V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw a couple of Ebay adds for 95 big bore pistons and bored cylinders for ar ound 300 dollars . Anyone know aboutthese kits?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Set of take off cylinders $40, Bored to match pistons $120, SE cast pistons, $115...

It's a good deal for someone, I guess there are some gaskets necessary, maybe $30 so if the kit includes those, probably pretty good.... alot easier than the route I described above...

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
claydbal said:
depends on how the boring was done. and piston brand/ quality.
Exactly! the quality of the honing job makes a big difference in the outcome. Personally, if one of the really good guys charges $150 for a bore and hone versus an unknown or someone with less experience charges less, I'll pay the few extra bucks for the quality job, my dos centavos.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
You mean like use a CNC lathe to bore the cylinder and finish with diamond hones?? Just giving you chit Tote.

By the way I took care of Jason with some parts that we had extra to help him out.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
The bore job can be done cheap or done right!!! To bore cylinders with a torque plate and finish hone to each piston for a performance application is very important but if your throwing together a low compression touring bike you can get away with the cheap way.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
You mean like use a CNC lathe to bore the cylinder and finish with diamond hones?? Just giving you chit Tote.

By the way I took care of Jason with some parts that we had extra to help him out.
yep, like that and a lot of measurements on the final hone to size.

yep, he called me and was REALLY appreciative! he said he was going to write you a nice big thank you note! Josh that is. ;) chit bounces back, ya know! hahahaha....!!!

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Totenkopf said:
Exactly! the quality of the honing job makes a big difference in the outcome. Personally, if one of the really good guys charges $150 for a bore and hone versus an unknown or someone with less experience charges less, I'll pay the few extra bucks for the quality job, my dos centavos.
Tote,
I like the way you think.
Regards

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Cylinders

Here, we have always considered the ability to correctly bore and torque hone a set of cylinders, ground level, basic, engine building skills. Not hard to do it right, once you know how to do it right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts