V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
straightshoooter
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me out guys, anyone out there riding around the new Big Dog K9? I was going to buy the Chopper but the K9 is growing on me. Need some help deciding, thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My buddy just traded his 03 Chopper in for the K-9. I have a 05 Chopper. The K-9 is 4 inches longer and has the 300mm tire but everything else it the same. He added the air ride system also.

The K-9 gets a larger gas tank also which I wish I had.
Later,

Ray

·
straightshoooter
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Have you ridden the K9 and if so, any major difference in the handling with the 300?

·
Registered
224 Posts
mrputtr said:
Thanks. Have you ridden the K9 and if so, any major difference in the handling with the 300?
No, I haven't ridden one but I rode a Ridgeback. I've had two Big Dogs so am used to the big tires and didn't notice any difference.
If it's your first fat tire bike then the learning curve is short. They handle fine in the curvy roads but it's never going to replace your Dyna or crotch rocket.
Go down to V-Twin City and and test drive one. If they won't let you ride one then come down to San Diego, the shop here will let you test ride.
Later,
Ray

·
straightshoooter
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to ride them both at the VTwin Van Nuys store this weekend. I'll post when I'm done. Thanks Ray.

Any problems with yours?

·
Registered
224 Posts
mrputtr said:
I'm going to ride them both at the VTwin Van Nuys store this weekend. I'll post when I'm done. Thanks Ray.

Any problems with yours?
I've had a few but all were taken care of by the dealer. The dealer is real important with these bikes. Check out these two websites for more info.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/thedogpound/start

And here check out the Big Dog and Customs sections for a lot of mods I've done to mine.
http://www.hotrodbiker.com/index.php?

Let me know how your ride goes.
Later,
Ray

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I have an '04 Ridgeback, and love it. However, I wish I would have waited for the K9. Same length, bigger tank, suspension AND 300 tire. I've ridden several of the Big Dogs (I work for the dealer) and prefer the chopper style.

·
straightshoooter
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the references Ray. I'm going to start a new thread on the test rides... very interesting. ms

·
straightshoooter
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Ray, I'm totally confused. I posted a question earlier regarding California EPA standards on 2006 bikes. All these articles I've been reading, etc. I was doing some research on the Internet earlier and saw that perhaps California has already started this nonsense as of 2004? I know you've got an 05. Did yours come with the smog canister on it? I'm trying to decide if the 06 is a bad idea; but if it's the same set up as the 05 I'm not as concerned. Pretty depressing reading about what's coming and the restrictions they're putting on bikes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
mrputtr said:
Hey Ray, I'm totally confused. I posted a question earlier regarding California EPA standards on 2006 bikes. All these articles I've been reading, etc. I was doing some research on the Internet earlier and saw that perhaps California has already started this nonsense as of 2004? I know you've got an 05. Did yours come with the smog canister on it? I'm trying to decide if the 06 is a bad idea; but if it's the same set up as the 05 I'm not as concerned. Pretty depressing reading about what's coming and the restrictions they're putting on bikes.
It's the same set-up that was on my 03 Mastiff also. Simple carbon canister that the tank and motor vent to. Easy to remove as everyone does!!! I don't think there was any changes from 05 to 06 as far as EPA goes other than the bikes all ship with G carbs vice the E's for 05.
My buddy traded his 03 Chopper for the 06 K-9 and it's sweet and the tank is bigger. But if you can get a bargain deal on an 05........
Later,
Ray

·
Registered
224 Posts
mrputtr said:
Thanks Ray. Unrelated topic; how do you keep your bike from being stolen.

Mark
It's hard to prevent four guys jumping out and picking up your locked bike and throwing it into the back of a pickup. It probably takes 30 seconds. I broke my clutch cable while at little sturgis on titty alley and four of us picked it up and put it in the back of my friends pickup and it only took 30 seconds.

But, I use a disc brake lock at most stops and I have a heavy GAURD chain that I use when on the road and try to lock it to a post or guard rail if in a parking garage.
Pick a crowded place with lots of light and maybe a security camera and keep your fingers crossed!
Later,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts