V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen or heard anything about Big Bear Choppers ??
Looking for opinions
Thanks

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
I visited their outfit last tuesday.. looks pretty good. I like the quality. Most parts are made on site. I am looking for a dealer that'll give me a discount on the kit, cause I'd like to build one TO SELL. I question the resale value of these bikes, as there are 2 sitting in the local (SO CAL) cycle trader for about 2 months. Both have less than 1000 miles, and both WILL sell for less than the kit price. Both have $3000 in paint. What's your feeling??

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is why I was asking actually. I wanted to possibly buy a kit build it to sell. I saw a clip about them on American Thunder on the Speed chanel. I liked the idea that most of the parts are made on site. The bikes look good too. I dont know doesnt look like there is much money to be made onit. I guess If I was to build it for myself it would be OK. That is what I am looking to do. Build some bikes to sell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kit Bikes

Just a feel thoughts.............. Kits Bikes in kit form or completed are real hard to get a loan on. That kind of limits your buyer to a cash sale. In addition its pretty tuff getting insurance on a kit bike as well, as soon as you say custom the insurance agent starts to get real negitive.

Some shops are beginning to sell these kits with a vin number already assigined this may help cure these problems

Ric

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good points some of which I was concerned about. Looks like BBC has the vin thing covered and the EPA stuff. Not to sure about insurance and the bank end of things. They concern me too. I guess I should send an e mail to Progressive or something. As for the banks I dont know more and more people use 401K loans and home equity loans too ? Al things to think about but there has to be a way to build bikes and make money for a living lol
:banana:

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
There won't be a problem with financing or insurance. These bikes are MANUFACTURED BIKES. The kit is virtually the same as a bike they'll build you, at less cost. My concern is that there are a few in the papers here, just waiting to be sold at a reduced price, so how would I be able to get $27 to $29 for the bike? Thats what its tecnically worth, since it would be the same as their biult bikes, which they do not discount.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah you got me worried there. I cant afford to have 20,000 just sitting around waiting to sell and then have to settle for a discount ouch. Do you think it is BBC or just chopper and custome bikes in general ? I am onthe East Coast it maybe different here. THis time of year I think you ae hard pressed to sell anything. Have you ever talked with them???

·
Registered
15 Posts
RE Big Bear

No I have never talked to them but the fact there kit comes with an S&S Motor as opposed to a revtech motor would be a plus for me. If you were building this bike to keep for yourself I would say pull the trigger. But to build a bike raw and insure everything fits tear it back down. Then have it painted and powder coated and put it all back together and make a profit?
Do you paint? weld? can you wire it yourself? If you don't paint a fairly simple paint job with light graphics is gonna be $1000 or more if you get crazy it can go up from there.

Can you sell this bike and make a profit? yes I think you could but I don't think you'd make enough to get excited about.

Go to: Http://www.cycletrader.com

Look at the custom bikes in your area. See the prices they are going for, it will give you a better idea of the market. I know shops here in Florida that are selling customs in the $20,000 range and they aren't setting the world on fire and we ride all year long.
My point is you are going to invest a chunk of money as well as some hard work building this bike with little or no guarantee that you will make a profit worth the work or investment. If you finished the bike completly for say $21,000 would you accept $22,000? This is a possibility you have to think about depending on how long you have it sooner or later you are gonna decide its got to go!

Ric

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I gotta say your kinda a bummer, but probably realistic:(
All that being said here is the kit I was looking at http://www.bigbearchoppers.com/bikes/sled/the_sled250_prostreet.html
the kit is 20,000 plus you would have to pay to get it here/ I would go with the one color powder coat deal that they offer in the assembled bikes. I would just get it done here. I think I can handle everything else that would be required. So they sell them at their location for 27,000. That would not include shipping. So whether you bought it from me or them you would have to pay shipping so that cost could be passed on to the customer. That could still leave a nice chopper for under 30,000. I am sure there wouldnt be a line at the door to buy it but the idea for me is to try to start a business selling bikes I am looking for options.................

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
2006 looming

don't know about how the new approaching EPA regs impact a kit BBC bike but I've heard it's going to be tough to be a small low volume bike builder/assembler next year. I think you'd make more $$$ taking EVO softails that can be bought cheaply and putting a PM phatail (or something similar for those of you that presently are hatin' on PM) kit on it and selling some one a H-D custom that can be readily insured & registered (as a HD). I'm real curious on how this is all going to shape up...

·
Registered
15 Posts
RE: Big Bear

It was not my intention to bring ya down just wanted you to look at the darker side. Stranger things have happened you may get $28,000 for that bike and life would be good. Keep the link for cycle trader it runs $45.00 for an ad in there with up to 6 pics. I've had great luck with them, thats the mag you see in the 7-11, circle k's ect with all the bike for sale.

I'd be interested to know how this shakes out for you, and needless to say if I can be of any help lemmie know.

Ric

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ricinfl said:
It was not my intention to bring ya down just wanted you to look at the darker side. Stranger things have happened you may get $28,000 for that bike and life would be good. Keep the link for cycle trader it runs $45.00 for an ad in there with up to 6 pics. I've had great luck with them, thats the mag you see in the 7-11, circle k's ect with all the bike for sale.

I'd be interested to know how this shakes out for you, and needless to say if I can be of any help lemmie know.

Ric
I appreciate your insight trust me. I am writting a letter to BBC with lots of questions and concerns. But people do start business' some make it some dont. I looked at some of the bikes on cycle trader someone had a BBC with a Rev Tech they must have bought the rolling chasis kit or something.
I did not take your comments the wrong way, just a taste of reality.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1bdBagr said:
don't know about how the new approaching EPA regs impact a kit BBC bike but I've heard it's going to be tough to be a small low volume bike builder/assembler next year. I think you'd make more $$$ taking EVO softails that can be bought cheaply and putting a PM phatail (or something similar for those of you that presently are hatin' on PM) kit on it and selling some one a H-D custom that can be readily insured & registered (as a HD). I'm real curious on how this is all going to shape up...
Interesting Idea. It does look like BBC has the EPA covered though they refer to it on their site.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Hey hotshot..

Go snoop around www.clubchopper.com

Lots of guys on that forum built BBC bikes and are now trying to sell them to build something else. BBC puts out a very good product but the cuctom market is FLOODED right now. I would think there would not be much money in a "build kit bikes at home for big bucks" scheme.

I have a 1 season old custom chopper that I would love to unload and only lose $10,000 but I can't even get that for it!!

But what do I know, I stayed in a Best Western last night:dunno:

Brad

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the link man I will check it out some more. Probably true about the market , just dont see where I said anything about big bucks just some bucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been doing just what you are asking about for about a year now. I have built both BBC and Custom Chrome bikes (4 over that last year). I have not gotten rich doing it but have made decent profit on each (3k-5k) depending on the model. BBC is by far a better kit bike for the up comming year as far as the EPA is concerned. I live in AZ and the market here seems to be extremly hot for these types of bikes. I did sell one thru e-bay as well. If you have any questions let me know.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pwrage2000 said:
I have been doing just what you are asking about for about a year now. I have built both BBC and Custom Chrome bikes (4 over that last year). I have not gotten rich doing it but have made decent profit on each (3k-5k) depending on the model. BBC is by far a better kit bike for the up comming year as far as the EPA is concerned. I live in AZ and the market here seems to be extremly hot for these types of bikes. I did sell one thru e-bay as well. If you have any questions let me know.
Good to get some positive feed back. I am in Maine. The down side here is that our riding season is short. The upside is everyone goes kinda nutty awaiting spring. I also think that the market here isnt flooded yet. You dont see that many of this style bike around still. Lots of Harley's just not as many custom's. Maybe at Laconia, but even there? Have they been a good company to deal with ? Hows the shipping ? How did you advertise ?
There was a big dog place that tried to open up and they went under after a year, big place lots of over head. There is another place that does Iron Horse they have been around for a while now. I think the BBC looks a lot more like a real custom then the others I mentioned. Which models did you do ???
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
Good to get some positive feed back. I am in Maine. The down side here is that our riding season is short. The upside is everyone goes kinda nutty awaiting spring. I also think that the market here isnt flooded yet. You dont see that many of this style bike around still. Lots of Harley's just not as many custom's. Maybe at Laconia, but even there? Have they been a good company to deal with ? Hows the shipping ? How did you advertise ?
There was a big dog place that tried to open up and they went under after a year, big place lots of over head. There is another place that does Iron Horse they have been around for a while now. I think the BBC looks a lot more like a real custom then the others I mentioned. Which models did you do ???
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!
I have nothing but good things to say about the company. Last year the shipping times got extended but they have gotten them down to just a few weeks now. The time involved is typically getting all the parts pulled for the order, the actuall shipping time is only a few days. I know a couple companies (One In Ohio) that sometimes keeps a few in stock and can ship next day once payment is received. Most of the advertising we do is in the local cycle trader and web. We try and get out to as many local shows as we can (Bike, car, etc). The best is just word of mouth and riding one of the bikes around and keeping a bunch of bussiness cards with you. We have built the Venom pro street, Venom chopper from big bear and two of the Hard Core II from custom chrome.

·
Registered
497 Posts
BBC is a motorcycle manufacturer, just like Harley Davidson is, so there will be no problem in financing and insuring these bikes.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds good things are looking good to give the BBC kit a try

1 - 20 of 20 Posts