V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about buying a set off big radius exhaust for my dyna lowrider anybody got any info on the sound with baffles and without got stage 1 kit at the moment will I need to alter the injection cheers

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
andean said:
thinking about buying a set off big radius exhaust for my dyna lowrider anybody got any info on the sound with baffles and without got stage 1 kit at the moment will I need to alter the injection cheers
Got em on my 03 Lowrider. Didn't like the sound of the stock baffles, so I replaced them with Thunder Monster baffles. Quite an improvement in the sound. A little loud but a deep throaty sound. Stage 1 intake and re-jetted the carb. Runs and sounds great.:coffee:

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Just my observations here.

The Big Radius seems to be one of the worst performing pipes to choose from. Although I don't have my bike yet, I chose the Hooker troublemakers. Same basic profile as the BR, but stepped tuned and ceramic coated. Hooker also offers three different baffles.
Like I said, just my observations.

·
professional doof
690 Posts
andean said:

do a serch on this, i've made several posts on these pipes. i have them and like them alot. if you wanna see them check out my gallery below ( the black haired mistress ).

George C.....they aren't the WORST performing pipes, but they are a 2-2. we all know that 2-2 pipes aren't as good as a 2-1. they are however stepped, although not ceramic coated.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
George C said:
Just my observations here.

The Big Radius seems to be one of the worst performing pipes to choose from. Although I don't have my bike yet, I chose the Hooker troublemakers. Same basic profile as the BR, but stepped tuned and ceramic coated. Hooker also offers three different baffles.
Like I said, just my observations.
78 horses and 80 foot lbs of torque on the dyno. This is on a stock twin cam with the carb re-jetted. I'm impressed with the performance.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
apache36 said:
do a serch on this, i've made several posts on these pipes. i have them and like them alot. if you wanna see them check out my gallery below ( the black haired mistress ).

George C.....they aren't the WORST performing pipes, but they are a 2-2. we all know that 2-2 pipes aren't as good as a 2-1. they are however stepped, although not ceramic coated.

From what I have learned, they are not stepped.
Most other V-H pipes are not stepped either..

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
johsch53 said:
78 horses and 80 foot lbs of torque on the dyno. This is on a stock twin cam with the carb re-jetted. I'm impressed with the performance.

I'm just relaying info that I have read from multiple tuners. Just about everybody I spoke with says the BR pipes just plain suck, but however they are beautiful..
Your 78-80 gains, what RPM where these numbers made, and for how long?
I'm just saying that there are better choices out there with the same style.

I was all set to buy the BR pipes, but my first instinct to stay away came from talking with the V-H techs. Both techs I talked to seemed to have more important things to do other than ask my questions. Both seemed unfamiliar with the product, other than the coaching they received.

I'll have some numbers as soon as my bike parts arrive..

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
George C said:
I'm just relaying info that I have read from multiple tuners. Just about everybody I spoke with says the BR pipes just plain suck, but however they are beautiful..
Your 78-80 gains, what RPM where these numbers made, and for how long?
I'm just saying that there are better choices out there with the same style.

I was all set to buy the BR pipes, but my first instinct to stay away came from talking with the V-H techs. Both techs I talked to seemed to have more important things to do other than ask my questions. Both seemed unfamiliar with the product, other than the coaching they received.

I'll have some numbers as soon as my bike parts arrive..
I'm sure there are better choices out there. I'm just saying that I'm very pleased with my Big Radius pipes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
choice

living over the pond we dont get as good a selection and the prices are $900 (£525)for the big radius and lets be honest they look awsome, i have got boloney screaming eagle on at the moment and they sound awsome I can get the radius sent over for $565 (£300) from a shop that I have used on ebay before, but its the sound I am more interested in

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
This is just my opinion and I'm not trying to berate the Big Radius pipes. Personally I think they do not have a great sound. Yes, they are very loud but that is not always the best. One of my best friends has them on his '03 Deuce so I've heard them a lot. For a Dyna Low Rider I would HIGHLY recommend that same pipes I have on my 1995 Wideglide.....V&H Propipe. It looks great, sounds GREAT, and makes great power. It has about the best power results of all according to the threads and posts I've seen in here. May not be #1 but real close.
Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
I too am thinking about a set of big radius pipes on either a low rider or night train (haven't decided which to get yet). Anyway, I'm also considering "side-shots" and "rip-saws", but will consider other possibilities.

As far as the big radius, do you have to watch out for contact burns, etc? If they are obnoxiously loud, any suggestions on a nice throaty sounding and good looking alternative. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Never been burned by my BRs and while the pipes are certainly louder than the previous SEIIs I think they sound good.
As far as the numbers go, BRs don't put out the best numbers for hp/torque. If you want big power and speed out of your bike look for a 2-1 rather than a 2-2 as Ozzie said.
I was only interested in sound and looks, which I think the BR offers in spades.
Screwtop, if you're anywhere near the 301 bridge (MD-VA) you're welcome to hear the BRs on an 05 Dyna.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Screwtop said:
I too am thinking about a set of big radius pipes on either a low rider or night train (haven't decided which to get yet). Anyway, I'm also considering "side-shots" and "rip-saws", but will consider other possibilities.

As far as the big radius, do you have to watch out for contact burns, etc? If they are obnoxiously loud, any suggestions on a nice throaty sounding and good looking alternative. Thanks in advance.

Although I am no expert, I think the Hooker Troublemakers http://www.holley.com/types.asp?type=507 are a better pipe than the V-H Big Radius for many reasons.
Although the shape is simular, they have a slightly less arched bend that allows the pipe to dump the exhaust out, rather than down. This should stop all dust clouds when starting. They are a tad higher, so the "right turn" scraping issues the BR suffers from should not happen with the Hookers. They are stepped tuned and ceramic coated, which the Big Raduis is not, and also have a choice of three different baffles to choose from. Lastly, they have a one piece, seamless heat shield. Personally, I don't see any comparison between the two..

·
Registered
210 Posts
BIg radius

andean said:

I have them on a fat boy with out baffles BUT I do have a set of white bros Torque cone for some back pressure they sound great

1 - 14 of 14 Posts