V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone just wanted to find out what the biggest cubic inch bore I could go without boring my twin cam cases. I keep getting pushed towards these damn SE 103 stage 4 kits around here, but it isnt that I'm bashing SE stuff, it is basically how HD wants 3600 for it and the install (although they are swapping auto compression releases for manual, which I like) and then a indy here wants 3000 for it and the install, but thats not really counting his dyno tuning.. I know some things are expensive but jeez swapping cylinders, installing cams, slapping some heads on.... weird.. ill love to hear your suggestions...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, I am very tempted to pick up a good service manual and maybe delve into this myself.. I would have to get it tuned by someone else though. I would also have to buy a good tuner. I have rebuilt small block pushrod style v8's.. Im sure I would be able to get this v twin as well... Does anyone know what is the best service manual and where to buy a good copy cheap maybe? I am trying my best to get a good 100hp or better and 100 ft lbs tq as well, I am sure that should be easy to get seeing as I'm wanting to upgrade cams, heads, pistons, cylinders, and lifters ie everything but crank and crankcase..

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
I am trying my best to get a good 100hp or better and 100 ft lbs tq as well, I am sure that should be easy to get seeing as I'm wanting to upgrade cams, heads, pistons, cylinders, and lifters ie everything but crank and crankcase..
You can get 100/100 or better with 95ci if you have the right combination of parts.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
Does anyone know what is the best service manual and where to buy a good copy cheap maybe?
Harleys manual is great. You're worried about cheap? Not that I'm into wasting money, but Harley is not the "Cheap" route. IMO

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Its in the head

If you can get the knowledge in hour head first, the doing goes better. Although you will have to consider owning the tools for that job, if you don't already have them. Read on here some guy replaced his entire engine having never done it before with just garage tools and a compressor. It was neat cause he took pictures of the job. The guys on his site are friends and experts in motoring the HD engine. So ask away and if you run into any problems they will chime in. You can start a thread like saying "Im building a 106" where do I start"? Take photos. :coffee:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I believe its 107 inches too but S&S recommends no larger than 106 for a safety margin. -Tutt

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
107, look at gmr performance website, then call Steve. He can hook you up with everything you need for way cheaper than any other HD shop. Get a manual and do it your self. Also, check out big boyz website for their calculator. You have a 4 3/8 flywheel and you can bore your stock cylinders to 3.938, that will give you 107 ci.

·
Registered
134 Posts
106/107 is as big as you can go. And a jug swap really isn't that difficult. As far as parts and a tuner Jamie at fuel MOTO is unbeatable with his parts and service. He will send a tuner with a base map for your parts,go with the auto-tune. Let it "learn" and adjust itself and you just have to ride. It will save the cost of a dyno tune.
Fuel moto.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well let me rephrase my 100hp/100tq req. I am looking to go big as possible without boring cases. I lean more towards torque in 2500 - 4500 rpm range. All the while I occasionally probably more than everyone else stretch her legs out a bit. I have yet to hit the rev limiter on this thing, but I say I have been close to it within 500 rpms or so. I'm just looking for someones cheapest kit to get the best for my buck ya know.. Damn, stealerships are expensive..

Oh and by the way, I know a harley service manual isnt cheap per say but cant knock a guy for looking for the cheapest place to buy it.. I appreciate all your guys kinds words and really great suggestions. I'm so scared to pull the trigger on a build without more and more, and then a lil bit more research.. I am tighter than bark on a tree when it comes to money.. I'm tryin to get a nice build that will put all these stage 4 SE 103 kits to shame.. I know then they will all be jealous here asking me what I did and where it came from...
Thanks again everyone, by the way happy veterans day to all my brothers in arms.

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
well let me rephrase my 100hp/100tq req. I am looking to go big as possible without boring cases. I lean more towards torque in 2500 - 4500 rpm range. All the while I occasionally probably more than everyone else stretch her legs out a bit. I have yet to hit the rev limiter on this thing, but I say I have been close to it within 500 rpms or so. I'm just looking for someones cheapest kit to get the best for my buck ya know.. Damn, stealerships are expensive..

Oh and by the way, I know a harley service manual isnt cheap per say but cant knock a guy for looking for the cheapest place to buy it.. I appreciate all your guys kinds words and really great suggestions. I'm so scared to pull the trigger on a build without more and more, and then a lil bit more research.. I am tighter than bark on a tree when it comes to money.. I'm tryin to get a nice build that will put all these stage 4 SE 103 kits to shame.. I know then they will all be jealous here asking me what I did and where it came from...
Thanks again everyone, by the way happy veterans day to all my brothers in arms.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not getting a warm fuzzy about this whole thing.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
It might be because you want a stageIV bike,a cheap build and you haven't hit your rev limiter yet.Not harpin on you,just would like you to do more reading before you go down a road to your build that you won't easily be able to come back from.
If you stretch her legs more than most and haven't hit the rev limiter yet,you might want a kit that is on the somewhat conservative side.

·
Registered
54 Posts
@gree:mad:gree:mad:gree:mad:gree:mad:gree:

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Steve, one more thing to budget for is clutch, tire and belt. Once I started making over 100 ft lbs my tire would not hold for sh*t, then the clutch started slipping, and then I broke the belt, all in that order. I changed over to a chain final drive and switch the ratio from 3:15 to 3:31;noticed a big difference there. It packs the front tire all the way threw 1st and half way threw second. Just remember to budget for the "extras"

Fyi, my bike see's 6200 rpm everyday, why not?? I built it to run.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am tighter than bark on a tree when it comes to money.. I'm tryin to get a nice build that will put all these stage 4 SE 103 kits to shame.. I know then they will all be jealous here asking me what I did and where it came from...
dude, if it were that simple, that's what everybody would be running, and the moco wouldn't be selling any stage III and IV kits. There isn't any secret low bucks/big horsepower build.

You want fast and cheap. The two are mutually exclusive.

Best bang for the buck would be to swap in a set of SE204 or SE255 cams and tune it. If you do it yourself, you can manage the cam swap for about 300 bucks, give or take. Then a bit more for a tune, depending on which tuning device you have on your bike. That will get you a nice 90/100 build (with the 204s) or a 85/100 build with the 255s. Good street manners, enough power to keep yourself ahead of all the stage I bikes, and seriously bucks down.

You want to mix it up with the stage IV builds or the CVO 110 bikes, you're going to have to pry some $$$ out of your wallet.

Come up with a budget, and the pros will be able to advise you on how to spend it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The reason im not too hard on this bike is simply, I paid too much for it and all the gixxer 1000's and crotch rockets i use to own was what i really drove the hell out of.. I have done countless top speed runs on my crotch rockets i used to have in excess of 180 mph. The crotch rockets i used to have arent worth ****, unless u wanna ride it, spend money on it and sell it for nothing.. Plus i hate *** ****.. The real reason i dont ride like a bat out of hell on my harley is i actually care and plan on never lettin it go.. Ive rode motocross as well on two strokes when they were big.. All the bikes i had were like disposable razors, but this harley i treat like a new gillette fusion power razor. This harley is not disposable like all the other *** **** ive had.. I just take care of her, u all blame me?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts