V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the three style pipes I like best, and will be putting a set on the Duece after break in. I plan on getting a fuel injected model. Please give me your thoughts on the following:

1) Sound - I want it to be throaty and distinct, but not obnoxious (crackly loud). I know there are baffles but how well do they work?

2) Heat - With heat shields in place, do you have any issues with contact burns through jeans, or other problems with any of these types? What about passenger issues in this regard?

3) Quality - I've heard good things about V&H, but what about Samson? How well do they stack up?

4) Power gains - This is the lowest priority as I've ridden the stocker and it's got plenty of snot for what I'm using it for. But a little more power can't hurt.

Any photos of Dueces with these pipes would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

·
DILLIGAF
35 Posts
Big Guns

I can't speak for the V&H pipes as I have never owned them. I can however speak to the Samson pipes. Before buying mine I heard all the horror stories about the chrome, pipes splitting, heat shields breaking, etc. All I can tell you is it looks like Samson has finally got it right with the Big Gun 3 model. I have the Street Sweepers and they look and sound sweet. Chrome is perfect and with the permanant heat shields there is no rattle. With the welded in baffels they sound sweet too (loud but not too loud). -2$en#e-

Here is a picture :cheers:

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
I've got SEII slipons on my 05 Deuce. Good performing, since they were only $180, but am considering either the V&H BSS or the D&D Fatcat 2into1. I believe the BSS, Samsons, Rhineharts, and Thunderheader are the most popular on Deuces. I'm running the Power Commander, and haven't seen any maps for the Samsons, so I'm not considering them. Eventhough they are pretty decent looking on Deuces. I've heard some quality and performance issues with the Samsons too, but so does others, just more so with Samsons. I think they also have a new lineup of pipes, Samsons III's?? Hopefully I wont do like many others have done, buy two or three different sets of pipes before I'm satisfied.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Screwtop said:
These are the three style pipes I like best, and will be putting a set on the Duece after break in. I plan on getting a fuel injected model. Please give me your thoughts on the following:

1) Sound - I want it to be throaty and distinct, but not obnoxious (crackly loud). I know there are baffles but how well do they work?

2) Heat - With heat shields in place, do you have any issues with contact burns through jeans, or other problems with any of these types? What about passenger issues in this regard?

3) Quality - I've heard good things about V&H, but what about Samson? How well do they stack up?

4) Power gains - This is the lowest priority as I've ridden the stocker and it's got plenty of snot for what I'm using it for. But a little more power can't hurt.

Thanks!
If you're considering V&H BR, you may want to also check out Hooker Troublemaker's, a 3 stepped head pipe with for 80" - 96" or >96" builds. Inside headpipes are also treated with a heat retaining coating for better performance. Hooker show a dyno chart on the pipe that looks pretty strong.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you buy a two into two look for a crossover chamber.(like the screamin eagle and a few of the V&H) You dont want to spend 17 large, and loose low end torqe for sound do ya? So maybe a two into one. The V&H pro pipe is pretty nice and with supertrapp and thunderheader. Just my 2 Cents.

·
Dog on a Hog
195 Posts
Can't speak for the Deuce, but I've got the V&H BSS on my Heritage and they are great. The quiet baffles give them a good deep rumble, take away the popping sounds. THe BSS have the "power chamber" crossover, along with a few other types, good boost in power. I haven't had any issues with the heat shields, they seem to cool off pretty quick and aren't too hot during the ride, at least I haven't melted anything.

My buddy has the big radius on his deuce, they look and sound great. He seems to like them and hasn't had any problems with his wife riding with him.

Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have had the Samson ground pounders and the sawed offs on
my bike. Both held up with no problems.

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks All,

I appreciate the info and checked out some of the other brands. I like the Big Gun III line as well now, especially the Streetsweepers. The Hooker Troublemakers are a nice alternative to the BR pipes, as well. Decisions, decisions....

I also appreciate the comments on the crossover chamber to help me make an informed choice regarding functionality. I'm not so concerned about gaining power, but I sure as hell don't want to loose any.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1 Posts
about your pipes

Screwtop said:

Thanks!
1.evrybody wants sound but in my opionion performance is were its at.first of all stay away from v&h and samson.those two are for looks and just sound and over priced.you will lose more than just power.you will end up spending way to much money on something that doesnt deliver that punch that you want 2.heat sheilds help but you still have to be carefull.look in to somthing that has full coverage sheilds. 3.think that one was covered already. 4.baffles are the best way to go.you need some back preasure to get your horsepower up and torque up.a lot of people like to run 2 in to 1 pipes,i personley dont like how they look,but they do work great.from what i remember exhaust pipes is were you loose most of your power i think 75%.remember you are going to end up loosing somthing to gain somthing sound,power,looks and most important money,your choice!my best advise would be to talk to someone that deals with more on exhaust performance.there are alot of other companys out there then the more just for look type ,like thunder header,bassani,cycleshack.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
This is a loaded question.
It's like asking someone to pick out your girlfriend. You have to have your own taste, and be true to it.

I didn't consider a 2 into 1..
I couldn't care less if the 2 into 1 pipes gave me an extra 100 hp, I wasn't going to have that look or sound.
Personally, I knew the exact style pipes I wanted. After comparing the V&H Big Radius to the Hooker Troublemakers first hand, I knew which one was the best pipe. V&H...

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
George C said:
This is a loaded question.
It's like asking someone to pick out your girlfriend. You have to have your own taste, and be true to it.

I didn't consider a 2 into 1..
I couldn't care less if the 2 into 1 pipes gave me an extra 100 hp, I wasn't going to have that look or sound.
Personally, I knew the exact style pipes I wanted. After comparing the V&H Big Radius to the Hooker Troublemakers first hand, I knew which one was the best pipe. V&H...

100 HP extra and you wouldn't look at it? How about if it was "double" loud AND 100 HP extra.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Screwtop said:

Thanks!
I've got the V&H Big Radius on my Deuce. A great looking and sounding pipe. Even better...I put in the ThunderMonster Baffles. Even better sound, less "tingy", much deeper thumping sound.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
fatboy69 said:
I've got the V&H Big Radius on my Deuce. A great looking and sounding pipe. Even better...I put in the ThunderMonster Baffles. Even better sound, less "tingy", much deeper thumping sound.

I don't know if it's the 204 cam I using, but my bike is LOUD. I tried the BCT baffles, and my eardrums were almost bleeding at idle.:confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts