V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,631 Posts
This new stuff they are using is worse than the old "Tar" sealant. It never gets soft enough to lay down smooth, it's always an eighth to quarter inch thick. And it's hard and slick, like plastic. Prolly is some sort of environmentally friendly plastic.

It's not bad at speed. But in a slow corner it can really cause some concern, when the tire side slips past it.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I recently mentioned this in the slid post, yes not new.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,249 Posts
Where in thee hell are roads where the tar is like that? Looks like someone's been finger painting with tar....never seen roads like that before.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
They're all over the place here, and have been. Can induce a wobble, mostly on secondary / country roads
And they are often more than just a single line. A lot of the corners have four or five squiggles to a great big patch of the crap. Even make my Buell unsteady. Best thing you can do is not panic, just let it ride on through with the slide until the tire grips again and things are normally OK.

But they are dangerous and the highway department doesn't seem to care how it is applied or what it can do.

I've even had my car slide on some patch jobs.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
We don't have too many tar snakes. The freaking pot holes eat 'em up.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
And they are often more than just a single line. A lot of the corners have four or five squiggles to a great big patch of the crap. Even make my Buell unsteady. Best thing you can do is not panic, just let it ride on through with the slide until the tire grips again and things are normally OK.

But they are dangerous and the highway department doesn't seem to care how it is applied or what it can do.

I've even had my car slide on some patch jobs.
My Road King handles the snakes fairly well. But it seems they'd be more of a challenge for bikes with the skinny rubber bands on the front end.

My truck has decent tires and a fairly wide stance, so no problems there. But there have been a couple of times on hot days when I can actually hear the tires sticking/releasing from the tar snakes, weird. Seems that would indicate they're soft and probably more slippery.... bad for bikers.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
We don't have too many tar snakes. The freaking pot holes eat 'em up.
For the most part our county & state roads around here are pretty good, considering the winter weather, salt, and such. And not too many pot holes. Prolly one of the bennies of paying 3-4 times the taxes as most of the rest of the country :whistle: But allot of street/roads in the city (Syracuse) and inside the small towns have plenty of pot holes, that don't get patched up. They sure can beat up on the bike, and rattle the ol' teeth too :spank:

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Where in thee hell are roads where the tar is like that? Looks like someone's been finger painting with tar....never seen roads like that before.
There's a curvy side road about a mile from my house that is all tar snakes, in which I mostly avoid.

rkc

·
Registered
460 Posts
Have seen this on many local roads in CT. Yes, you can feel the rear wheel "sliding" and it is quite nerve wracking when you ride over it even on slight curves.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Got a **** load in NJ, the highway dept used to put some sand in the tar mix but no longer do. Guess the sand cost to much, we just don't have any beaches full of sand here.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts