V-Twin Forum banner

441 - 453 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought a forever plate for $75 that doesn't get a new registration or taxes paid every year. I move the plate from the boat, open, enclosed and bike trailers. You don't need trailer lights in NC if you can see the vehicle lights that pull it. I always have lights as I don't like accidents.
Yes, the forever plate has paid off for me! Owned it 8 years now. No yearly registration but NC sends me a property tax bill every year, usually only 3 bucks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have driven over the back of the Dragon, but never done it on a bike...it was in November and near the top the roads were pretty icy. It was pretty tricky in a car with summer tires so definitely a summer ride! Anyone know of any good motorcycle camping spots near the Dragon?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wish Indiana had a forever plate. Motor vehicle rules here are pretty awful... worse if you own an ATV and want to ride trails...not that there are many in Indiana..lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking to get into motocamping this year. I live camping and I love my motorcycle, what could be better! 🤷🏼‍♀️

·
Registered
2013 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
18 Posts
Nice to see and read this Topic, Motorcycle camping packing can get tricky.
We did not have any Camp photos, sorry but we didn't think of camp photos
It was the Three amigos ten days at Sturgis,two Heritages,one Dyna
The first time I overloaded my 06 Heritage, I don't mean it it was hard to handle, it handled Great, I just turned the Shocks up 1/2 turn, it was the Power loss, i had installed a Baker 6 speed in the 88 Softail.
Even with the vance and Hines big shot longs, Arlen Ness air cleaner, with power Commander download.
The little old 88 was underpowered in 6 gear cruising up a grade.
We went 3500 miles 1/2 camping 1/2 hotels ,KOA were great. We ate at restaurants, I think two nights we cooked hot dogs and warmed up beans, lots of Beer and Tequila.
We had more room for stuff cause the wifes Stayed home, so there was no extra stops.
This year we plan to Camp most of the Nights,
So I will have lots of power and space to pack more for camping, even a grill to put on a fire and cook some steaks, corn on the cob, French bread, bacon and eggs, you know the deluxe camping.
I will have two Ice chest bungyed to the passenger foot boards.
My son and I are planning a 2500 mile road trip from Northern Californy up to Montana Visit family and Check out The high country near Glacier national park , unfortunately then east gates of the park Are closed. The Blackfeet Indians do not want pale face Sickness.
So we will head north west to to Sandpoint ID, and follow the Columbia River west to the ocean, and follow the cost south to Fort Bragg, then home near lake Tahoe.
Take Care, Ride Safe, Be Safe, PJ
These photos were Whitewood north of Sturgis about 10 miles north at the Iron Horse Inn, Nice place, No crowds
I found one camping photo from the road trip, Plymouth Campground on the Columbia river Washington state. sleeping next to my heritage and My son in his orange Tent.
Sturgis 2013 045.jpg
sturgis2.jpg
sturgis1.jpg
sturgis.jpg

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
You carry too much stuff I like the ice coolers on the floorboards and would like a better picture of those. I bet you carry a lot of clothes. Back in the day I had a backpack on a frame strapped to the sissy bar sleeping bag on the passenger seat with tent on the rack and that's it. I carried 1 pair of jeans and a cutoff pair and about 5 shirts rolled my clothes up saved space. I could wash a few things in the creek what wasn't dry in the morning would be bungeed to the pack. Sometimes I would have 2 pair of jockeys flapping in the wind. A one burner gas stove that can be filled from the bike with a little ingenuity with a cook kit. Don't forget a can opener. I had a GI opener on my key ring. Anything to save space and weight. I also had a 9" filet knife on my belt, illegal yes, but I went everywhere with it no one said anything.

Forget freeze dried food the package it came in tastes better. Meat bought cold will stay good wrapped in a couple plastic shopping bags. I only cooked dinner ate a lot of steaks and pork chops. A piece of tin foil on the grill works fine no washing pots and pans if you can avoid it. Empty your saddlebags and ride outside the park gates for firewood. I had a rope to tow big pieces.

These days you can't camp for free. Too many nuts out there to feel safe. I don't worry much about it as I have a CC permit. Stop at a gas station and ask a construction worker where a cheap motel is located.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
You carry too much stuff I like the ice coolers on the floorboards and would like a better picture of those. I bet you carry a lot of clothes. Back in the day I had a backpack on a frame strapped to the sissy bar sleeping bag on the passenger seat with tent on the rack and that's it. I carried 1 pair of jeans and a cutoff pair and about 5 shirts rolled my clothes up saved space. I could wash a few things in the creek what wasn't dry in the morning would be bungeed to the pack. Sometimes I would have 2 pair of jockeys flapping in the wind. A one burner gas stove that can be filled from the bike with a little ingenuity with a cook kit. Don't forget a can opener. I had a GI opener on my key ring. Anything to save space and weight. I also had a 9" filet knife on my belt, illegal yes, but I went everywhere with it no one said anything.

Forget freeze dried food the package it came in tastes better. Meat bought cold will stay good wrapped in a couple plastic shopping bags. I only cooked dinner ate a lot of steaks and pork chops. A piece of tin foil on the grill works fine no washing pots and pans if you can avoid it. Empty your saddlebags and ride outside the park gates for firewood. I had a rope to tow big pieces.
I plan on installing the same two ice chest to the Passenger foot board on my 2013 Ultra also for our next road trip in August.

These days you can't camp for free. Too many nuts out there to feel safe. I don't worry much about it as I have a CC permit. Stop at a gas station and ask a construction worker where a cheap motel is located.

That was our first motorcycle camp out, it was for 10-14 days, hell i only Brought two pairs of pants, one shorts, a couple shirts, 5 undies, 5 pair shocks, and my hat. Most of the stuff was Camp Gear, the two ice chest was very nice to have, beer in one and Water, food in the other.
Following the the columbia river on the Washington Side was awesome, With that head wind from the ocean it was nice to ride from hwy 82 to hwy 14 to plymouth to camp along the river.
To reply about Fee camping, hell if the damn protesters can camp in Seattle downtown we should be able to camp where ever we want also. for safety just keep the 44 handy.
I plan on installing the same tow Ice chest on my 13 ultra also for the next road trip in August
icechest.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well it's the weekend before our 2020 Bike 14 day Campout, to californy, nevada, idaho,montana,washington,oregon and back to californy. The camp gear is so much easier to pack on the Utlra, than the Heritage. The drinking water was the heaviest.
This bike campout we will have photos, Camp ares should be Rome Oregon, Salmon River O'Brien Campground, Hamilton, Montana, Glacier national park (west), Trout Creek on the Clark Fork River,Montana , Sandpoint ,Idaho area, somewhere on hwy 97 Oregon, Crater Lake, Frencman Lake , north Californy. some places will be a couple nights same place. Missoula and Idaho We're going shooting somewhere anywhere. Got to test out the new .45.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
Well it's the weekend before our 2020 Bike 14 day Campout, to californy, nevada, idaho,montana,washington,oregon and back to californy. The camp gear is so much easier to pack on the Utlra, than the Heritage. The drinking water was the heaviest.
This bike campout we will have photos, Camp ares should be Rome Oregon, Salmon River O'Brien Campground, Hamilton, Montana, Glacier national park (west), Trout Creek on the Clark Fork River,Montana , Sandpoint ,Idaho area, somewhere on hwy 97 Oregon, Crater Lake, Frencman Lake , north Californy. some places will be a couple nights same place. Missoula and Idaho We're going shooting somewhere anywhere. Got to test out the new .45.
You can't have enough pictures for me.lol I won't be out that way again, but a picture brings memories flooding back like when I camped in the loblollies next to a railroad track in Bracie, VA. Nothing like waking to a train whistle at 4am. Well ride safe and try to do everything I wouldn't do.

441 - 453 of 453 Posts