V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Restless
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine that is a regional rep for Coats had a conversation with a couple of Metzeler reps the other day when they were at his office about the 150/80-16 rear tire he installed for me on my Ultra. He said the reps recommended a MAX upsizing for 04' touring models and up to be limited to a 140/90-16 on the rear. The reason being the higher load rating of the 140 at 906 lbs compared to the lower load rating of the 150 which is 761 lbs. Although they have not experienced a failure as of yet, their opinion is that the 150 on a heavy touring bike fully loaded with a passenger could cause excessive stress on the sidewall and present a hazzard. They acknowledge the fact that the tire will fit within the confines of the rear suspension and that the rim width permitted as stated in their literature ranges from a minimum of 3 to a max of 4 inches for that tire size, but they do not suggest running it on a heavy touring bike. Other than the word coming for a couple Metzler reps, which I appreciated, I wanted to discuss it with tech at Metzler US in Atlanta. I finally got through yesterday and he basically stated the same thing. So.....

My conclusion and IMO this tire should be fine on a stripped down tourer that is ridden solo only. Stripped down being no tourpack. I feel comfortable after doing some weight calculations that there is plenty of a reserve tire load rating running the 150 on my Ultra minus the tourpack and no passengers. My wife has a Deluxe and doesn't ride with me unless it's a big 5k trip somewhere which we will probably do one of those trips this year towards the fall. So my plan is to run this 150 until fall and go back to the 140/90 before taking a long trip loaded down with a passenger. It just seems the safe and sensible thing to do.

I thought some of you all should be aware of this. Because I would sure hate to see anyone here have a failure and get hurt or killed from overloading the 150.

Ride safe.
 

·
Premium octane member
Joined
·
7,381 Posts
Good info Timbo. I was worried about that as well when i changed from the stock dunlop. I figuered that i have an equiv of a streetglide now and barely ever ride 2 up with a tourpack. I think ill be o.k. i just keep a good on my pressure all the time...I also change them way before they are needed to.
 

·
Knower of Stuff
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
Good info TImbo.
It is a good reminder to all of us to pay attention to the load and speed rating of our tires. They are the only thing between us and the road. The load rating of the tire should always be observed coupled with the proper tire pressure for the load.
Thanks for the heads up on that tire, seems backwards for a bigger tire, but it comes down to the tire construction and the manufacture's tire rating.
Ride safe all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,942 Posts
Thanks for posting that bit of information, Timbo. I was strongly considering that 150/80-16 on my loaded down Road King. NOW, I think I'll go with the 140/90-16.

thrasher
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,044 Posts
Good info,I run two up and loaded for bear but I'm on a 140 so all is well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Timbo... as you know, I run the 150 and am dismayed to hear your news. I run solo 95% of the time, but now you have me worried for the 5%. I sure love the look.

If Metzeler recognizes this, are they planning to do something about it... or was that top secret?

Thanks for the heads up.
 

·
Restless
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
8-Ball said:
If Metzeler recognizes this, are they planning to do something about it... or was that top secret?

Thanks for the heads up.
No, nothing about it was top secret. The gist I get is that Meteler hopes that people will use their motorcycle to tire application guide and go with the recommended tire listed for their model bike. The recommended model tire listed covers all the bases, unloaded vs. loaded vs. touring and loaded etc. Although the 150 will work, it's just not suitable for all the load variance situations that the 140 can cover very easily. The only thing I think they should do is remove their "rims permitted" column on the product brochure and stick with just the recommended rim width. IMO, having the rim "width permitted" column just leaves too much of a grey area.

I didn't expect tech to bless the 150 anyway over the recommended 140. They would be negligent to do that. However IMO, I think the 150 is fine for solo light touring situations. And since I won't be touring solo 100% of the time I have decided to go back to the 140 before a big two up trip which will be around the fall. I should easily be ready for a tire by then if not before. To me the wider look of the 150 just isn't worth the risk when riding two up and fully loaded especially since the 140 is the recommended max.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
Damn thanks Timbo, I was about 15 minutes from ordering my tires then I read the new post. I just did some quick research and the Avon website has a 150 rated at 77 / 906 lbs for the baggers, their fitment chart recomends the 140 with an upgrade to the 150. both sizes have the same rating on the venom AM41 and AM42 series touring/cruser tires. Looks like im going with the venom. Thanks again!
 

·
Restless
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Peacekeeper said:
Damn thanks Timbo, I was about 15 minutes from ordering my tires then I read the new post. I just did some quick research and the Avon website has a 150 rated at 77 / 906 lbs for the baggers, their fitment chart recomends the 140 with an upgrade to the 150. both sizes have the same rating on the venom AM41 and AM42 series touring/cruser tires. Looks like im going with the venom. Thanks again!
Great research! I should thank you as well for pointing out what looks like to be higher load rating for a 150 series tire. I don't have any knowledge on or experience with Avon tires, but from what I've read around here in the past they are pretty good.

Let us know how you like them as I may consider them an alternative the next go around.
 

·
Knower of Stuff
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
Just for reference, a stock D402F Dunlap MT90B16 that came on my "99 EG is rated at 827 lbs. Not has high as a Metzler 140.
The Dunlap Elite 3 MU90B16 which is similiar to the Metzs 140 is rated at 930 lbs and they make a 160 rated at 992 lbs. The 160/80b16 is actually 155 wide.
Just an FYI
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=86
 

·
Nice to ride again :-)
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
Good Info Tim.

Weren't you working on a project for "us" on a oil cooler protector or something? ^rolleyez^

When I went to get new tires at my favorite Yamaha Shop, the Service Manager talked me out of the 150 for that reason, load rating. Been going there forever for inspection and tires, and I trust him.

I mean 210 of me, the tour pack, my girl 122, and all our "stuff" camera, laptop, tools, leathers, blah blah. I just did not want to risk it for such a minutely wider tire, that don't mean squat.

I ran Avon's on my Sporty and when these Metzler's go, that is what I will go to next.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,981 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I too was getting ready to order new tires, found the Venoms pretty cheap too. I love the metz's but wanted to go to 150 and I need all the load capicity I can get!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Okay.. just to be clear...

The Avon Venom 150 has an appropriate load rating for touring?

Doe the Avon Venom 150 fit like the Met. ME880 150?

If this is the case... that is the way I will go next, but I would like confirmation first.
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
8-Ball said:
Okay.. just to be clear...

The Avon Venom 150 has an appropriate load rating for touring?

Doe the Avon Venom 150 fit like the Met. ME880 150?

If this is the case... that is the way I will go next, but I would like confirmation first.
Yes, it has a 908 load rating.
The Avon is slightly narrower than the ME880.
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
LittleBear said:
Just for reference, a stock D402F Dunlap MT90B16 that came on my "99 EG is rated at 827 lbs. Not has high as a Metzler 140.
The Dunlap Elite 3 MU90B16 which is similiar to the Metzs 140 is rated at 930 lbs and they make a 160 rated at 992 lbs. The 160/80b16 is actually 155 wide.
Just an FYI
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=86
LittleBear, the tire in question is the D402F Dunlop MU85B16 which is rated at 77H (908#).
 

·
Restless
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LAF said:
Good Info Tim.

Weren't you working on a project for "us" on a oil cooler protector or something? ^rolleyez^
Yes that is still on my agenda. But unfortunately my time has been spread pretty thin here lately at work and on the homefront. I have thought about the engineering aspect of it though here and there. Now it's just a matter of finding that spare time around the shop I thought I was going to have.:hmmm:
 

·
Knower of Stuff
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
wkohn:
LittleBear, the tire in question is the D402F Dunlop MU85B16 which is rated at 77H (908#).
Yes I realize that, I was just making referece to my bike which had a lower rated stock tire on it but still higher than the Metz 150. Harley changed to the D402F Dunlop MU85B16 in "04 which has a higher rating than the previous bike tires HD used. Also was just providing additional info on the new Dunlap Elite 3's, which have a tread pattern much like a Metz, and have a higher rating.
Sorry for any confusion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
The Dunlop 3 is too wide I think for the 150 width... not sure... comments?
The Met barely fits at 6.02 width and the Dunlop 3 is 6.1 width.

The Avon looks better. Here is the link:

http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/us/en/Product.asp?ProdType=CruiserTouring

I am going with the following so far:

Avon Venom Cruiser
Front AM41------------Rim------Rim Width----Tire Width
MT90B16--74---H----3.00D------2.5 to 3.5-------5.4

Rear AM42
150/80B16-77--H---MT3.50-------3 to 4----------5.9

Here is a question.... why the MT wheel/rim designation for the rear and not the front. What does that stand for? I have the cast wheels front and rear.

What do you guys think?

Avon versus Met.????
 

·
Restless
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
8-Ball said:
The Dunlop 3 is too wide I think for the 150 width... not sure... comments?
The Met barely fits at 6.02 width and the Dunlop 3 is 6.1 width.

The Avon looks better. Here is the link:

http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/us/en/Product.asp?ProdType=CruiserTouring

I am going with the following so far:

Avon Venom Cruiser
Front AM41------------Rim------Rim Width----Tire Width
MT90B16--74---H----3.00D------2.5 to 3.5-------5.4

Rear AM42
150/80B16-77--H---MT3.50-------3 to 4----------5.9

Here is a question.... why the MT wheel/rim designation for the rear and not the front. What does that stand for? I have the cast wheels front and rear.

What do you guys think?

Avon versus Met.????
You will find that some manufacturers like Dunlop use what is known as an "Alpha" code to represent a tire size.

For instance a Metzeler 130/90-16 (130/90 being a metric measurement) has an Alpha code equivalent of a MT90. An MT90 by the way can be used as either front or rear and will be designated by design as either a front or rear per the manufacturer.

Alpha codes for a for a 140/90-16 can be a MU85 or MU90. Codes for a 150/80-16 would be a MV85.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top