V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I hope the file attached itself, anyway, got the bike dyno'ed today. I was looking for low 90's for HP, and mid 90's for torque. I am pleasantly surprized.

Stock heads, ported by Bean
SE Quick Adjust Pushrods
SE High Compression Cast Pistons
.030 Cometic Squish Gasket (9.9:1 CR)
SE 95" Cylinders
Andrews 37G
Woods 2 degree Advance Key
Baisley Spring
SE Clutch Spring
V&H Pro-Pipe HS
SERT

I think that's it

darrell
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
517 Posts
looks pretty fair but it appears you have some left. The afr is pretty lean and i have an idea if its hot out and your running at 80mph on the highway theat motor is gonna really heat up. a little more tuning and i imagine you have bout 4 more hp and at least that in tq bew a fun ride for sure. a few more miles on it and it gets bettter also
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reposting that, springer. Like happyman says, I think there is still some more left in there, but I want to put a few more miles on the build before we go trying to get any more out of it. I'm extremely happy with the way it is running and so are the folks I ride with.
Again, thanks to Bean for helping so much with this build, and anyone else who gave me any kind of advice. Without this forum I would have never been able to even begin to think about getting numbers like these from a basic, low cost (relatively) build.

thanks again to all
darrell
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,114 Posts
Derrell, did you drill out the baffle holes in the Propipe or remove the packing??
Also what did you guys do in the tune up to use 150 Dyno Runs??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doc,

The only thing done to the pipe was a small hole for the sniffer to go into, other than that it is completely stock with the regular, not competition baffle in it and all the packing.
I've had my bike on the dyno there a few times, first for the inital pipe change/remap from delivery, then I had a lean condition where at the same time they did the inital SERT tune with the new Pro-Pipe. That time the tech took quite a few runs, I really don't know how many, I wasn't there for that one.
This last time we did probably 40-50 runs. Each time we adjusted the map on the Sert we did at least 4 runs. All I know is that it all added up pretty quickly.

The bike pushed 91 hp and a little over 100 for torque, but the AFR was all over in that run. We readjusted to get a better AFR and that's what the numbers ended up being.

Is there more in it? The tech (Bill, by the way) said that I may get some more out of it after the build has a few more miles on it.

darrell
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,114 Posts
Ironrdr said:
Doc,

The only thing done to the pipe was a small hole for the sniffer to go into, other than that it is completely stock with the regular, not competition baffle in it and all the packing.
I've had my bike on the dyno there a few times, first for the inital pipe change/remap from delivery, then I had a lean condition where at the same time they did the inital SERT tune with the new Pro-Pipe. That time the tech took quite a few runs, I really don't know how many, I wasn't there for that one.
This last time we did probably 40-50 runs. Each time we adjusted the map on the Sert we did at least 4 runs. All I know is that it all added up pretty quickly.

The bike pushed 91 hp and a little over 100 for torque, but the AFR was all over in that run. We readjusted to get a better AFR and that's what the numbers ended up being.

Is there more in it? The tech (Bill, by the way) said that I may get some more out of it after the build has a few more miles on it.

darrell
I was looking at the dip in the begining of the graph...its not characteristic of the 37g cam but it is when a pipe is over scavaging. Thats why I asked if you opened up the propipe...again the propipe won't give you that dip either so I would add 4 to 6 units of fuel to the frt cylinder only and that might get that dip out of there.
BTW when a dyno operator don't know what else to do to get the power out of the build he will say '' put more miles on and there will be more there'' I don't buy that phrase (sorry Bill) After all with 150 runs how many more miles does he need....lol
 

·
XLIII
Joined
·
10,078 Posts
Yup, I don't know these things like Doc, but w/ crappy ol duals I don't even have a dip like that.
Your tuner has some work to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that info, Doc. I'm gonna run the bike like it is for a little while longer (it won't hurt it running a little lean in the lower rpm's will it?). Then take it back to get another shot at it. If you say there is still some work to do after the next set of runs then I'll have to decide where to take it to dial it in better. (Bill did mention a tuner's course he was getting sent to in AZ I believe it was, so maybe after that)

As for the shop (Millville H-D) and Bill (the Tech) I can't say enough good things about them, even if his tuning needs to be fine tuned:(- . The shop had no reservations about me wanting to use non-H-D parts or parts that I had purchased elsewhere. The build was done in a timely manner, and the service department was more than knowledgable about all the parts I had picked (Baisley spring, advance keys). Best of all, they didn't bend me over the counter when it came time to pay. Hours worked were the hours billed, not what some book said it had better take.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that even it it isn't tuned 100%, the service and treatment I got taking my bike there makes the tuning aspect easy to accept what I ended up with.

Again, Doc, thanks for the advice

darrell
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,114 Posts
Ironrdr said:
Thanks for that info, Doc. I'm gonna run the bike like it is for a little while longer (it won't hurt it running a little lean in the lower rpm's will it?). Then take it back to get another shot at it. If you say there is still some work to do after the next set of runs then I'll have to decide where to take it to dial it in better. (Bill did mention a tuner's course he was getting sent to in AZ I believe it was, so maybe after that)

As for the shop (Millville H-D) and Bill (the Tech) I can't say enough good things about them, even if his tuning needs to be fine tuned:(- . The shop had no reservations about me wanting to use non-H-D parts or parts that I had purchased elsewhere. The build was done in a timely manner, and the service department was more than knowledgable about all the parts I had picked (Baisley spring, advance keys). Best of all, they didn't bend me over the counter when it came time to pay. Hours worked were the hours billed, not what some book said it had better take.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that even it it isn't tuned 100%, the service and treatment I got taking my bike there makes the tuning aspect easy to accept what I ended up with.

Again, Doc, thanks for the advice

darrell
Your welcome Darrell...the school in AZ..is that with Matt Gross??
Good luck to you and Bill will do fine..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hdmd88 said:
Your welcome Darrell...the school in AZ..is that with Matt Gross??
Good luck to you and Bill will do fine..

I'm not real sure. After he was done tuning it he mentioned that he and the service manager were going out there for a few day course, but I'll find out for sure.

darrell
 

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
Joined
·
455 Posts
Ironrdr, If you dont mind me asking, how much for the parts and the labor on this build? I am interested in the same type build for my bike, and was wondering how much it was going to run me. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
alaskan302 said:
Ironrdr, If you dont mind me asking, how much for the parts and the labor on this build? I am interested in the same type build for my bike, and was wondering how much it was going to run me. Thanks
Give me a day and I'll get all my receipts so I can get an accurate price.

Alright, I think I have most of the stuff listed here:

Big Boyz: $299 + $20 for head cc & $20 shipping $339
cylinders, gaskets, pushrods, pistons, clutch spring: $590.53
(those can be had a little cheaper from Zanotti's)
Wally's Cycle World for 37G cam kit: $539.95
Wood Performance for advance key: $55.84
Baisley Spring (can't find receipt) $15.50
Install/tune by Millville H-D $889.94

Total: $2430.76

Some of the parts I already had (Pro-Pipe/SERT), but some of the parts can be bought for cheaper from an online dealer like Zanotti's or Chicago H-D I believe. You can also save money by having your jugs bored. All in all I think the build was well woth the price. I went from having 64 HP and 70 TQ to what I have now.
darrell
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top