V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve had several Harleys and 3 metric cruisers, but now? Of all those bikes (Harleys) I must confess, the most comfortable and best handling Harley I’ve had is the 2000 Harley Davidson Softail Springer, with almost 15k in OEM everything chromed by the original owner who was a doctor and could afford it. This Harley has 24000 original miles on it now, this bike is such a joy to ride around town or on the highway cruising at 70 MPH hours.. just wanted to share the Softail story since I noticed your story! Keep riding and stay healthy brother !! View attachment 272105
View attachment 272106
View attachment 272107

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve had several Harleys and 3 metric cruisers, but now? Of all those bikes (Harleys) I must confess, the most comfortable and best handling Harley I’ve had is the 2000 Harley Davidson Softail Springer, with almost 15k in OEM everything chromed by the original owner who was a doctor and could afford it. This Harley has 24000 original miles on it now, this bike is such a joy to ride around town or on the highway cruising at 70 MPH hours.. just wanted to share the Softail story since I noticed your story! Keep riding and stay healthy brother !! View attachment 272105
View attachment 272106
View attachment 272107
2000 Harley Davidson Softail Springer

·
Registered
1993 FXDWG and 1990 FXRS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
INV50,
thanks for sharing your experience. Great looking bike. My buddy loves his softail, and has been through several suspension systems, now back to the stock shocks. I dont know where it comes from, but I've always preferred a dual shock, or hardtail. Ride safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
INV50,
thanks for sharing your experience. Great looking bike. My buddy loves his softail, and has been through several suspension systems, now back to the stock shocks. I dont know where it comes from, but I've always preferred a dual shock, or hardtail. Ride safe.
I have duel shocks in the rear and I’ve never had any problems whatsoever with the ride. Thank bro .

·
Registered
5 Posts
I myself bought a 1992 fxrs lowrider in 1997. it was my first Harley. When I purchased it it had 23k on it. I put a wideglide trees on it and it handled even better. I traded it in for a 02 roadking in 04. The lowrider had 76k on her. 4 trips to Sturgis. Several 1k round trips. It was also a daily rider until temps hit 45 degrees. I did have a lot of motor issues with it. I lost a year due to a cam bearing going out. push rod block gasket leaks, things like that. On my final ride I rode to Florida to visit a friend. He just happen to work at a Harley shop. Him and his boss talked me into a trade. That was a 02 road king I'm still on that bike. I do wish I still had that lowrider though. Every time I get on ebay or a site that sells bikes I look for another one. So which ever one you choose for your long hauler enjoy and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
1993 FXDWG and 1990 FXRS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks 92,
Funny you mention it, I checked mine out and it seems to have a leaky rocker block. I had an '02 Electraglide standard for a bit, also. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Ride safe.

·
Registered
1993 FXDWG and 1990 FXRS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Not that I expect anyone to be too interested, but here are a couple pics of the new girl. Front suspension is junk. It's still got all the air stuff, except for the plumbed handlebars, and air. Thus, you hit the brakes at a roll in the driveway and the bottom tree slams into the fork brace. i think i'm on the "get progressive or racetech springs" and go conventional with it?

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
1993 FXDWG and 1990 FXRS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It warmed up yesterday, so I took the new bike out for a shake down. I took the air stuff off and added some oil and capped the forks until I get my springs, rebuild kit etc. Holy Crap! I forgot how quick handling and smooth these bikes are. I know I had a stupid grin on my face the whole time! Pretty sure I'm going to use it for commuting, local rides under 300 miles and riding two up with the wife. Thats about it with that pillow seat. We will see from there. I also have a set of original bags on the way for potential short overnighters. thanks all, appreciate it.

TT,
those pipes do make good, smooth power. Damn, makes me want to go ride it right now!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the Bubs on my FXR3. Mine are longer, the top pipe reaches almost to the rear axle. Maybe an inch or two away. Picked up a factory exhaust to put mine back to stock. It only has 6,500 original miles. I put 2,450 on it since I bought it last May.

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 FXDWG and 1990 FXRS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Beautiful Bike! I did figure out mine are Bubs, its only marked on the bracket. I'm pretty much setting mine up to commute, do local rides and run the twisties, for now. The dealer I got it from found the original bags, in their stock room, they say they look pretty clean so those are on the way.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Beautiful Bike! I did figure out mine are Bubs, its only marked on the bracket. I'm pretty much setting mine up to commute, do local rides and run the twisties, for now. The dealer I got it from found the original bags, in their stock room, they say they look pretty clean so those are on the way.
Awesome, I have a Roadglide for when we ride 2 up. The FXR is just for me. Been enjoying it a lot. I wish you many miles of enjoyment.

·
Registered
1993 FXDWG and 1990 FXRS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Just a little update: The guy I bought the bike from had the canvas /leather bags for it. I tried a windshield, but didnt really like it. To get the right height I went with 6 and 8 inch straight risers with tracker bars. After getting the suspension more sorted, I really enjoyed it and wanted to ride it more. I decided to follow my long chased dream and found an OEM FXRT fairing that had been taken off a bike in the 90's and put in the rafters. It was complete with original radio as well as the gauge pods with clock and gauges. I think I'm going to pursue some re-pop hard bags for it, but its good to go for whatever comes now. We will see how it goes.

Tire Wheel Cloud Fuel tank Sky

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Cloud Fuel tank Sky
Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

21 - 40 of 42 Posts