V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ive been reading for a couple weeks on this subject and everyone has different opinions with different setups so id like to give you my plans and get everyones opinions and advice. ive got a 03 roadking efi w/ stage 1 download se air cleaner, thunderheader 2-1, and pcIII. im going with a 95" big bore kit with se flat top pistons, cams and heads ported by indy sent to by dealer. i think the head work is pretty much just porting no valve work or anything like that. so my questions are what would be the best cam been leaning towards andrews 26 or 37 but am open to suggestions except im not going to gear driven because of $$$$. im about 260lbs and ride 2up alot. i want good low and mid power but also dont want any fairly stock lighter 88 bike passing or pulling away from me at 60-80mph. should i or do i need the cometic .030 gasket and would i have enough work done for the 37s to perform well. also what kind of numbers can i expect to see. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
jgoody said:
ok ive been reading for a couple weeks on this subject and everyone has different opinions with different setups so id like to give you my plans and get everyones opinions and advice. ive got a 03 roadking efi w/ stage 1 download se air cleaner, thunderheader 2-1, and pcIII. im going with a 95" big bore kit with se flat top pistons, cams and heads ported by indy sent to by dealer. i think the head work is pretty much just porting no valve work or anything like that. so my questions are what would be the best cam been leaning towards andrews 26 or 37 but am open to suggestions except im not going to gear driven because of $$$$. im about 260lbs and ride 2up alot. i want good low and mid power but also dont want any fairly stock lighter 88 bike passing or pulling away from me at 60-80mph. should i or do i need the cometic .030 gasket and would i have enough work done for the 37s to perform well. also what kind of numbers can i expect to see. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
26 would be better,would pull hard between 2200-4000,i think you will have to keep ypur c.r at about 9.3 max.

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
At 70mph in 5th gear the 26 and 37 are about equal.
Under 70 the 26 wins. Over 70 the 37 wins. If they are at optimal compression for that cam.

You don't seem to know if your heads are being CC'ed. As stock heads vary a lot, you should have this done.

The 37 would like your heads milled to 80cc with the .030 cometic.
The 26 would like your heads milled to 82cc with the .030 cometic (which is the same as 80cc with a .040 cometic).

These "optimal" compressions both work out to just under 190 psi CCP at sea level and require premium (91-93 octane) pump gas to prevent ping in hot weather. Since you are in Iowa, you shouldn't have to worry as much about the high temps at low altitudes as those of us on the southern coasts. Some who are worried about ping because of no premium gas at sea level in hot weather, back off to about 185 psi CCP (82cc for the 37 or 84cc for the 26, both with .030 head gasket)

Oh yeah, you asked about "numbers" too. Peak numbers mean less to a bagger ridden two up with a least one heavy rider. The location of the torque on the curve is more important. Both should give about a 100 ft-lbs at 3000rpm (70mph in 5th). Below that the 26 has more torque and above that the 37 has more torque. Look in the dyno section for curves.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Either way, no stage1 88 incher is gonna get away from you at 60-80, not even close! You will blow em away!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys i also andrews tech today and he more or less recommended the 26 also. thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts