V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok; Here's the deal: '07 RoadKing Classic,12K miles. Screaming Eagle slip ons, A/C, Race tuned with SE Pro Supertuner, SE 254e cams,SE comp. Has started & run perfectly for the last 10 years; never a glitch. Today started bike cold & idling in the driveway while I helmeted up. After running about 30 seconds, it suddenly died, which might not have been too unusual; it was the WAY it died...stopped suddenly like the engine locked up; didn't sound like a normal stall or shutdown. No noise. I have had carb bikes do this, but never an EFI bike & never this bike. I was afraid to start it again, but it started right up & ran perfectly for the rest of the afternoon, including a couple more starts & warmups. In fact, it almost seemed to run TOO good, smooth & quiet. I'm thinking maybe a hiccup or glitch momentarily in the EFI or something,maybe a drop of moisture in the fuel and that's why the sudden stop. Any body got any clues? Once again, it was the WAY it stopped, like my '71 Sporty stopped idling when I seized the motor back in the day.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Had an 05 RK that did that a few times, then it started faltering while riding. Took forever to diagnose it, cause it came and went, but it ended up being a bad voltage regulator

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,827 Posts
If the lights went out when it died, I'd probably have a look at the contact side of the ignition switch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope; didn't throw any codes. Couldn't tell if the lights went out because it was sunny out, but I think I remember seeing the neutral light on all the while. Not sure how to check for codes, but speedo read normal. I kinda thought ignition switch too, but then it would die like you shut it off. This was more "abrupt" or "sudden".

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nope; didn't throw any codes. Couldn't tell if the lights went out because it was sunny out, but I think I remember seeing the neutral light on all the while. Not sure how to check for codes, but speedo read normal. I kinda thought ignition switch too, but then it would die like you shut it off. This was more "abrupt" or "sudden".
My bet is the kill switch on the bars. I have seen several go bad, and have intermittent shut downs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is weird. It has not done it again, but ever since this happened,bike seems to run smoother, quicker, & engine is noticeably quieter. Oh well...guess it's OK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts