about one month a year

The bike, 2001 FLHT, bone stock, never run hard, oil changed 2500-3000
miles since the 1k, hell I even changed the oil on it on the way home
from the dealer I bought it at, around 300 miles. Darn near all the
miles are touring back roads around 65-75mph

·
Registered
104 Posts
That sure bites! You gotta wonder where the rest of it ended up, bet it did 'chatter". My 2002 FLHT has been at its dealer for two weeks as of today looking for the valve train clatter on ly I can hear. Now I got more noises to worry about. I'm never comfortable with using the thicker grade oil, those were straight weights weren't they?, I would worry that viscosities that high the flowability at start up would be minimal?

·
Registered
629 Posts
That was way to think of oil. I would rather run it thin and question the pressure then run it thick and question whether it is even gettting to any parts.

I run 70 my tranny's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
While we're talking about 2002 FLHT's, oil and the heat here's one for you. I have a 2002 Ultra and live in Texas. My Ultra has 10k miles on it. I run full synthetic in the crank and tranny. I've have the Stage 1 kit installed, run with V&H slipon's and just installed the HD oil cooler for the Ultra. OK, so much for the background... I'm heading back from a biker event last week and hit some stop & go traffic. Ended up sitting at a stoplight for a few cycles - probably about 5 minutes. I take off on the green light, go about 50 yards and the Ultra dies - a complete power loss. Not even the radio or clock are operational. I was heading downhill at the time (the gods were with me) so I coasted about 100 yards to a parking lot. I sat there for a couple of minutes figuring out what to do next. For some reason I switched the ignition switch back on and my power was back. Hmmm, flipped the ignition switch and the Ultra started right up and off I went. So, this leads me to my question - anyone else ever have this problem ? is there a heat sensitive breaker on the 2002's which trips if the engine overheats to prevent engine damage ? Maybe something in the voltage regulator - the oil cooler mounts directly under the regulator. Any comments or theories ?

Thanx.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Running that heavy an oil in a TC is a stupid pet trick, it's not a shovel anymore.
If you follow the oiling circuit you'll see the chains are pretty much the last component to get oil, after the top end. With that weight oil they would run dry much longer then designed upon every start up.

Even so, it is not the direct cause. Fellow just doesn't know where to look.

It is not wide spread, but once in a while you find a bike with the worn tensioner shoes. I can also tell you we run pretty big cams with the chains and have no tensioner wear problems whatsoever.

As far as the elecrical problem, yeah, it happens and seen it a number of times, but it's the first time I hear of it happening on a 02. The bike needs to be gone thru systematically as there are a number of possible causes that range from primary wiring problems, the main breaker and the ignition switch.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My 97 FLHT did that dieing trick last year at Humboldt ,the ABATE of Iowa yearly party over the 4th of July. Then again on the way home from it.
It turned out to be the ign. switch, if you have a buddy with a bike with the same kind of switch turn them both on and off and pay attention to how the detents feel.
I didnt notice it till I changed ming but the old one you could hardly feel them anymore, so it wasn't holding the switch in place and would move just far enough to shut itself off.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Wow 33,000 miles on a 2001? Not that it's any excuse but, holy s__t!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my '00 ultra. At first I thought it was the lean angle switch. Replaced it, seemed to work fine, but then again in the heat, it dies. Just like you turned off the switch. Replaced the main breaker and 2000k miles later, no worries. (Knocks on wood)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also had the problem with an 02 FLHRCI where when it got really hot, that it would crank and not start. After a number of trips to the dealer, a faulty crank position sensor that went to ground when hot was detected. Without this sensor, the bike will not run at all.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Tensioner shoes = Sacrificial parts to a certain extent. Expedited by this waterhead to... Run 70 weight in a Twin Cam = Pumping mud!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts