V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Tar snakes come on down to GA and pretty much every road in the good riding areas have them. Gets hot then gets interesting definitely a speed reducer in corners etc.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I never had too much trouble with the tar snakes until the hot weather hit this summer.
Riding through a traffic circle I had the front end slide at every snake. Pucker value 10.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Where in thee hell are roads where the tar is like that? Looks like someone's been finger painting with tar....never seen roads like that before.
Been to Michigan lately? Here they fill in a little tar, fill with gravel and crushed rock, more tar and then some more crushed rock. Then they put a sign on the side of the road "Fresh tar". I've seen a couple of bikes go down in that crap. Not to mention the layer of crap now glued to your bike or truck.

·
Premium Member
4,718 Posts
Been to Michigan lately? Here they fill in a little tar, fill with gravel and crushed rock, more tar and then some more crushed rock. Then they put a sign on the side of the road "Fresh tar". I've seen a couple of bikes go down in that crap. Not to mention the layer of crap now glued to your bike or truck.
The local DOT has started to use that technique around here. They've ruined several of my normal country road routes that I ride in the evening just to burn of steam.

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
In NC they tar snake the road. Leave it like that for a couple years . Then spread tar over the road and cover with gray gravel. The road looks smooth, but has hidden bumps and grooves. Down here if you want smooth tarmac for a road best to live next door to a politician.

tarheel

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
I rarely see them around here. Of course we also have very few high speed corners, so they probably wouldn't be much of a concern if we did.

~Pete

·
Cajun Peauxseur
5,384 Posts
Dead Horse Point, Utah. Almost took a ride over the edge of a cliff because of one of these little basturds.

Early morning ride, cool temps, feet up on the highway pegs, cruising along and came around to the shady side of the mountain and hit a tar snake with both wheels perfectly.

Bike slid out from under me and my brother tells me I was just a couple of inches from the edge - and no guardrails.

I wanted to look so bad, but my head kept screaming, "Look where you want to go!" and I just focused on the other side of the road and pushed hard on the handlebars.

Training is my friend!

Took me a good while to get comfortable with those damn things again. Still not a big fan!

·
Premium Member
14,468 Posts
Dead Horse Point, Utah. Almost took a ride over the edge of a cliff because of one of these little basturds.

Early morning ride, cool temps, feet up on the highway pegs, cruising along and came around to the shady side of the mountain and hit a tar snake with both wheels perfectly.

Bike slid out from under me and my brother tells me I was just a couple of inches from the edge - and no guardrails.

I wanted to look so bad, but my head kept screaming, "Look where you want to go!" and I just focused on the other side of the road and pushed hard on the handlebars.

Training is my friend!

Took me a good while to get comfortable with those damn things again. Still not a big fan!
Change of shorts?

:xhere:

·
hippie
5,106 Posts
wow d,, close call for sure,,, we have them damn things all over now, sherri and i came around the corner going on to our road the first day they applied it, damn i thought i lost a tire or a bearing. i have noticed they fade or get wore in after a couple months of traffic.. piss poor repair imo..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been noticing it around my neck of the woods lately too. I've never noticed that kind of sealant around here before, I'll tell you that. Kind of unnerving the first time you hit it and the tire starts sliding on what you thought was a clear road.

·
Super Moderator
19,631 Posts
I had to opportunity to ask one of our dedicated street workers just WTF they were spraying on the road. Told me it's a latex based crack filler, as opposed to the old hot tar. EPA friendly, and the only thing that can be used when the FED's are paying the tab these days. The stuff is like black plastic when it gets hard. Never seems to really lay out even with the surface of the road. And the snow plows scrape it off with ease, prolly because it stands up higher than the pavement.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Worst I have seen them are on Roads in North GA.. If it's wet or super hot do not death grip them just be ready for a scary few seconds now and then .. Has worked so far ..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, the snake is not new. In my life, I don't control my bike many times, and many people in front of me slick down for the snake cases.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts