V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know if the Big Sucker Stage 2 air filter set up is better than the SE. Who moves the most air or the better for HP gain? Thanks Double Pipes:cheers:

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
I think they'll pretty much be a wash until you get over 100HP, then the BS Stage 2 may flow more. The Stage 2 is taller and may interfere with your right leg.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
The bike is only going to suck in as much as it needs. So the difference is going to be negligable until you get into the higher hp's. Good luck...

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
the filter element in the Big Sucker is better than the SE. The other posts are correct, only if you're running a fire breathing monster, do you really need to step up the Stage 2 (unless you like the look of a large filter).

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Think about it as a air pump. It will take what it needs, now with that in mind you may get some gains if the unit you have is not large enough I have seen with a larger unit and using time as a axis selection on the dyno graph that it is slightly less. Meaning that the engine was able to inhale more air faster. Did not change the numbers just made the tq/hp faster. And we where at the 100/100 mark so it was at the end of limitations of the SE filter element. I like to use the SE backing plate and a K&N 325dfm unit. It works well does not stick out too far and provides great flow

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
Think about it as a air pump. It will take what it needs, now with that in mind you may get some gains if the unit you have is not large enough I have seen with a larger unit and using time as a axis selection on the dyno graph that it is slightly less. Meaning that the engine was able to inhale more air faster. Did not change the numbers just made the tq/hp faster. And we where at the 100/100 mark so it was at the end of limitations of the SE filter element. I like to use the SE backing plate and a K&N 325dfm unit. It works well does not stick out too far and provides great flow

Wrench, how would you compare the flow abilities of the K&N 325dfm filter using the SE back plate vs. a Doherty Power PACC set up?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I like the dorhety backing plate better over the cast version, and it allows you to vent the way you want verse's the Se kit. Drop me a line, you have several options

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
HDWRENCH said:

Wrench, I'm going to be calling you in the near future with some Throttle Body questions, but until then, do you sell the K&N 325dfn filter or do you know the K&N part number for this filter?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I am running the old SE back plate and the K&N filter from the SE CV51mm kit. The filter in the 51mm is the same diameter at the plate and the outer edge but is about an inch taller for more flow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts