V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up, people...I just bought an '02 Sporty about 2 months ago. I was already sick of the stock headlamp; as I do a lot of night riding. The low beam was mediocre, but the high beam shot off into 3 beams with nothing at all in front of you on the road. So I searched the net; here's what I found and what I did. I went to www.classicgarage.com, and ordered a HELLA brand 5-3/4" EUROPEAN SPEC H-4 headlamp (new / different lens, reflector, and bulb). Cost me like $38.00---It's actually an upgrade for many euro cars with sealed beam headlamps,(Audi's, Beetles, etc..) and is a direct replacement for the stock headlamp, but has a better grade of reflector, and a completely different sculpted lens (throws the light out in a much better pattern). I ordered the setup with the standard H-4 60hi / 55 low halogen bulb, figured I'd try this first before putting a hyperwhite or "Xenon" bulb in. It doesn't matter how powerful or bright a bulb you put in; you gotta have the headlamp assembly to throw the light out right. Installation took all of 15 minutes and man, what a HUGE difference! Just unscrew both trim rings, and the old one slides out. Disconnect the wire harness, and install the new one. Don't forget you can re-aim your headlight to YOUR liking by popping the little chrome cap off the top of the headlamp visor and loosening the 3/4" nut underneath. You can always put a hotter or better bulb in, whatever you want. And it's STREET LEGAL!

(Also fits Dynas, so I'm told) And they make 7" ones (for the bigger bikes?) but don't know about the fit.

Hope it helps somebody. I'm sure glad I found the info.

Ride safe--Ride often!
Rob

·
Registered
875 Posts
good tip, the link to www.classicgarage.com doesnt work right now, I will check it later, did you just change the inerds? or the case also?

·
Registered
875 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't change the case....

2 trim rings---off.
pull headlamp out of rubber surround.
pull cannon plug off of back of bulb.
remove rubber boot.

install new headlamp in reverse order.
remember to wipe the bulb glass down with alcohol before assembly.
and don't touch the glass!

NO wiring changes, or housing (case) changes. Just the headlamp assembly.

www.classicgarage.com

P.S. if you shop elsewhere, make sure you get the right one, a lot of places sell headlamps with JUST high or JUST low beams. Get the dual.

L8R,
Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts