL YOU!!!

I'm not implying that this was a case of attempted homicide. It does, however, clearly demonstrate that one must never let one's guard down. Never.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Actually it looks like the car started to slow on the turn but never stop, the biker had some shoulder to get on, but he was moving at a good clip and probably just had a few seconds at most to make a decision.

In any case, does anybody know what the follow-up to that story was? Did he make it?

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
My first impression was "Wow was he movin!" I don't know what the road called for as far as speed goes but I'll bet it wasn't that. Sucks all the way around. I'm sure that was hard on everyone involved. The cager, rider and families. It's sad...

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Lardog said:
I feel for the guy, but I have to say, it looks like he was both going way too fast, and not paying much attention. That car began it's turn almost a full 3 seconds before impact. Can't tell if the bike slowed down prior to impact or not, however, he was moving pretty good, so if he did brake at all, he was really haulin' ass before hand.
That's pretty much my evaluation of the tape anyway, as well. And I'm prone to be biased for the rider.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
arjay said:
...Good air time and form on the other hand...
:duh?:

I agree with what most have said, I too beleive the bike was going a little fast.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It would be hard yo determine how fast the rider was going. he was going from left to right video was taken from a stationary camera. even 45 would seem same fast. wouldn't you agree? what was the posted speed limit in that area? I'd say atleast 35 or faster. Next the car was automaticly at fault. as it should be. car crossed the path of a bike. Hope he got lots of money from the non paying attention drivers ins. Better yet I hope he had great insurance. MOST autos just carry the MINIUM coverage it is our responsiblity to make sure our A$$ is covered. My crash the guy was driving his girlfriends truck w no ins. went back on his only got 16,000 and dr bills paid. if she had been covered it would have been min 36,000, If I had been properly covered more like 136,000. I hope this has been a good lesson for all who take the time to read it. GET THE BEST YOU CAN!!! you'll be glad you did.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts