V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having my '02 RoadGlide readied by the H-D dealer in town (I'm one happy dude). Getting a whole slew of chrome and add-on goodies but the dealer suggested that I only do the big bore cylinders and pistons and wait on the cams. I'm also getting the Bub headers and V&H slashcuts and of course, the remap.

My dealer told me the cam work would void my warranty and besides that, I should ride the bike for a year then decide to get the camwork done (along with another remap, of course) if I feel I need them.

I'm a big power guy and am not sure if I shouldn't just go with the cams (and any other suggestions anyone else has) to make the most hp and torque I can get.

Any suggestions or recommendations on upgrading the cams? How abot the factory warranty? Can I buy an extended coverage that will give me some protection against breakdown?

Thanks, MikeM

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
The issue of what "voids" a warranty often comes up. The literal language of the H/D warranty implies that any engine or exhaust work will void the warranty on the engine. Realistically, many dealers will "warranty" any work they have done. Most will not gripe too much about a Big Bore upgrade (indeed, the engine is really designed to be a 95" anyway). The installation of hotter cams does seem to be a bigger warranty issue with a lot of dealers. Q: if your bike breaks down away from home do you want to get into it with a stranger dealer because you've installed hot cams?

Some riders elect to go for whole enchilada when they upgrade (i.e. cams, and hot misc. parts). Other riders are quite happy with the Big Bore by itself. I'm in that more conservative group and I ride a 2000 FLHTC. (FYI. Many riders do not go beyond new pipes and some carb work and they are happy! Very personal thing!!!)

There is a small (1 to 2 hrs.) labor savings and remap savings (on the F/I bike) to have the cams installed at the same time as the Big Bore kit. My suggestion: try the Big Bore and pipes for a year, and see if it meets your needs.

A plus about getting an upgrade later is that you get to have that "new bike" feeling one more time as you break-in the upgrade (whether that's the Big Bore or cams). The feeling is exciting! :D Now, let's see what others think!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My inclination is to wait on the hotter cams, especially if I will notice a (relatively) significant hp/torque gain with the big bore and exhaust mods.

I just rented a E-Glide Classic in Phoenix while on business (I haven't owned an H-D before) and found the stock setup to be ---- somewhat uninspiring. Will there be a noticable difference with the big bore and exhaust mods I'm getting to the stock setup?

I'm told that in stock form it puts out around 62hp. How much increase to that will I see with the mods I'm getting?

Thanks,

MikeM

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
"Uninspiring" is a very kind way of describing the performance, IMHO. Now, are there riders who find the ride OK? Yes. I'm not doubting their evaluation. However, I agree with your perception. I don't think the stock ride on the touring bikes is sufficient.

On a carb. model, the Big Bore kit with other necessary goodies (pipes, carb work, ignition mod.) should increase your h/p to 72-75. The torque should go up to an amazing 90-95. These figures are replicated in a number of magazine tests and are akin to what H/D claims will be the resulting gain. I think (???) the F/I figures are slightly lower. Worse case, with the addition of a high flow exhaust and the Big Bore kit you'll gain 7-10 h/p. Your mod's will bring you a noticeable increase in torque and h/p.

I'm going to step back now and let the F/I owners out there give ya' some input.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Warranty and power are mutually exclusive. Since it looks like money is no object, power can be found with several aftermarket combinations, far more effectively, and cheaper, then with SE parts.
Hp doesn't mean anything, and the TQ #'s are much better then you may think, wether with a stock engine or just a big bore.

You have to be very honest in evaluating your riding habits, and then build to match them. You really don't know what your riding habits with THIS bike are going to be until you ride it for a while.

Big power is always in the heads and the compression ratio. Wether the bike is carb or EFI makes a big difference in approach.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If the bike you rented was not a 02 there is no comparison. The stock 02 injected bikes run stronger then a completely stock carb bike like a rental bike would be, and much stronger then a stock Marelli EFI bike.
Take my word for it, I ride the same bike (02FLTRI), and I have ridden the older ones in all sorts of configurations. Wait and see. There is also new stuff for these bikes coming down the pike, and it would be a bitch to dump big bucks in an obsolete setup.

Disclaimer, talking strictly FLT's here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, mine is EFI. The rental was '02---carburated.

I sure appreciate the feedback. I'm going to take the advice and see how I like the R/G with the EFI, big bore and exhaust mods. We'll see from there.

Thanks again.

MikeM

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mike M, you say...

<<<I'm also getting the Bub headers and V&H slashcuts and of course, the remap. >>>

Where are you getting those slip-ons? V&H says they won't have the '02 bagger slip-ons ready until late April, at the soonest. Apparently, in '02, when H-D went with a larger rear axle (1" ?), V&H claims they hit the muffler. I have seen various places listing the old parts as '02 fitment -- but I think they are wrong. The V&H '02 models all have different part #'s too...

There are people on a different Forum that claim they fit, but I have to yet to confirm this with anyone that has had the bike on a lift.

Call V&H to confirm (800) 592-2529.

I wanted to get them, but went with Khrome Werks because the V&H's weren't ready...

FWIW,
Mitch

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip Mitch. I'll look into that. My salesman told me he had them but, well, you know.

Mike M

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just bought a '02 Roadking and was thinking about the V&H, but when I heard they would not be available I went with the Hooker slip-ons.

One of the guys at the dealers said that they would fit, he said they dent the backside of the muffler where it would hit the rear axle?? I guess it's not a big deal since it's on the backside where you can't see it anyway?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don is absolutely correct. My H-D dealer told me that they got some 2002 V&H slip ons initially but since then they have been on permanent back order. Told me that hey use a hammer to "dent" the 01 slip-on where it would hit the frame on the 02. Says they have done this many times and is no problem.

MikeM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mike M, I have a few friends who have done the big bore kit and were disappointed. The problem with the big bore kit, cams, in fact the problem with the Twincam period is the heads. They don't breath enough. They breath even less than the Evos. If you do anything major the these motors without head work you are spinning your wheels. One of the best solutions to this problem I've seen yet is Carl's Speed Shop in Daytona, FL has a whole FLH set up including bigbore, heads, cam which by the way they grind themselves just for this application, Power Commander map,etc. They have a whole package that is all perfectly matched and dino'd to prove it. If you cant get down there they will even ship the whole works to you and you or your local wrench can install it.

S

·
0 Posts
TOTALLY AGREE WITH HIPPO ON THIS ONE......HEADS AND COMPRESSION ARE THE KEY---------PERSONALLY RECOMMEND JERRY BRANCH STAGE 4 HEADS WITH MATCHING 10.5 TO 1 PISTONS....MIX THAT WITH CAMS, CARB, AND PIPES AND YOUR DEFINITELY ON YOUR WAY---AND THATS WITHOUT BORING IT....SAVES $ AND STILL GETS BIG TIME POWER TO THE REAR WHEEL IN COMPARISON TO STOCK

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hippo -- What new stuff is coming for Road Glide? I am looking at engine upgrades when the weather sets in and don't want to be sorry if something new is coming out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Having bigbore, heads cams and stuff done to my '02 RG right now. I opted to go for a lower compression kit 9.5 for long term reliability and for those times in the middle of nowhere and crappy 97 octane is all you can find.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Spence,
Kind of depends what bike it is you are building. With a light bike that stock bore approach might work okay but with the big bore the torque numbers will be way up and the power will come in sooner. I took the stock bore approach, se heads and andrews 50 cam,se ignition, and while the power was good the tech that did the work and dynoed the bike was not impressed with the torque. Bike was 2001 fxdx. It only costs about 120 dollars to bore those cylinders, pistons cost the same to get that big time torque to go along with the added hp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts