V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 453 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how about a thread for those of us that like to camp off of our bikes. would be nice to exchange ideas on that kinda stuff with others that do the same

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'd like to see this too. Now that I have a touring bike I plan on taking more extended trips this summer and camp to save money rather than stay in hotels. Curious to hear about people's gear, where they like to stay, tips, experiences, etc.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Suggestions:
Keep the weight low. Tee Bags are nice but they carry the weight way to high.

Use only water proof bags to keep you stuff in.

Buy light weight back camping stuff. Stove, single mantle lantern, nesting pots, and a light weight Gerber Axe. It's expensive but it will pack small and light.

Get two light weight sleeping bags. I use 2 40 deg down bags. They work well in the heat as well as down to the 30s. Use a self inflating sleeping pad. They insulate well from the cold ground and do a pretty good job of keeping your backside off the ground.

Helen 2 Wheels makes some good water proof bags as well as a good set of straps to tie it all down.

Pack an extra stuff sack to use for your pillow.

Go to your local sporting goods store and get a tent that suites you. Remember if it's raining all your stuff will be in there with you AND you have to get dressed and pack in the tent if it is raining. I've gone through 4 tents and finally have two that I sue depending on the expected weather. (REI Camp Dome for nice weather and a Sierra Designs Orion for the cold/wind/rain possibilities)

Buy the "high performance" type of underwear. It washes easily under any faucet and drys quickly. Get a mesh bag to top load to dry.

If you want to do a LOT of camp cooking get yourself a Collapsible Ice Chest and buy your food for the night at the last stop before setting up camp.

I've been refining my camping set up for MANY years. I do motels every couple of days and camp the rest of the time unless you find campgrounds with showers it's make a motel every couple days a necessity.

That's the Sierra Designs in the backgrond. This was my KTM. The red case on the seat holds my stove and my lantern. The bags on that bike hold just a little more than a Harley Bagger.

And last but not least, get a comfortable chair. Most any of the cheap Box Store packables will work. Makes drinking around the campfire much more enjoyable.

And last, pay attention to what you use and don't use. Don't pack the stuff you don't use on the next trip!

·
IronButt
510 Posts
I like this idea. Keep bringin' it on with your experience and ideas. I did a lot of bike camping way back in the day but that's been a long time ago and I'd like to hear what's out there now in more modern gear and tips.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i think this would be a great forum to get up and running...where would they put it? i carry clothes that i should have tossed during the year and throw them as i go thru them. i have a coleman 3 season tent that is a little large when packed it's about 7.5" around and 23" long when packed and i know there are lighter ones but as greg said if it rains everything is in there with you and you still have to get dressed..single burner exponet stove and a small led tent light that works well outside. everything else goes in the saddle bags and i have a duffle that either fits in the passnger seat or the rear fender. i use an extra heavy duty construction 30 gallon trash bag to put everything in inside the duffle. jacket is waterproof and have gortex rain pants if needed. have waterproof hugger gauntlet gloves and carry some liners if needed..cell phone is pregprgrammed with all the harley dealers along my route along with my ICE numbers. also waterproof rocky side zip boots without insulation...that my story and im sticking to it...i also try to keep everything as low as possible...bike just handles better
:whistle:
patrick

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it would just be nice to talk to outher about the campgrounds they have stayed at, or may be the weard spots they just set up camp on the road side.. the gear others use, and some tips and tricks of the trade....i know a lot of peolpe do this sort of thing almost every trip i take on my bike i seem to pass some one else with all his gear strapped to the back of his bike heading some wear

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Another topic that fits in General Talk. It's easy enough to start a thread about camping.
Thank you for the suggestion, though. Input is always welcomed, even if suggestions aren't always put into play.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
2,040 Posts
If we get enough interest, can we get consideration for a sticky in the General section ??

·
Registered
838 Posts
After reading up on this on some of the other bike and camping forums I am looking at buying a Wind Ridge tent from Eldorado Camping. It is also known as the 3 second tent or instant tent. I have a really nice hiker's tent from REI but it doesn't set up quickly and doesn't have a whole lot of room inside for anything else but my sleeping bag. Not even room for my muddy boots!

A couple of things I didn't think about until reading from others. Get a tent which is large enough to hold you, your air mattress, boots, and some of your gear. Get a tent which sets up quickly. I have never had to set up a tent in the rain after riding a bike all day, but as I reflected on setting up my REI tent in a torrential down pour it didn't give me warm happy thoughts.

I'm going to give the Wind Ridge a try ($169 on line or $99 through Amazon). Watched some videos and it truly sets up in a few seconds. Packs down to a roll 7" in diameter and 31" long. A little on the long side, but it will still fit on my luggage rack.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my tent is probley on of the cheapest tents u can find, at only 36 dollors from bass pro.. its there hiker hent, it isnt very big and u really cant fit any thing in it besides ur self..im really looking forward to the oragon bed roll to come out on the market, if its as good as they clame it will be a nice pice of gear to have, i curenlt use a home made bed roll i construrted from a couple old blankets, and a camo tarp...im currently in the prosses of preparing for a one mounth trip to alaska in july so im really taking a good look at my gear to see what i can make lighter or what needs to be improved

·
Registered
838 Posts
That Oregon Bedroll does look like a nice product. Pretty expensive though, but hopefully the craftsmanship is top notch (even if they are made in a prison).

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Perfect timing on this post. I'm spending 2010 riding the lower 48 and Alaska the budget will require some camping. First question, I'm looking for a very portable light I can carry that will give enough light for reading at night, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well we didn't get our ow tread but at least we got a sticky

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
like this stickey
Gerg knows his stuff.
I use a small lightweight COMPACT (4x12 roll) tent. I don't need to stand up to get dressed, and I can keep everything in the vestibule.
It and everything else is small and compact.
not to pick nits, but Plongson, it looks like you have tent, bag and mat on the seat with large Tbags on the tail. Your ride might improve if you moved the heavier tbags to the seat and the lighter stuff to the back. Don't know how much those bags weigh, but they look heavy. Heaviest stuff low and forward, the lightest stuff high and back. Even at that ideally you don't want anything above your shoulders.
IMO

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
2,040 Posts
Thanks for the Sticky !!!

I don't have much to contribute, but this year promises to provide a lot of sleepy time in the great outdoors, so I'm hoping to learn an awful lot in a short amount of time.

1 - 20 of 453 Posts