V-Twin Forum banner

421 - 440 of 445 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Two weeks ago I headed out for a 5 day camping trip. Tenting is great as long as the weather cooperates..

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
American Legion in Fortville, Indiana has about 40acres just outside of town that they rent and they have prices for members and non members. I think it is about $10 a night for members. They have restrooms with showers and limited electric for extra $.
Wow Tim H! I used to live about a mile away from Ingalls!! Never thought I would bump into a neighbor in here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It has been years since I camped out on the bike but lately I've been thinking about doing it again. Have been poking around looking at different setups. Looks like it's time for some new gear!

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Well winter is here with plenty of time til spring. I envy your search. I had a nylon 2 man pup tent that slept 3 if they was good friends. Plenty of room for one.

First trip I bought longer tent pegs and a boy scout cook kit. There are better kits out there today. A length of anchor rope will be handy. I used to go out the state park entrance for fire wood. Stuff my saddlebags, bungee wood to the rack and pull the big pieces with the rope.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Ok, a shameless bump! Here's my Ultra and trailer setup for my upcoming Daytona BW trip in about a month. I plan on camping inside the speedway in the Geico camp area.
Can you show some close shots of the hitch and trailer setup. Is that a HF trailer? Does it have a license plate?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trailer

Anyone tow a trailer with there bike when camping ? I was thinking about buying one but I was told Harley's trans don't hold up . I was hoping I could find someone that has been towing for awhile to tell me this is not true. I have a 2017 Ultra Limited , I towed a trailer about 30 years ago and never had any trouble. I would think with all the Technology they have on the bikes today that wouldn't be a problem. I took off last fall to Rosewell New Mexico from central IL I could have really used a trailer lol. Any input would be great thanks the new guy on the forum lol.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Trailer

Anyone tow a trailer with there bike when camping ? I was thinking about buying one but I was told Harley's trans don't hold up . I was hoping I could find someone that has been towing for awhile to tell me this is not true. I have a 2017 Ultra Limited , I towed a trailer about 30 years ago and never had any trouble. I would think with all the Technology they have on the bikes today that wouldn't be a problem. I took off last fall to Rosewell New Mexico from central IL I could have really used a trailer lol. Any input would be great thanks the new guy on the forum lol.
--Really who told you Harley's do not hold up. the motorcycles are built with much heavier steel than the imports. the frames are designed to be ridged and endure most any thing. the ergonomics of the ride is so the rider and passenger not be fatigued. You own a 17 ultra that has the m8? that engine is a beast. just let it warm up. it will tow your boat.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Can you show some close shots of the hitch and trailer setup. Is that a HF trailer? Does it have a license plate?
I don't know why I took so long to respond. But here's more pics. Yes, this is a HF trailer. I attached 3/4 inch plywood. Then a car top carrier. Used LED light setup to reduce electrical load on bike. NC requires a plate on trailers.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
About 7 years ago, I spent 4 months motorcycling around the American west on a KLR650. Camped 90% of the time. Did it with cheap fabric saddlebags, a cheap top box, and my Army issued camelbak strapped to the tank as a tank bag. Learned a lot about motorcycle camping. I guess I can share...

1. A rear-loaded dirtbike lends itself to rear braking when coming down out of the mountains at speed because rear dive is more manageable than front dive when cornering. However, the KLR650 has a wonderful little quirk that the rear brakes boil rather easily and suddenly disappear. (The first time this happened, I was leaned over in a curve on a mountainside doing about 80 MPH. That was kinda scary the first time, but I eventually came to expect it, and even was able to predict pretty well when it would happen.)

2. Long grey stretches of what looks like road which go off of and up from the main road when going down mountains are not roads to photographic opportunities, they are runaway truck ramps with 6" of gravel to help bleed the truck's momentum. Hitting them at 70 MPH is a surefire way to wake yourself up.

3. Eggs will keep unrefrigerated, strapped to your saddlebags, in direct sun, for at least 7 days.

4. Jumping a fully loaded KLR650 on a stock rear shock with a 255 lb rider will 100% bottom the **** out of that shock, and it will go completely out soon thereafter.

5. Bouncing down the highway on a fully loaded KLR with no rear shock is not fun.

6. A fully loaded KLR on a stock rear shock sits lower than normal, and sits nearly upright on its kickstand. If you park it on a hill with the kickstand on the uphill side for a photograph, the bike will tip over and barrel roll down said hill.

7. There is nothing like laying in a hammock after a long day of riding.

8. Ramen noodles are cheap and ubiquitous, and can easily be made to taste good. Two packs of creamy chicken Ramen + a slice or two of american cheese + two eggs + the ramen seasoning and a dash of cayenne is tasty, filling, and cheap.

9. If your bike suddenly feels like it's losing power, it may be because your wheel bearing is going out. If you keep riding like that, eventually your swingarm will melt and your chain will pop off. This will of course occur in the middle of the south Texas desert on a hot summer day.

I'm sure I could think of a dozen more, but I'll leave off here...

·
Registered
560 Posts
All
About 7 years ago, I spent 4 months motorcycling around the American west on a KLR650. Camped 90% of the time. Did it with cheap fabric saddlebags, a cheap top box, and my Army issued camelbak strapped to the tank as a tank bag. Learned a lot about motorcycle camping. I guess I can share...

1. A rear-loaded dirtbike lends itself to rear braking when coming down out of the mountains at speed because rear dive is more manageable than front dive when cornering. However, the KLR650 has a wonderful little quirk that the rear brakes boil rather easily and suddenly disappear. (The first time this happened, I was leaned over in a curve on a mountainside doing about 80 MPH. That was kinda scary the first time, but I eventually came to expect it, and even was able to predict pretty well when it would happen.)

2. Long grey stretches of what looks like road which go off of and up from the main road when going down mountains are not roads to photographic opportunities, they are runaway truck ramps with 6" of gravel to help bleed the truck's momentum. Hitting them at 70 MPH is a surefire way to wake yourself up.

3. Eggs will keep unrefrigerated, strapped to your saddlebags, in direct sun, for at least 7 days.

4. Jumping a fully loaded KLR650 on a stock rear shock with a 255 lb rider will 100% bottom the **** out of that shock, and it will go completely out soon thereafter.

5. Bouncing down the highway on a fully loaded KLR with no rear shock is not fun.

6. A fully loaded KLR on a stock rear shock sits lower than normal, and sits nearly upright on its kickstand. If you park it on a hill with the kickstand on the uphill side for a photograph, the bike will tip over and barrel roll down said hill.

7. There is nothing like laying in a hammock after a long day of riding.

8. Ramen noodles are cheap and ubiquitous, and can easily be made to taste good. Two packs of creamy chicken Ramen + a slice or two of american cheese + two eggs + the ramen seasoning and a dash of cayenne is tasty, filling, and cheap.

9. If your bike suddenly feels like it's losing power, it may be because your wheel bearing is going out. If you keep riding like that, eventually your swingarm will melt and your chain will pop off. This will of course occur in the middle of the south Texas desert on a hot summer day.

I'm sure I could think of a dozen more, but I'll leave off here...

Sorry but I'm not trusting you on number 3.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Just got back from a 5 night tour of the St Lawrence out around the Gaspe Peninsula. Perfect weather, plenty of seafood. Lot's of great scenery. Wish I could have toured a few more days but life got in the way..

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Just got back from a 5 night tour of the St Lawrence out around the Gaspe Peninsula. Perfect weather, plenty of seafood. Lot's of great scenery. Wish I could have toured a few more days but life got in the way..
Do you have a pic of your camp set up?

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I don't know why I took so long to respond. But here's more pics. Yes, this is a HF trailer. I attached 3/4 inch plywood. Then a car top carrier. Used LED light setup to reduce electrical load on bike. NC requires a plate on trailers.
The only time I bought a plate for my trailers is when I started going out of state with them. I bought a forever plate for $75 that doesn't get a new registration or taxes paid every year. I move the plate from the boat, open, enclosed and bike trailers. You don't need trailer lights in NC if you can see the vehicle lights that pull it. I always have lights as I don't like accidents.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The only time I bought a plate for my trailers is when I started going out of state with them. I bought a forever plate for $75 that doesn't get a new registration or taxes paid every year. I move the plate from the boat, open, enclosed and bike trailers. You don't need trailer lights in NC if you can see the vehicle lights that pull it. I always have lights as I don't like accidents.

My friend just moved to NC and I am looking forward to visiting and hitting the dragon. I have never heard of a forever plate. sounds cool.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
My friend just moved to NC and I am looking forward to visiting and hitting the dragon. I have never heard of a forever plate. sounds cool.
The roads to the Dragon are more fun as the speed limit is higher like on the Snake. Take 19 out of Cherokee past Fontana dam to 64 E to Brevard. A dangerous road until near Brevard where the rich live. DOT straightened some parts and put up guard rails. The guard rails in the gorge consist of granite paving blocks on the edge of the curve and convex mirrors on a pole to see oncoming traffic. Watch for squirrels as they are more dangerous than bears.lol.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Wish they would have those here. I'm always forgetting to register my trailers..

421 - 440 of 445 Posts