V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been discussed before but I'll be darned if I can find a thread.

I have a 2007 SE Springer with a 110, VH Big Radius and a SE Heavy Breather. EFI has been remapped with the SE Race Tuner at my Dealer.

Bike runs great, no exessive pop on decel or between gears, and the pipes sound good and are plenty loud but I'd like them nastier... just a little crisper if that's possible.

I know this can be resolved by removing the baffles, but I'm reluctant to lose the bottom end as I do most riding around town and rarely wind it up.

I'm told that "Big City Thunder Monster Baffles" may be the ticket so I have a few questions:

1. Are they in fact all that I've heard?
2. Does anyone have VH BR with them... will they brighten the tone without a sacrifice in torque?
3. And most importantly - How do you remove the stock VH Baffles? The set screws are not in plain sight so I assume they are behind the heat shields somewhere... looking for a step by step if that's possible.

Would appreciate any help!!

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
You will have to loosen the shields to get at the screw that holds the current baffle in place.Other then that its pretty straight forward install. I think you will lose a little torque and pick up the sound you are looking for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just made the change last night. You will need to remove the rear sheilds to drill the 1/4" hole to mount the TM baffle further back that the stock mounting hole. If you call them they will tell you to mount them 5 to 6 inches into the pipe or you will lose performance. I mounted mine 7" back to clear the shield clamp.

The baffle from the front cylinder will come out easy. The rear will come hard. The way I did it was to use the mounting bolt on the inside and loop a wire around it, then use a scrap 2x4 on the other end and hammer the 2x4 to pull it out. 3-4 good swings will get it started.

I've only rode about 20 miles since the switch and the seat of the pants is to close to call yet. They are definately louder and deeper. Again, I'm undecided yet if they are too loud.:hmmm:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Update on the thunder monster baffles.

After several miles I decided they were too loud. I did like the deeper sound so I cut the OEM baffle to fit with the TM still installed. The result is a deeper sound than the original BR alittle louder but not as loud as straight or with TM only. %[email protected] Performance feels the virtually the same in all set ups.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts