V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am putting everything bavk together and when I spoke to Dave from interstate he said the heads turned out great. The only thing I may have to do is grind for the valves on lower rocker boxes. I believe he said mostly the intakes but I’ll have to confirm. He told me prior to assembly pot boxes on heads and I will see exactly where I need to grind. Also said to take a piece of copper welding wire I believe 65 thousands thick and run around the springs to make sure there is enough clearance. i do not know exactly why we didn’t go with the beehives but I trust him. He had a great reputation and bob woods recommended him to me. He has really done a great job about collecting info for the build and making sure he has the heads set up exactly for this build. He has even bored the gaskets for this build instead of just telling me to throw dome regular gaskets made for every other bike. Anyways I have a couple of questions I know you guys can help with. 1st. My new S&S premium hydraulic lifters. Should I clean all packing oil and pump full of break in oil or soak them. What is your recommendation on that part. Secondly. About grinding these lower covers. Can you guys give me a few pics or some. Enter instructions on this part. That would be huge. Lastly I installed the new cams, oil pump, and cam plate about two or three weeks ago and put lube all over. However it’s been a while. Will that lube still be adequate on the cam lobes and etc. we used the steaming eagle intakes and exhaust valves instead of the beehives. If that matters. Thank you in advance for any info you guys can give me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I’ve never ground on the rocker box lowers but I have on 2 cam chest covers for clearance of Zippers dual piston cam chain tensioners. I used a Dremel and some various grinding bits. Worked good and I bet I removed far more material than you will have to.
As far as the cam chest. If you coated the parts with assembly lube, I would think your good to go. When I built my Zippers 107 sport kit they suggested leaving the rocker box covers off and spark plugs out. Then turning over the engine in short intervals of a couple seconds each until I saw oil coming out of the rockers. Then you know the oil system is working and primed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you also I’ve had this thing tore apart waiting on parts for 3 or 4 weeks now and I’ve cleaned the inner primary daily. It keeps getting fluid coming out from behind the stator. I’ve asked another person and they said probably just some residual lube from the primary etc but I actually noticed some assembly lube and the only place that can come from is the crankcase from when I installed new pistons and rings. So don’t you think the seal is going bad behind the stator. Plus I have rpm miles on this seal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts