V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has expressed interest of getting her own bike sometime next year and needless to say that was a pretty exciting proposition there is only 1 issue. She is short as in 5 feet tall short and not necessarily the strongest person out there. Would anybody have any recomendations for what bikes to look at. I know the Honda Rebel is a nice small/light bike and in my area they can be had for rather cheap. Just looking for some opinions or first hand experience

·
Registered
789 Posts
Assuming this would be her first bike, the Honda Rebel is a great street bike foe a bigginer. When the time comes that she wants a Harley, some of my suggestions would be the Sportster low, Deluxe, Fat Boy Lo and the new Switchback. All have nice low seatheights.

When it gets to be time to get rid of the Honda Rebel, you should have no problem because it's a pretty popular little bike for beginners.

Good luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i really am leaning towards the honda for many reasons. I think she will enjoy riding but I doubt she will do much more then a 250 mile day. Also shes not super strong so I like the weight of the rebel more for her. She will be someone who needs to build confidence before moving to a bigger bike

·
blipper
5,199 Posts
Yeah i really am leaning towards the honda for many reasons. I think she will enjoy riding but I doubt she will do much more then a 250 mile day. Also shes not super strong so I like the weight of the rebel more for her. She will be someone who needs to build confidence before moving to a bigger bike
That's sound thinking right there. Not to rush her into any motorcycle that might be intimidating or maybe even lethal is the right thing to do.

Question before going too far down the road...has she taken a basic rider's course? Better to know what she's getting herself into than to spend money and find out it's not up her alley, so to speak.

Knowing that Mrs. Scrubs would like to ride her own 2 wheels, but lacks confidence and mental fortitude, has put me on the cautionary side of buying another bike unless it is meant for the both of us.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can't agree more on taking the msf course before buying her a bike. I also recommed a refresher course the following year but on her own bike.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I can't agree more on taking the msf course before buying her a bike. I also recommed a refresher course the following year but on her own bike.
I totally @gree:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Motorcycle Safety Course, then if she still wants her own bike, buy her a 650 Suzuki Savage (the newer version is the Suzuki Boulevard S40). Belt drive, lots of torque, one cylinder, looks like a mini Sportster and will run 80 mph. Just Sayin....

Manufacturer: Engine (CC); Weight (lbs.); Seat Height (inches)
Honda - Rebel; 234; 331; 26.6
Suzuki - S40; 652; 381; 27.6

Have her sit on both of them, before she decides. Both can be picked up used for a moderate price. Most people do not ride the Rebel long, due to the limited engine size. I hope that she enjoys her new motorcycle experience. Good Luck! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts