V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
PHUCKING BIKER!
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10/2000 Bought baker/jims 6 speed for my dyna with 5k on the odometer. 7/01 6spd shelled out stranding me in southwest kansas.Jims replaced it, course I was out the install and associated costs. Trans had about 11k miles on it. 11/04 trans started missing shifts had about 40k miles on it, put another $1000 in this pos tranny. 8/08 with about 50k miles on it This fine tranny shelled out again , stranding me in Nebraska, totally trashed a nice road trip. Had to rent a truck to get it back to Phoenix. BEWARE!

·
PHUCKING BIKER!
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st time both trap door bearings went out. 2nd time springs were weak and 4th gear on countershaft were pitted badly. 3rd time counter shaft trap door bearing, hand grenaded . #1 cycles took 4 hours to get it apart, full of metal. The thing that really pisses me off is that JIMS doesnt seem to want to talk to the end user. Ive been tryin to get ahold of them since the 9/4. They are really proud of their American made product,3 major failures in about 52k miles I dont think its much better than revtech. Stock 5 spd is going back in, guess Ill be usin more gas.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Had to replace the third gear shift fork in my Baker DD6.The transmission would bounce the shifter when going into 3rd gear.Notfied Baker and they expressed the older DD6 had problems with that particular fork.They sent a new one out and just finished installing it.Much better now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I picked up a brand new, (with MSO) Ultima 6 spd, with a 3yr 36k warranty for 595, in my bobber build with a built evo motor, and a suicide shift.... best 595 I spent, going to convert my 05 springer later this year

·
Registered
22 Posts
I picked up a brand new, (with MSO) Ultima 6 spd, with a 3yr 36k warranty for 595, in my bobber build with a built evo motor, and a suicide shift.... best 595 I spent, going to convert my 05 springer later this year
Nice.. I have an 01 Road Glide and am wanting a 6 Speed tranny.. Where can I get an Ultra at the price you paid?? thx..

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Nice.. I have an 01 Road Glide and am wanting a 6 Speed tranny.. Where can I get an Ultra at the price you paid?? thx..
Not sure you'll get a reply out of dobain...his last post was in May 2009. Maybe someone else will respond to your question.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure you'll get a reply out of dobain...his last post was in May 2009. Maybe someone else will respond to your question.
Thanks.. didn't even look at the post date..LOL...

Maybe someone else has more current info.. I just did a thread search about 6 speed Trannys..

Getting tired of trying to click up oot of that 5th gear.. :whistle:

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Some of the earlier baker transmissions used c-clips to hold in the trap door bearing, which broke do to the pressure from the hellical cut gears, which let the bearings work their way out. Newer transmissions use a plate to hold in the bearings.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have had zero problems from my Ultima! Trick is to use all Harley bearings. Trap door, maindrive gear, countershaft, etc.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I installed a 34 tooth pulley instead of the stock 32 tooth pulley when I spun the drive pulley a couple of years back.
Works great on the highway, and my mileage went up a LOT.
Guess it dropped the RPMs just enough to make a difference.
I had to move the wheel forward a bit to compensate, but it has worked out great.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
had to replace the shift drum on a Baker DD7. Manufacturing defect. Again, part covered under warranty but still out the time and labor

·
Registered
187 Posts
My JIMS (Baker patent) is finally giving up the ghost at 32K. I put up with the 6th. gear roar for years and ran every possible fluid known to mankind, except banana peels, and it never would shut-up in 6th. gear. The last time I drained the fluid and tried some Redline....enough metal flakes came out with the fluid to build a few new gears. No gear teeth....just lots of shiny little particles. JIMS offered to take it back and re-build it for $360 plus parts. How in the he!! was I suppose to know what it would have cost and they also said I would still have noise in 6th. NO THANKS JIMS! Mine had the plate that retains those itty-bitty trap door bearings and that obviously made no difference.

I have enough motor to pull a 34-tooth pulley in 5th., so my 5-speed is going back in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
jims 6 speed

I have to agree. My bike has left me stranded twice because of the jims 6 speed. I had it rebuilt did fine for a whole three months. Then Jims has not done anything but give me a run around ever since. They have not stood behind the warranty at all. My mechanic has gotten the run around and he was the install mechanic once they rebuilt. Sure sounds great until your on the side of the road, or on the ground like the first time when the gears went and it locked up and bucked me off and that is hard to do on a bike that the seat is 18 inches off the ground. So believe you you want but the tranny is trouble and their service is worse.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts