V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dunno: Hi, I'm new to the Forum. I have a 86 FXRT and it's time for new tires. I've always went stock,but this time I'd like to Bump up a size or to from the stck 130/16. How big can I go without any mods to the bike.

·
FXR
117 Posts
I heard there are some 140s you can run without any mods. I have a 1985 FXRS with a 150 Avon Super Venom that required minimal mods. I had to put a 3/8" spacer behind the belt pulley and some extra washers on the axle. Also, the chrome pulley cover had to be removed, because the pulley is now really close to the swing arm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:badmood: Raining here in Columbus today...Can't ride. Really should'nt complain though..Been one heck of a nice Winter so far. I checked the Metzeler site and it only showed the stock 130/16 on any year. A 150 would fantastic. Hoping to get more replys, on maybe a 140 with and a brand with no mods at all, I have a 130 Metzeler, and it looks petty skinny....LOL Thanks,Buk

·
Premium FNG :)
81 Posts
I have a later model FatBoy 150 tire and wheel in mine. I also have Vulcan Engineering's FXR Fat Tire Kit, but I'm not sure I needed it because of the FatBoy wheel offset. It isn't dialed in yet, but everything seems to fit with room to spare.

·
Registered
54 Posts
hey brucifer , that late fatboy wheel got my attention . did you mean the wheel already as a offset so no spacers needed for the pulleys etc needed . any chance of a bit more info on this one mate. cheers .

·
Premium FNG :)
81 Posts
Hey teg,

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town.

I was told that there a difference between the early model FatBoy tires and the late model to allow for a narrower pulley and belt. I haven't finished the rear of the bike yet, so I can't tell you if the offset caliper I bought was even needed. Even then I'm not sure what is going to be needed as I put a FL tranny in place of the FX one. Maybe the the people in the wheel and tire forum can help out better. I think you should have no problem setting the wheel and tire in there, but I'm sure there will be some fine-tuning for your app.

Cheers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am in the middle of stuffing a Metzler 200/50/18 under mine!
LOTS of work...and that's probably an understatement! Of course I am doing a lot of other mods FXR purist will hate me for!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't want to rob this guys thread (maybe it will help him, or motivate people!), but here's mine before:

and now currently:
(with stock length front tubes)

(with new +4" tubes and 7 degree raked accutronix trees)

·
FXR
117 Posts
Man, that is looking sweet! I can't wait to see it finished!

·
Registered
30 Posts
well, i had to offset the motor/tranny over half and inch. modify the swingarm in order to do that. rework the front motor mount, either heat/spread the rear frame section and/or clearance them by cutting (i did both). switch to chain drive and clearance the sprocket bolts.... all kinds of little things that add up to a lot of work.

·
Registered
145 Posts
you need to measure between your stock tire and your chain or belt. Leave yourself some clearance, double the measurement, and add it to you stock tire width. If its like mine, I doubt if you can step up another size without more modifications.

if its a belt drive, you can change to a chain with a sproket change and maybe get by with a wider tire.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Avon 140 on a XL

Kind of late for this post I was just browsing around in here when I seen this.
I just put a Avon 140 on My 97 1200 sporty with no problema at all.
When I pulled the tire off to replace it I found that the owner before had a 140 on it. I will pickup my 93 FXR friday can't wait and hope to put the same tire on it. Surely if it will fit a sporty it should fit a FXR (right guys).
Also bought a front and rear Spoked rim set that I will change too. Don't like Mags on a scooter.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I have, this winter replaced the rear tyre with a 180/60-16 on a 5,25" Sturgis smoothie wheel and running a belt! NO engine sideways move mods! Just spread the rear frame to accomodate an 8" fender :)
(Use the 2007 20mm belt and rear sprocket) More pics soon.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts